• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • VTHokies

Aug 26, 2016
    Bel Air
    I ordered a bunch of AK 47 7.62x39 30 Rd cap. magazines to my buddy's house in Pennsylvania. Got an email from AIMSurplus that they could not process the order because my billing address was in Maryland.

A couple of things.

1. My understanding is that IF :D my buddy in PA brought them to me in Maryland, it is technically legal, I am just not allowed to purchase 10+ round magazines in Maryland.
    2. If the shipping address is in PA, why does it matter where they go after that to them? Just to cover their asses and say that they had no idea the magazines would go to Maryland? But then again, even if they do get brought into Maryland, isn't it still "legal" to possess them?
    3. Could it just be that AIMSurplus does not understand Maryland law and does not want to risk skirting the line for whats legal and not?

Just wanted to get peoples' thoughts and make sure that I'm not missing something here...

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Billing address is in MD, which means the sale is partially taking place in MD - which is a no-go.

Have your friend buy and receive them in PA, make a trip and reimburse, then you're in the clear.

VTHokies

Aug 26, 2016
    Bel Air
    Billing address is in MD, which means the sale is partially taking place in MD - which is a no-go.

Have your friend buy and receive them in PA, make a trip and reimburse, then you're in the clear.

It is a common practice of many online vendors to use the Billing Address to determine eligibility of sale.

Funny thing is, they were willing to ship them once I called and told them that they were staying in Pennsylvania. But I will do this next time...way easier.

Engine4

Curmudgeon
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2012
    Or open a low amount credit card with an out of state address on it.:innocent0

wailer

Oct 2, 2008
    Largo
    OP this is a standard practice by AIM, just call them and verify you got the email and they will release it, it happens to me all the time, they will release it no problem.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Funny thing is, they were willing to ship them once I called and told them that they were staying in Pennsylvania. But I will do this next time...way easier.

One of my friends actually had the same issue with Aim sending his mag to me in VA. They made him say the mag was going to stay in VA.

VTHokies

Aug 26, 2016
    Bel Air
    OP this is a standard practice by AIM, just call them and verify you got the email and they will release it, it happens to me all the time, they will release it no problem.

One of my friends actually had the same issue with Aim sending his mag to me in VA. They made him say the mag was going to stay in VA.

Yep, I already called and the order should ship soon. Not really a problem, just a small extra step.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    There are a few companies out there like this. They go by your mailing/billing address. Since they can't ship to Maryland, they won't sell to you no matter where you have them shipped. Could you ask your friend to buy them and give him the money. Then it's completely okay and they won't refuse to sell to him. If this doesn't work out, let me know. We can take a drive to my son's house in PA (about 1:15 ride from Abingdon) and we can work out something that will work with that arrangement.

Good luck!

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    They did the same thing with me a few years back, i called them and explained that it was perfectly legal for me to go out of state to get them and that is why i was shipping them there. They thought that i was shipping them there to then have someone ship them to me. Anyway they in the end did ship them out of state for me.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Just get a Visa gift card from a grocery store and send order.
    Also protects from online credit card fraud.*

To expand a bit for others, credit card gift cards have no associated address. You can list the address for shipping as the "billing" address as there is no billing address. A drawback is that the cards carry a purchase fee.

*Obviously, the protection is mostly saving one from the hassle of replacing a card in your wallet as most credit card companies won't charge for fraudulent charges. At the same time, prepaid card monies might be more difficult to get back if fraud occurs, so spend these out if you use them.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009

This is not actually true. The sale takes place at the location of the seller. Now, in the case of a huge company, there is a legal concept called a "nexus of presence" that determines if the seller has a presence in a given state or not (like for Amazon - even though they are headquartered in Washington state, once they built warehouses in MD they had a "nexus of presence" here so sales to Maryland residents now count as having happened in Maryland which is why they didn't used to collect sales tax from us but now they do), but for a company like AIM that is clearly located only in one state, the legal sale takes place in their state, not the state of the buyer. AIM is located in Ohio, and sales made by them legally take place in Ohio. This is why they don't charge us sales tax, but would to someone who lives in Ohio.

Regardless, this doesn't stop companies from having policies that they won't take orders if you have a billing address in a given state. They're trying to protect themselves from Frosh and his ilk.

This is the correct answer.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    Also protects from online credit card fraud.*

This is one of the reasons vendors hate to split addresses as well. For those who don't know, it's generally the online vendor who eats the loss on a cc fraud case, not the bank. So they lose the merchandise and the money both.

At least in the past, AIM has been one of the few that have always been willing to listen to Marylanders' concerns and change their policies when they could.

ARMatt

Apr 12, 2016
    NAS Pax River
    Aim has always been solid with me. I typically call to place orders and ship my mags out of state no problem.
    The only issue I have with them is I think they typically grade their surplus mags a grade above what they actually are
    For example selling used to new old stock to excellent etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom