• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Well there I was, down at the Amish Market, browsing past one of the vendors who had some less than total junk knives , and also had some made in Tiwan Airsoft pistols . What cought my eye was one that was configured like a Series 70 Commander rather than the usual 1911s , of either WWII or Railed flavors. Having my real one finally released from purgatory, I thought it would be a cute toy.

If I'm reading the logo correctly , it is HFC brand, single shot spring powered, and at least partly "sorta metal" . It's too light, but the dimentions are more or less authentic, and the thumb safety and sights are 1970s correct. $20 , and I also bought 2000 .20g BBs .

So today after I have the lawnmower carb soaking, but haven't taken my nap yet, it's a beautiful day, so I thought I'd try it.

Not only is this fun, it's actually good for training ! Set up a Mexican beverage can so that it doesn't fall over at 5yds , whinshield washer fluid jug base on at 10 yds , and antifreeze jug edgewise at almost 15yd. won't penetrate any of those, but will give audible thunks. The single shot ( magazine holds a dozen or so, but slide must be run for each shot) isn't a problem. Practice drawing from belt slide holster , hit safety, and fast sight picture , and try for forst shot hits. It has me reaquainted with arched housing, and proper flash sight picture with the smallish sights. No worries about proper backstop, or noise for the neighbors , no round trip to the range, cheaper than a suppressor. I'm going to like this !

Biggfoot Jr , who is safety trained, but only has occasional intrest in shooting, tried a cpl mags , and had fun too.

Now to get an AR-15 carbine version next.

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    It would be cool to have some force on force MDS fun. Anyone else into airsoft?

JohnnyBmore

This is not a"FREE STATE"
    Feb 3, 2011
    Some deals on Airsoft rifles from Atlantic Firearms, Just a heads up

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/training-weapons-airsoft.html
    magpul11ar3.jpg

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Where I purchased , the choices were .12g in variety of colors , or .20g in black. Another 1850 shots from now I'm open to upgrading , and colors would be nice. But the current performance is already a valuable tool.

Vendicator

Nov 5, 2010
    You never want to use anything less than .20g in any electric or gas powered airsoft guns, or they are liable to split into tiny plastic pieces in the gun. Spring powered is fine for the .12g, they will go faster and further, but less accurate.

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    You never want to use anything less than .20g in any electric or gas powered airsoft guns, or they are liable to split into tiny plastic pieces in the gun. Spring powered is fine for the .12g, they will go faster and further, but less accurate.

Nothing like playing springer pistol wars, using the hop-up on those light ass .12 BBs to curve around obstacles etc.

You can buy 2-pistol sets at Walmart for like $20-30.

I've been into airsoft (not so much in recent years though) since I was in HS. The AEG and gas guns are awesome, and can be a lot of fun or used for tactics training. The springers are fun for duels with friends or shooting bugs, not much else.

Si vis pacem para bellum

follow me @DiscipleofJMB

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    I got a battery powered P90. The mag holds an absurd amount of bbs. I'm down for a game. My paintball stuff wont come out until fall.

Sent from my hacked mobile device of destiny.

SgtKope

Nov 7, 2009
    Crofton, MD
    A few years ago a couple of guys from work and I bought springer pistols and played in a warehouse. From there everyone had to have something bigger and badder than the next guy. BEWARE some of the airsoft guns cost as much as the real deal and it gets addictive quick.

BTW, gotta love a story that starts "Well there I was...."

Dogabutila

Ultimate Member
    Dec 21, 2010
    A few years ago a couple of guys from work and I bought springer pistols and played in a warehouse. From there everyone had to have something bigger and badder than the next guy. BEWARE some of the airsoft guns cost as much as the real deal and it gets addictive quick.

0SGlarP.jpg

Something like $1700 right there.

XCheckR

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 20, 2013
    HdG
    Bunch of the neighborhood kids got them recently Was walking the dogs the other evening and they had cardboard forts setup, were up in the trees, running around having a blast...

Soooooooo wanted to join them... :)

monkey

B-A-N-A-N-A-S!
    Feb 20, 2012
    Monkey County

I started off collecting Airsoft, but switched over when I realized I could get the real thing for just a little more.

gasman

Oct 8, 2007
    Baltimore City
    We like to use force on force a lot in many of our classes. It's a great training tool. I like my gas blow back G19 because it fits in my kydex holsters, is approximately the weight of a loaded real G19, and I can practice in my back yard for pennies.

One note of caution regarding the "shoot your eye out" comment, one of my colleagues, who is a well known ophthalmologist in the area cautioned me against playing with airsoft without eye protection. He told me (and this is strictly anecdote) that he would rather deal with a BB injury to the globe than airsoft. A BB will penetrate the globe, and he can repair that, whereas a 6mm airsoft projectile is of the right size and energy that it will rupture the globe instead of penetrate it, and he can not repair that. Please, make sure you and your kids are wearing eye pro at the very least. I recommend a full paintball mask because we did have a Suarez International student suffer a chipped tooth when he got hit in the teeth with an airsoft pellet a couple years ago.

gasman

Oct 8, 2007
    Baltimore City
    I started off collecting Airsoft, but switched over when I realized I could get the real thing for just a little more.

I have a friend who plays like that. He has all these full auto electric rifles that are as much as or more than some of my real ones. When he wanted to show me his latest $1200 rifle, I politely feigned interest while wondering why he didn't just go out and get the real thing.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I have to disagree with that one statement. The abilty to draw and make first shot hit on a 12oz can at 5-10yds, with a gun at least the same size and configuration, using actual carry holster IS an important skill. And $20 spring airsoft lets you do that any home anytime you wish.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom