Air Guns Illegal in HOCO? BB, Pellet, etc.?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • minux

Jun 19, 2023
    HoCo
    I was looking around online. I know firearms are illegal to discharge in HOCO, but are BB, Pellet, etc.? The way I read the law, I would say, yes.

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    Yes. That's how I read it also.

At least HoCo gives you the privilege of discharging them inside. I have a 22LR trap I use for shooting pellets in the basement.

scottyfz6

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2018
    I have not read this rule. Does this mean that one cannot hunt in HoCo?
    No, the county has the right to enforce rules for discharge of a firearm, and they grouped ariguns in that as well. Basically they enforce a rule about approved ranges, all firearms can only be discharged at approved ranges. The exceptions are hunting with the law, self defence etc etc.

So yes target shooting on a non approved range is a low level county crime. It is not a state law just county level. The charge is "reckless discharge of a firearm not in city limits", I have one on my record, the only thing on my record.

rondon600

Mar 16, 2009
    What a joke. About 18yrs ago we went to a friends farm and shot AR and pistols all day. Nothing happened thank god, but what a joke to think you can’t shoot on your own private 35 acres.

minux

Jun 19, 2023
    HoCo
    OK, the reason I ask any of this: the squirrels are making nests under my deck and ravage my bird feeders. A pellet gun would do the trick. Could I re-new my MD hunting license and be covered? Or, is this just opening up a can of worms? I am pretty sure there is an acreage restriction in HOCO for hunting.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Yes. Within city limits. It's technically thr same in Anne Arundel if you read county statutes and how they define gun.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    1000043594.jpg
    1000043596.jpg

So technically kids having a nerf gun or water gun fight can be arrested on weapon crimes

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    OK, the reason I ask any of this: the squirrels are making nests under my deck and ravage my bird feeders. A pellet gun would do the trick. Could I re-new my MD hunting license and be covered? Or, is this just opening up a can of worms? I am pretty sure there is an acreage restriction in HOCO for hunting.
    Just get better bird feeders that block access to squirrels. One trick is screwing a slinky around the pole holding the bird feeder up so they can't climb it. Or just pop the squirrel knowing police are at best 10 minutes away and can't prove you shot anything.

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    No, the county has the right to enforce rules for discharge of a firearm, and they grouped ariguns in that as well. Basically they enforce a rule about approved ranges, all firearms can only be discharged at approved ranges. The exceptions are hunting with the law, self defence etc etc.

So yes target shooting on a non approved range is a low level county crime. It is not a state law just county level. The charge is "reckless discharge of a firearm not in city limits", I have one on my record, the only thing on my record.
    D*mn. That's a BS charge from a d*mn nanny county.

Cops showed up while you were out shooting? Otherwise, I'd think they would be hard-pressed to charge if you had gone inside before they showed up.

River02

One Ping Only...
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 19, 2015
    Mid-Maryland
    Most squirrels are currently in-season and AFAIK property owners are not required to purchase a small game license to hunt on their own land. I don't know any of the other particulars of your current geographical situation as far as firearms discharge for hunting purposes. But-- if you are legit hunting and not just plinking--- seems like you should be ok. But a call to the local Sheriff/PD would be a step in the right direction to make sure you don't get tangled up in some horse hockey local law.

scottyfz6

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2018
    D*mn. That's a BS charge from a d*mn nanny county.

Cops showed up while you were out shooting? Otherwise, I'd think they would be hard-pressed to charge if you had gone inside before they showed up.
    Yup was shooting a 22 on a farm, neighbor called the cops said they heard bullets going past their house. Cop showed up and saw me shooting the 22. Told me to stop and I did, he went to the neighbors house and talked to them. Came back and gave me the ticket and told me there was no way the bullets went past their house.

Went to court, I plead not guilty. Judge asked if the cop saw me shooting, I said yes. Judge then said I would suggest you change your plea and he would convict me no fines, not court costs or anything. I did and walked out 2 mins later with it not costing me a dime except time and a stupid conviction.

minux

Jun 19, 2023
    HoCo
    Yup was shooting a 22 on a farm, neighbor called the cops said they heard bullets going past their house. Cop showed up and saw me shooting the 22. Told me to stop and I did, he went to the neighbors house and talked to them. Came back and gave me the ticket and told me there was no way the bullets went past their house.

Went to court, I plead not guilty. Judge asked if the cop saw me shooting, I said yes. Judge then said I would suggest you change your plea and he would convict me no fines, not court costs or anything. I did and walked out 2 mins later with it not costing me a dime except time and a stupid conviction.
    That is pretty-wild and what I want to avoid.

Are you able to get the charges expunged at least?

Seems like in HOCO, doesn't matter acreage, it is illegal, period?

Do you know if there Is any restriction with acreage and hunting on private land?

possumman

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2011
    Pikesville Md
    Some years ago we were doing a bath remodel on a VERY nice house in Guilford area of Baltimore--couple of older homeowners-matching Mercedes SLs in the driveway--played golf or tennis daily-to get to the master bath you went through the Master Bedroom---in the corner near the window was a very high end air rifle--one with a suppressor. I asked the lady about it--seems that Mr used it to pot squirrels in his large and beautifully landscaped back yard-out the bedroom window--Mrs just shook her head and said he does it to feed "his" foxes in the backyard--Nice folks---I am sure the neighbors had no idea

scottyfz6

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2018
    That is pretty-wild and what I want to avoid.

Are you able to get the charges expunged at least?

Seems like in HOCO, doesn't matter acreage, it is illegal, period?

Do you know if there Is any restriction with acreage and hunting on private land?
    Nope not a charge listed as expungable in maryland.

Yes it does not matter the acreage, the law says approved gun range.

Hunting has no minimum, its deals with shooting with in distance of an occupied dwelling. You can get closer with written permission. I had that when I hunted a small 4 acre property in hoco, next door neighbor gave me a letter. I was hunting 100 feet from the home owners house but 50 feet from the neighbors ( bow ) looking in to the property I was on.

goto section 401
    hoco county regs

gungate

NRA Patron Member
    Apr 5, 2012
    Damascus. MD
    Montgomery county treats shooting airguns the same as all firearms. There also is a squirrel season in MD and hunting out of season has serious penalties.

https://airgunlaws.com/maryland-airgun-laws/

Gun or firearm: Any rifle, shotgun, revolver, pistol, air gun, air rifle or any similar mechanism by whatever name known which is designed to expel a projectile through a gun barrel by the action of any explosive, gas, compressed air, spring or elastic.

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County

In smokey's post, see 8.401 section B; "... except at varmints on the ground".

Is there a definition of "varmint", and does it include tree rats?

And are you in the defined "metropolitan district"?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom