• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ClutchyMcClutcherson

Aug 29, 2016
    Odenton, MD
    I think this is the right place for this post. My oldest boy is three years old. I will say he's pretty advanced (not just cause he's my child) and very intelligent. He's capable of just about anything as far as coordination gos. For those that raised children or those with nieces or nephews that shoot, what age did they start? Is three to young to go into the back yard with a red Ryder to plink some cans. I mean I can hold the gun with him to make sure nothing bad happens, or do you think he's not old enough to understand that it's not a toy or game? I have a gun safe I'd put it just to be sure when it's not being used. And if you think hes old enough, i hve a two year old that does and wants to do everything his older brother does. Is two too young? Any thoughts on this topic?

Last edited:

GunnyHwy

Oct 18, 2007
    Howard County
    The answer is when they are ready and with smothering supervision. My girls were 5 when they started. They are both great shots now at 9 and 7.

ClutchyMcClutcherson

Aug 29, 2016
    Odenton, MD
    Yeah I get its a personal decision and all. I guess I was more curious about others experiences and advice on how they got started. Three seems really young to me, and obviously two seems even younger, but I'm also thinking they are capable of it and would enjoy it, especially with smothering supervision as you said.

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    Depends on the kid and their maturity. I echo GunnyHwy. You'll know it when you see it. I started shooting when I was 4.... I didn't start my daughter until she was 13. Start with a .22 rifle and slowly build. Keep it fun and they will stay interested as you go.

Good luck!

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    Is three to young to go into the back yard with a red Ryder to plink some cans.

Yes

I have 5 children.
    Its easy as a parent to really want your kids to do the things that you like and for you to try and get them involved be it shooting, basketball, or whatever.
    Three is pretty early even for a BB gun.
    Go have fun with nerf guns for a couple of years.
    You're going to turn around one day and he'll be asking for the car keys.
    Don't rush things and enjoy each stage of childhood.

MDElite

Industry Partner
    Mar 16, 2011
    You should start him with one of the new Cricket rifles we have on order. :)

Attachments

• cricket.jpg
      cricket.jpg
      72.1 KB · Views: 340

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Learned to shoot around 6 with heavy supervision. They have to be old enough to understand the consequences of their actions. Even with a BB gun, serious harm can come from misuse. Will likely wait until 6 for my son as well.

ClutchyMcClutcherson

Aug 29, 2016
    Odenton, MD
    Yes

I have 5 children.
    Its easy as a parent to really want your kids to do the things that you like and for you to try and get them involved be it shooting, basketball, or whatever.
    Three is pretty early even for a BB gun.
    Go have fun with nerf guns for a couple of years.
    You're going to turn around one day and he'll be asking for the car keys.
    Don't rush things and enjoy each stage of childhood.

We do the nerf stuff too. Good advice. Thanks.

Klunatic

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2011
    Montgomery Cty
    My girls started at 6. It really comes down to the ability to understand instructions and strength/size. If your child and hold a weapon properly and steadily then they are ready. Start with a BB gun to teach fundamentals of safety, sight picture, positions, breathing control and trigger discipline. Using a BB gun removes the recoil and noise from the equation and allows them to concentrate. More than one kids experience has been ruined when some adult hands them a gun that boots the kid when they fire their first shot. Izaak Walton has a great program for kids.

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    Learned to shoot around 6 with heavy supervision. They have to be old enough to understand the consequences of their actions. Even with a BB gun, serious harm can come from misuse. Will likely wait until 6 for my son as well.

I think this is an excellent point. A 3 year old cannot form that mental picture.

You give them a nerf gun and its "OK" to point it at someone, now they have a real gun... You see where I am going.

6 or 7 sounds right to me as well. But it's your kid, we are just offering out advice based on experience. And yes I have two kids that shoot. So somewhat of an authority. :cool:

ClutchyMcClutcherson

Aug 29, 2016
    Odenton, MD
    I think this is an excellent point. A 3 year old cannot form that mental picture.

You give them a nerf gun and its "OK" to point it at someone, now they have a real gun... You see where I am going.

6 or 7 sounds right to me as well. But it's your kid, we are just offering out advice based on experience. And yes I have two kids that shoot. So somewhat of an authority. :cool:

Yup advice and experiences from those who have already been there done that is exactly what I'm looking for.

Thanks

good guy 176

R.I.P.
    Dec 9, 2009
    Laurel, MD
    I'm a bit older than most, 76, and I have logged over 64 years of safe operations in a wide array of shooting situations.

Started with a BB gun around 10-11, took a Hunter Safety Course right away with a maverick hometown attorney as head instructor and got into small bore training and competing around 12 in Indiana, PA., Jimmy Stewart's stomping grounds.

With a firearm, I'd favor introducing kids to the sport around 6-7 with heavy, right beside them and within reach supervision. I'd monitor youngsters closely till 14-16. I began hunting alone around 15 and someone always knew where I was headed and how long I'd be gone.

We had firearms in our home and Dad had returned in the Fall of 1945 with a Jap 6.5 that got added to a few rifles and shotguns. I began shooting groundhogs about 15 and owned my first high power gun at 17, and still have it: a Remington 721 .257 Roberts.

I was taught good habits by my Father and by the attorney who was our neighbor, by a school teacher, a few car mechanics with whom I competed early on and later by a crusty Army MSgt who coached our outstanding ROTC/Varsity college smallbore team.

Lew - Ranger63

ClutchyMcClutcherson

Aug 29, 2016
    Odenton, MD
    I'm a bit older than most, 76, and I have logged over 64 years of safe operations in a wide array of shooting situations.

Started with a BB gun around 10-11, took a Hunter Safety Course right away with a maverick hometown attorney as head instructor and got into small bore training and competing around 12 in Indiana, PA., Jimmy Stewart's stomping grounds.

With a firearm, I'd favor introducing kids to the sport around 6-7 with heavy, right beside them and within reach supervision. I'd monitor youngsters closely till 14-16. I began hunting alone around 15 and someone always knew where I was headed and how long I'd be gone.

We had firearms in our home and Dad had returned in the Fall of 1945 with a Jap 6.5 that got added to a few rifles and shotguns. I began shooting groundhogs about 15 and owned my first high power gun at 17, and still have it: a Remington 721 .257 Roberts.

I was taught good habits by my Father and by the attorney who was our neighbor, by a school teacher, a few car mechanics with whom I competed early on and later by a crusty Army MSgt who coached our outstanding ROTC/Varsity college smallbore team.

Lew - Ranger63

Very cool back story. Thanks for sharing.

kbuddy

Jun 20, 2008
    Calvert Co.
    I'll chip in with another data point. I have twin boys and started them with a Red Ryder type BB gun at just over 3 years old. The hardest thing for them to pick up on was sight alignment. It was a good way to introduce them to safe handling and the mechanics.

With sight alignment they were hitting balloons and cans, and so I bought a Cricket for them to shoot. This was about a month or two before their 4th birthday. The biggest issue I had here was finding a rifle with a short enough length-of-pull so they could shoot correctly. The 10/22 was too big, but the Cricket was just right. Through the next couple years or so, shooting consisted of going in the woods, shoot ten rounds or less, get bored, then bang on trees and play in the creek. Their job was to keep the rifle pointed in a safe direction and hit targets. I loaded, cocked, and hovered.

Sometime when they were six they started slinging more lead down range, increasing distance, and loading themselves. They just turned seven and I suspect we'll be at this stage for a while. I hand them one round at a time right beside them, they do not have unfettered access to the ammo.

I think what made my approach possible was that I could take them shooting right behind our house. I couldn't imagine making a trip to a range to shoot 5-10 rounds. If I couldn't take them shooting behind the house, I would probably have kept them on BB guns for a long time.

pitpawten

Ultimate Member
    Jan 28, 2013

That is why in our house we have a "no pointing guns at each-other" rule.

It seems draconian and dumb at times (heck every kid likes to play 'army'), but we made the choice that from a young age they will treat all guns the same.

Working well for us so far with 5 :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom