• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • awptickes

Jun 26, 2011
    N. Of Perryville
    Thanks to JDRamsey, I was able to build my two kits this past weekend.

Two Romanian G weapons, one is a 1980, the other is a 1978. I still haven't figured out what I'm going to do with either yet as far as furniture. :D

Now, since the friend who was going to let me use his TIG told me that he can't let me walk into his shop with an AK because his boss will kill him, I need to find an alternative method to getting the rails installed. :(

Attachments

• photo-5_small.jpg
      photo-5_small.jpg
      76.7 KB · Views: 409

aquaman

Ultimate Member
    Sep 21, 2008
    Belcamp, MD
    Thanks to JDRamsey, I was able to build my two kits this past weekend.

Two Romanian G weapons, one is a 1980, the other is a 1978. I still haven't figured out what I'm going to do with either yet as far as furniture. :D

Now, since the friend who was going to let me use his TIG told me that he can't let me walk into his shop with an AK because his boss will kill him, I need to find an alternative method to getting the rails installed. :(

JB Weld:o

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    Very nice! Not exactly the order typically chosen to install parts but it's an AK. It will work :D

Make sure you get the rails the right height to match the front trunnion, and low enough to strip a round from the left side of the magazine.

Those hardened starter holes are going to be tough to drill out to size. Carbide bits are your friend.

awptickes

Jun 26, 2011
    N. Of Perryville
    Got everything welded in about two hours. The 1978 cycles by hand very well, and I plan on taking it to the range tomorrow or the next day to check with live fire. I just need to remember to pick up a ball peen hammer tomorrow so I can put the center support in. I thought I had one at home, but I guess not. I'm still waiting on the trigger group for the 1980. I might just pick one up at the show in Timonium if it hasn't arrived by then.

Now it's just some small fine filing work to clean things up. Once I'm satisfied with the fit and function, then I'll degrease and blue as dark as possible.

This small shop called A&E Welding Services helped with the welding. I called them at 6pm, and they were able to make time for me at 8pm. Great price too.

Is it normal to be scared to fire it for the first time? I've got that feeling like when I've rebuilt an engine and am about to crank it up for the first time.

Attachments

• photo-7_small.jpg
      photo-7_small.jpg
      94.3 KB · Views: 349
    • photo-8_small.jpg
      photo-8_small.jpg
      97.3 KB · Views: 352
    Last edited:

leroygibbs

Ultimate Member
    Jan 2, 2008
    Is it normal to be scared to fire it for the first time?

Only if you're pointing the muzzle towards your toes....

But seriously, long rope and a vise....

Also, doing the center support with a ball peen hammer is tough, hell, the thought of that scares me much more than firing and AK built by someone I've never met with my eyes closed.

awptickes

Jun 26, 2011
    N. Of Perryville
    Also, doing the center support with a ball peen hammer is tough, hell, the thought of that scares me much more than firing and AK built by someone I've never met with my eyes closed.

What would you suggest for doing the center support? Or are you saying that it's going to be difficult? I did all the other rivets with a ball peen hammer and punches...

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    Guys have bent receivers putting the center support in. The sleeve around the rivet should hold it open OK if you take your time with it, and the fact that you already have both trunnions in should keep it nice and square.

No worries.

Before shooting measure the headspace. Even with a barrel-matching kit.

leroygibbs

Ultimate Member
    Jan 2, 2008
    What would you suggest for doing the center support? Or are you saying that it's going to be difficult? I did all the other rivets with a ball peen hammer and punches...

That is impressive! I lack the ability to peen a rivet with a hammer worth a damn, and in fact have screwed up too many recievers doing the center support rivet. Anyone who can form a rivet with a hammer is an artist to me....

I use a press for the center support. I have a system now where I use a oak block that fits between the rails, inside the reciever. This keeps things straight and keeps the reciever supported from the inside. It helps keep from bending the metal of the reciever if I screw up. The block has a hole drilled in it the size of the OD of the center support sleeve, then it was cut in half, allowing you to put it around the center support sleeve and rivet. I clamp it together in the reciever. Then I put the reciever in the press, using a piece of flat stock with a dimple to make sure the factory head of the center support is supported and the reciever is level.

Then I chant to the gods of homebuilt AKs, hold my breath, and press slowly down.

awptickes

Jun 26, 2011
    N. Of Perryville
    Not understanding your comment about furniture. They both seem to have that taken care of already.

I want to replace the furniture on one with plastics to make it as light as possible. Also, make it look evil. :mad54:

That is impressive! I lack the ability to peen a rivet with a hammer worth a damn, and in fact have screwed up too many recievers doing the center support rivet. Anyone who can form a rivet with a hammer is an artist to me....

I use a press for the center support. I have a system now where I use a oak block that fits between the rails, inside the reciever. This keeps things straight and keeps the reciever supported from the inside. It helps keep from bending the metal of the reciever if I screw up. The block has a hole drilled in it the size of the OD of the center support sleeve, then it was cut in half, allowing you to put it around the center support sleeve and rivet. I clamp it together in the reciever. Then I put the reciever in the press, using a piece of flat stock with a dimple to make sure the factory head of the center support is supported and the reciever is level.

Then I chant to the gods of homebuilt AKs, hold my breath, and press slowly down.

I never had an issue with riveting by hand, it's pretty simple. I'll probably do something similar with a wooden block, thanks for the idea.

Guys have bent receivers putting the center support in. The sleeve around the rivet should hold it open OK if you take your time with it, and the fact that you already have both trunnions in should keep it nice and square.

No worries.

Before shooting measure the headspace. Even with a barrel-matching kit.

Yep, I checked the headspace immediately after pinning the barrel in. Go, No-Go, calipers to spec, and a live round. Everything is good.

Here's a picture of the TIG welding:

Attachments

• photo-9.jpg
      photo-9.jpg
      64.8 KB · Views: 330

jdramsey

Troll hunter.
    Aug 5, 2009
    St. Mary's Co. MD
    You'll be fine peening the center support rivets. Just take your time with it, like you did with the others, it's no sweat. Just make sure you put the big flat head on the right side so that the safety will clear it.

When you shoot them, start with one round, then two rounds, then three, incase of a run away.

We checked the head space so there shouldn't be any worry of a KB. If there are any issues, it'll be something like feed jams or ejection issues.

Let me know if you have any issues you need help with, I've delt with and resolved most of the common AK issues at some point or another. (Feed, ejection, trigger slap, etc.)

Don't forget the retaining springs.
    http://ak-builder.com/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=29807

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Noha

Latest threads

Top Bottom