• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BW460

Mar 8, 2012
    Ok, I've read the TSA rules on air travel with firearms and I'm still confused. I want to travel with some empty magazines in my checked bags. No gun, no ammo, just empty magazines. I know that "parts" can not be in carry on bags but do I have to declare the magazines since I have no gun and no ammo? Also, do the parts have to be in a locked container just as a firearm would be?

Thanks for any help on this.

Qbeam

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2008
    Georgia
    Nope, just pack them in your checked luggage. No ammunition in the magazines. That will get their attention.

Q

Gorba

Deplorable Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 24, 2018
    Annapolis
    I agree. Pack the EMPTY mags in your checked baggage and say nothing. If you want reassurance, our Mr. Ed was a TSA agent before retiring. Send him a PM with the question.

Mr. Ed

This IS my Happy Face
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2009
    Edgewater
    Just me.
    Why not mail it and be done. Avoid any possible hassle.

I agree. While it's legal to have unloaded mags in your checked baggage, TSA officers can open and inspect any bag that they want when it comes through the X-ray belt before it gets on the plane. They're supposed to leave a note to let you know that they made the inspection, but considering the wide variety in officer training and performance, I'd prefer to minimize the chances that they'd have a reason to search in the first place.

1841DNG

Ultimate Member
    Apr 17, 2016
    Airline's have specific policies on top of the TSA right? I have seen some require them to be in hard side only checked luggage.

Just me.
    Why not mail it and be done. Avoid any possible hassle.

I agree. While it's legal to have unloaded mags in your checked baggage, TSA officers can open and inspect any bag that they want when it comes through the X-ray belt before it gets on the plane. They're supposed to leave a note to let you know that they made the inspection, but considering the wide variety in officer training and performance, I'd prefer to minimize the chances that they'd have a reason to search in the first place.

If they're over 10rds, wouldn't it be illegal to mail them? If you bring them into the state with you, you are legal. Shipping them to MD would be against the law.

I say put them in your checked luggage; regardless of capacity.

XRider

Aug 9, 2010
    Surfside Beach SC
    I was in CA and picked up a few magazines for my shield at a great price and brought them home without issue. Granted, they were under 10 rounds and my destination was SC but there was no TSA issue.

BW460

Mar 8, 2012
    Hmmm, they are over 10 rounds. Maybe I'm back to putting them in baggage.

As far as the 6.5 years, well.. to quote Peter Sellers - "I like to watch " !

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    I travel a lot. I get to got to free America frequently. I think out of the last 10 trips, I have brought back normal capacity mags in checked luggage 7 times. Once was with glock 33 round mags. As stated, all are empty and no ammo accompanied the mags.
    Never had an issue.

Qbeam

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2008
    Georgia
    For domestic flights no problem in checked luggage and you don't need to declare or secure (if you do you must use the TSA approved locks).

This is an important point, the above information is for Domestic flights, and not International flights. Internatuonal has a myriad of additional rules with firearms and equipment related to firearms.

Q

BW460

Mar 8, 2012
    Yes, I will be traveling from free America to back behind the iron curtain of stupidity.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Ok, I'll play.

If you put 11+ round mags in your carry on, and get diverted to NJ, NY, or the like, will you leave your carry bag on the plane?

There is no exemption for possession unless you are in a L.E. or On Duty Military Capacity.

If you check the mags in a bag you don't have to take possession if the flight is diverted, you leave them for the airline to redirect.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Magazines are considered firearms parts and not allowed in carry on bags

Checked luggage only

Last edited:

BW460

Mar 8, 2012
    Magazines are considered firearm "parts". Firearm "parts" are not allowed in carry on. So, dont put a muzzle brake, a new barrel, or anything gun related in your carry on. I would guess that would even include a rifle scope, but I'm not sure on that one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Noha

Latest threads

Top Bottom