• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MarkinMD

MDS Supporter
    Dec 10, 2011
    Nut Bush City Limits
    I would like to hear some input on picking a optic site for my new AR I just picked up last week. Have been watching here and looking around online. What does everyone think about the Aimpoint Pro Patrol rifle optic site. $400.00 shipped mount included.

VWTurbo

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2010
    Perry Hall
    I got the PRO when they first came out and were LE only but BOTACH sold a few, it is a great deal and a great optic. I haven't looked back since.
    I have it on my AR-57 and am very happy

JDove

Ultimate Member
    Jun 16, 2010
    They were on sale at PSA for $360. I would have bought one but my custom shop CZ ate my shiny toy budget for a while.

LineofSight

MSI Member, NRA Member
    Oct 4, 2010
    All OVER
    It's a great optic, built like a tank. I'm partial to EOTech but I have no complaints on the Pro. You can get local from industry partners too.

There is a comet effect if you are going to use a magnifier behind it. Not a real issue per say but it does seem to bother some people.

04RWon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    It's a great optic, built like a tank. I'm partial to EOTech but I have no complaints on the Pro. You can get local from industry partners too.

There is a comet effect if you are going to use a magnifier behind it. Not a real issue per say but it does seem to bother some people.

Brining this thread back

Can someone explain this comet effect? Is that just with the PRO?

LineofSight

MSI Member, NRA Member
    Oct 4, 2010
    All OVER
    Brining this thread back

Can someone explain this comet effect? Is that just with the PRO?

Comet effect only through a magnifier. I read up on it just to make sure mine was not malfunctioning. It seems to be a known effect created when using a magnifier only...it's not a problem by no means.

Just picture the dot and you'll see a small blur which has been quoted "comet effect." My EOTechs work fine and are completely clear. Don't let it deter you from buying one 04.

vin

Ultimate Member
    Mar 19, 2009
    Bowie, MD
    I bet the comet effect is a personal thing based on an individuals eyes. I believe that if you have a problem with one, it will be across the board with aimpoint products as I assume all their dot projection systems are pretty much the same.

I don't have any issues with my comp c3, but it's also not magnified. The dot does get blurry when it's too bright, and it gets smaller and more precise the dimmer it is.

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    Do it. It's Ford vs. Chevy when it comes to Aimpoint vs. EOTech. I f** hate EOTechs. I have an Aimpoint CompM2 and will probably end up with at least one T1/H1 in the near future... I personally prefer a single aiming dot, and the durability/battery life of Aimpoints is unquestionably the best in the industry.

04RWon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    I just sold my compml2 in the classifieds. I was gonna get a m3 but saw the pro. I hear bout the LE only sales but midway allowed me to put it in the cart and its shipped so ive got a pro on the way. I have a LT129 mount that it will go in, so ill be sellig the stock mount. I just saw the talk about the comet effect and went "crap i knew i shoulda choked up the extra dough for the m3". But you all say its good to go so i trust you.

I have a eotech 553 as well. I like my eotech and aimpoint equally. Now that ill have a nv and smaller dot aimpoint, maybe I will like it even more.

vin

Ultimate Member
    Mar 19, 2009
    Bowie, MD
    The LE only thing is no longer in effect, and I don't think many shops even paid attention to it in the first place.

I have a friend with the pro, the dot looks exactly the same as my c3, no comet tail. I wouldn't worry about it, you're gonna have a great optic.

shaddydan

ADHD chicken fighter
    Oct 22, 2010
    Hydes
    Just go my pro a few weeks ago at gun connection....huge sale. I have yet to shoot it but but I'm sure it will be awesome!

OldSchool1959

MDS Supporter
    Feb 9, 2012
    Anne Arundel County
    I got my PRO about a month ago for under $400 including shipping. I've shot with it a couple of times and I really like it. I don't think you can go wrong with it if you're not looking to spend $500 and up.

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    Just go my pro a few weeks ago at gun connection....huge sale. I have yet to shoot it but but I'm sure it will be awesome!

Me too. I picked one up on impulse for my .50 Beowulf and am really happy with it.

2012-06-23132717.jpg

04RWon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    Got mine from UPS today. I like it alot so far. I pulled off the mount and threw it in my lt129. Clear glass, good feel with the power knob. Easy to tell the dot is smaller than my ml2. The biggest thing, i closed all the windows and shut the door, the nv modes work great with my pvs14. I even had the killflash on and its flawless. I think i made the right choice.

Hotrod Diesel

Here for the Beer...
    Mar 7, 2012
    Parkville
    Don't hesitate it great glass, got mine for 350. It is boring if you just punch paper, but works great for quick target acquisition.

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    Me too. I picked one up on impulse for my .50 Beowulf and am really happy with it.

Not to threadjack... but I kinda am.. I see the adapter for a shell catcher mounted ahead of your PRO... how do you like it? I was considering running one on my .300 BLK stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JonWayneCampbell

Latest threads

Top Bottom