• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • UpperMarlboroMan

Mar 11, 2013
    I jumped on one of those very few Savage Enfields that Aim Surplus had available last week. See the pictures below. The wood has lots of dents and dings and the metal has a brown patina that actually looks more like baked on grease and grime. For example, that spot on the receiver that looks like corrosion is dried grease or something. It comes off with my finger nail. The barrel looks OK, better than the pictures show and has potential once I get the gunk out. It will definitely take some time to get this thing cleaned up but hopefully it will look pretty good. Not sure it was worth the asking price, but I wanted a Savage. Also, the action is pretty incredible. It is really smooth even with all the dried gunk.

Attachments

• EPSN0112.jpg
      EPSN0112.jpg
      38.7 KB · Views: 545
    • EPSN0113.jpg
      EPSN0113.jpg
      48.1 KB · Views: 539
    • EPSN0116.jpg
      EPSN0116.jpg
      42 KB · Views: 531
    • EPSN0114.jpg
      EPSN0114.jpg
      51.7 KB · Views: 531
    • EPSN0118.jpg
      EPSN0118.jpg
      57.9 KB · Views: 531
    • EPSN0122.jpg
      EPSN0122.jpg
      57.5 KB · Views: 543

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    2 groove barrel.
    What's the number marked on the bolt head (1,2,3,4?)
    I forgot what that rear sight is called? milled micrometer? (vs stamped)

nobis1

Aug 5, 2012
    I received mine as well. Will post pics later, have to run through photoshop to shrink them.

The good:
    Bore is really nice.
    Black walnut stock is dinged up but in good shape
    Receiver has a lot of the original finish left and there is little visible surface rust.

The bad:
    There is splotches of red paint all over the magazine.
    The stock is nice looking but rickety and the buttstock is loose and wobbly.
    The rifle is missing the elevation sight.

The really bad:
    The bolt head has about a 1cm visible crack.

Given the missing elevation sight and bolt head crack, I may send this back. Surprised because Aim is usually really good, especially surprised that they would miss something as blatant as the elevation sight.

nobis1

Aug 5, 2012
    Also, where do you find the headspace number? The bolt head does not seem to have one, but the bolt arm itself has a "4" on the underside.

UpperMarlboroMan

Mar 11, 2013
    2 groove barrel.
    What's the number marked on the bolt head (1,2,3,4?)
    I forgot what that rear sight is called? milled micrometer? (vs stamped)

The bolt head has a "3" on it. I don't think the rear sight is original to the rifle as it is stamped "B." It is graduated up to 1300.

303_enfield

Ultimate Member
    May 30, 2007
    DelMarVa
    Top of the receiver has this mark *, means corrosion or rust in barrel. Clean her up and cast the chamber. Then get some lead pills and have fun :)

UpperMarlboroMan

Mar 11, 2013
    Looks like a 0 you said 3 bolt head, from your pics. Marked on the side. Top of the receiver has this mark *, means corrosion or rust in barrel. Clean her up and cast the chamber. Then get some lead pills and have fun :)

That is a "3" on the bolt head, it is just hard to see. Unless there is another "0" I don't see and I am looking at the wrong number. Yes, I have read that about the * mark on the receiver, so I was a little disappointed to see that...but the bore doesn't look too horrible.

Dave91

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2009
    Anne Arundel
    I received mine as well. Will post pics later, have to run through photoshop to shrink them.

The good:
    Bore is really nice.
    Black walnut stock is dinged up but in good shape
    Receiver has a lot of the original finish left and there is little visible surface rust.

The bad:
    There is splotches of red paint all over the magazine.
    The stock is nice looking but rickety and the buttstock is loose and wobbly.
    The rifle is missing the elevation sight.

The really bad:
    The bolt head has about a 1cm visible crack.

Given the missing elevation sight and bolt head crack, I may send this back. Surprised because Aim is usually really good, especially surprised that they would miss something as blatant as the elevation sight.
    Definitely send that back. I'm surprised AIM didn't catch that.

nobis1

Aug 5, 2012
    Definitely send that back. I'm surprised AIM didn't catch that.

I am surprised they missed it too, especially the rear sight elevation. Just spoke with Josh at Aim Surplus. Nice guy.

I sent him pictures of the crack and sight elevation. They are paying to ship the rifle back and giving me a full refund. There are no others in stock, so they cannot exchange it.

nobis1

Aug 5, 2012
    Three is the easy one to find. Four is the hard one. Google or Yahoo I just listed two parts sellers. But if you write Springfield Sporters and tell what you want, you'll get it in a month.

Under $15 but sold out for now, add it to your wish list (for e-mail when in stock).
    http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Products/1407670A.htm

Thanks for the links. I am going to send it back though. I think I can find a Savage No4 Mk1 in a similar or better condition for the cost ($415 shipped) plus new parts and looking/finding them. May look at the Nations Show next month.

Dave91

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2009
    Anne Arundel
    Thanks for the links. I am going to send it back though. I think I can find a Savage No4 Mk1 in a similar or better condition for the cost ($415 shipped) plus new parts and looking/finding them. May look at the Nations Show next month.

You have the right idea. Replacing the parts would cost you more and make the rifle less original. You can most likely find a nice matching example for cheaper.

303_enfield

Ultimate Member
    May 30, 2007
    DelMarVa
    You have the right idea. Replacing the parts would cost you more and make the rifle less original. You can most likely find a nice matching example for cheaper.

Replacing a bolt head or sight won't make the pictured Savage less original. Bolt heads are made to be changed out. Also, most late Savages had the "L" type rear sight (to speed production). The "L" was changed out as soon as a better sight was in the supply chain. A Savage "L" runs $10.

But seeing that rifle cost over $400. Send it back! Contact Brain at BDL if you can't find a sweet Savage.http://www.bdlltd.com/Home.html

Happy hunting!

Jradack

Dec 12, 2013
    Somd
    I always found it difficult to buy a firearm without having it in my hands. I'm always weary of situation like yours.

Dave91

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2009
    Anne Arundel
    I always found it difficult to buy a firearm without having it in my hands. I'm always weary of situation like yours.

I hear you on that one, but I've always had a great experience buying firearms from online without seeing photos. I guess I've bought ~10 guns or so without seeing them first and all have arrived better than described, but then again I've always bought from reputable dealers (AIM, Wideners, J&G, Classic). I'm really surprised AIM let that rifle slip by. I've never heard of other problems from them.

Jradack

Dec 12, 2013
    Somd
    I hear you on that one, but I've always had a great experience buying firearms from online without seeing photos. I guess I've bought ~10 guns or so without seeing them first and all have arrived better than described, but then again I've always bought from reputable dealers (AIM, Wideners, J&G, Classic). I'm really surprised AIM let that rifle slip by. I've never heard of other problems from them.

Have you ever bought from samco? I got a yugo 8mm from them and was happy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom