• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    I'm shopping for an optic for an SBR/ PDW build.

Its a 7.5 inch upper with a troy PDW stock. With a franklin armory binary trigger.

I'm going with a PRI folding sight/ gas block. As clandestine advises against rail mounted front sights. And an ARMS 40 rear BUIS.

For optics... I'm trying to decide between an aimpoint micro t1 or a trijicon MRO. Both are priced around the 550.00 range.

Being an eotech guy... I'm not really sure which to get. I need a small red dot with a long battery life. It will be left on for extended periods of time . The eotech looks out of place in a compact PDW.

Also, do I go absolute Co witness a or 1/3 lower Co witness?

Input greatly appreciated.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    The T1's are dropping in price because aim point is or is soon rolling out their new models. From what I read a while back they are worth the extra money.

If its a pure 100m or less gun, consider a JPoint or a Doc3 optic too. Both are lighter and smaller than the T1/R1. I don't know anything about the MRO.

I'd go full cowitness, but I read good things about 1/3rd too. Personal choice I guess.

I'm way more in favor of aim point over eotech. Batteries last much longer and the aim points seem much more compact.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Full retail on the newest JPoint is $300.

3830.jpg

Broncolou

Jan 22, 2013
    Parkton MD
    No experience with the MRO but it's on my short list....... I love my acog glass. I'm pretty sure you can drive a truck over both of them w/o incident.
    I do think the T1 is sexier;)

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    The PDW is only 20 .5 inches long with the stock collapsed and a tad over 25 inches with the stock extended.

I did put an eotech on it and it looks top heavy. Definitely need to go with the smallest RDO I can find. The open reflex sights like jpoints, rmr, FF3 also look promising. But they are not as tough as aimpoints or the trijicon mro. I have tried the RMR on it.. but do have concerns about the projector window being clogged with dirt or soot ( suppressed shooting). A small tube type RDO should work better for a suppressed PDW.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    The PDW is only 20 .5 inches long with the stock collapsed and a tad over 25 inches with the stock extended.

I did put an eotech on it and it looks top heavy. Definitely need to go with the smallest RDO I can find. The open reflex sights like jpoints, rmr, FF3 also look promising. But they are not as tough as aimpoints or the trijicon mro. I have tried the RMR on it.. but do have concerns about the projector window being clogged with dirt or soot ( suppressed shooting). A small tube type RDO should work better for a suppressed PDW.

Understood. And I agree protecting the very small open-toped reflex sights is a concern. But I'm well informed by a shooting buddy, whom, until very recently deployed a lot with his, says that as long as you have the protective hood, they are GTG.

He's in one of these units: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipe....png/2880px-US_Special_Operations_Command.png

Flipz

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2010
    Aimpoint wins hands down. As already stated, MRO has a blue tint to the glass while the T1 is clear. Also, MRO has a slight fish bowl effect that T1 doesn't have.

OrbitalEllipses

Ultimate Member
    Jul 18, 2013
    DPR of MoCo
    MRO had really slight fisheye/magnification issue for me. I do not have that issue with T1/T2. I ended up with a T1 for about $525. You can find the MRO for $450. I liked the FOV of the MRO more than the T1/T2, but the magnification thing really bugged me. My buddy didn't mind though.

If running a fixed sight, go 1/3rd. If running a flip front, go absolute.

Wayne1one

gun aficionado
    Feb 13, 2011
    Bowie, MD
    Not running night vision, then H1 or H2. Here is how I do my absolute co-witness or not dilemma. If the gun has flip up front & rear sights that equals absolute co-witness. If any of the iron sight are fixed, then 1/3 co-witness.

I don't think the MRO is quite ready to be placed next to an Aimpoint micro, so I would vote micro every time.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Lower-third is pretty much a hard requirement with the AP Micro and a fixed front post. Absolute co-witness has the front post occupying most of the AP Micro's view.

Globetruck

Mar 22, 2013
    Copied/pasted my post from M4carbine forum.

I bought an MRO - $493 which includes ADM QD mount. Botach was OK... Initially on back order, but no email telling me the status. I had to call them to find out, and their phone menu was a hassle. But fortunately it shipped a couple days after making my call. I can imagine that returns would be a hassle.

I've had it to the range 3 times, including outdoor. I've got it zeroed in as much as my gun and skills will allow - shot a .75 inch group at 50 yards today (stock Daniel Defense V7 LW), shooting from a table - no bench rest or sandbags, just resting the gun on a table.

Impressions:
    1. Cost to benefit ratio is awesome! It might not be a T2, but for $300 savings I'm quite happy.

2. Blue tint - honestly seems about the same as the T1/H1. Perhaps it's more noticeable inn the MRO because the MRO is just bigger and there's more blue to see... I dunno. Maybe someone can do a more scientific spectral filter comparison. In any case, the blue tint doesn't bother or distract me in the least bit. I find it funny that some folks have latched onto the tint as if it's some sort of defect... wonder if those same folks refuse to shoot while wearing sunglasses or yellow tinted shooting glasses. Somehow I doubt it.

3. Magnification. I guess if I get really close and stare, I can perceive something. Maybe. In all honesty, if I didn't see reviews claiming that it's magnified, I really would not have noticed.

4. Quality of the dot. It's definitely a circle. I've got some astigmatism and sometimes I can see a ghost dot almost making it a figure 8, and some very mild starbursting. But that's my eyes and not the optic. Verified by rotating the optic: the visual distortion remains in the same orientation as my eye and not the optic. Also verified by using a camera to take a picture of the dot. It's a perfect circle.

5. Maintain zero? Initially some concern, but I tightened the mount screw just a bit and also make sure that I seat it in my rail the same way every time. It holds zero. I've taken it on/off multiple times but haven't done any torture testing.

6. Brightness controls - 3 seems to work in just about all situations. I haven't shot in bright sunlight yet. Indoors at longer distances, I actually like NVG setting 2 - it's just barely visible, but due to my astigmatism, I get an extremely clear view of the target area. I haven't done any competition shooting, but f rapid acquisition I tend to like brighter settings.

Overall I am very pleased with the quality and value.

killng

Nov 29, 2015
    moco
    I have a T2 and if you the money I would buy the T2... I like co witness, but it really your own preference

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom