AGC Steel Challenge (Sunday January 5th)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Incorporating some sort of additional fee?:innocent0
    Unpopular as this is going to sound, you're not wrong. Match fees are currently rather cheap compared to other places. I pay forty bucks for a 4 stage (sanctioned) USPSA match at TMGN and NRA HQ. Would strongly recommend jacking it up to $20 and $30, with maybe $30 and $45 to shoot a second gun. This would also do more to encourage badge purchases.

Judging from what I saw at the match today, even if bay 1 was just a super simple stage like Five To Go, it would prove challenging for quite a number of shooters. :P

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    We should see how it goes before getting too hasty. #2 is a simple to implement plan for when we do suddenly realize that we need a plan and don't have one. However, once the good good weather gets here, other shooting venues will be more active as well. There may be some competition (get it!?! competition! :rolleye12 ) taking some of the load.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Got to use all that additional revenue from the guest passes for something.:innocent0

And seriously, why couldn't archery use a Bay Seven when matches weren't happening?

I think it's a great idea, but - paternal overprotective OCD about arrows and bolts hitting the hescos. Lets just say I have some, errr, personal experience (not with hitting the hescos, enquiring about the use of a bay for archery). They put up a stationary permanent target so that nobody confuses hescos for a backstop.

99.9% of users wont hit the hescos. That one knucklehead will send a bolt into the hesco and then drive away without admitting fault.

MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    I think that you mean the spot for archery.

Bay 1 is barely a bay, does it actually get used? Seems tiny.

Politically, eliminating the archery range is no bueno it would have to be moved. It does get used. To where?

One could move the archery to bay 1 and make a bigger badder bay 1. Or, another home for the archery range needs to be found.

Also, I know this will be controversial... but the fact is I think AGC will need to see some $$ from the matches before they authorize more hescos and dirt moving. Call it a very educated guess.

There are plans for Bay 1 and Bay 2 and they do not include action shooting.

Eliminating Archery is never going to happen, but that doesn't mean that the space it is currently occupying is being put to its best use. I didn't see a single person over there using it today.

MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    My 2 cents and take it for what its worth...
    My take is #2, combined with jacking up the price for non badge holders ($10 vs $30???). In the least, we should open registration to badge holders 48hrs prior to the general public. This will be a huge motivator to selling range badges.

We are not really in a position to be raising fees. That would be a bold move and one that could really backfire. Once we can offer more to the shooter, then I will be comfortable charging more. Isn't that how things are supposed to work?:innocent0

There is no way to open registration early for badge holders. Even if it were, it would be a logistical nightmare (my nightmare BTW). I already spend enough hours messing with practiscore, not to mention that things just need to be kept simple. Why cant people just register as soon as the email comes out. Besides, we love the non Badge Holders. They put a lot more money in the Action Shooting coffers every month than the badge holders do. Without them, we would most certainly need to raise fees in order to keep our heads above water.

We are not really in a position to be raising fees. That would be a bold move and one that could really backfire. Once we can offer more to the shooter, then I will be comfortable charging more. Isn't that how things are supposed to work?:innocent0

There is no way to open registration early for badge holders. Even if it were, it would be a logistical nightmare (my nightmare BTW). I already spend enough hours messing with practiscore, not to mention that things just need to be kept simple. Why cant people just register as soon as the email comes out. Besides, we love the non Badge Holders. They put a lot more money in the Action Shooting coffers every month than the badge holders do. Without them, we would most certainly need to raise fees in order to keep our heads above water.

CLARIFICATION- I was talking about keeping $10 for badge holders and jacking up the fee for non badge holders to $30???
    That is why I said it would be a motivator to buy a range badge.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    There are plans for Bay 1 and Bay 2 and they do not include action shooting.

Eliminating Archery is never going to happen, but that doesn't mean that the space it is currently occupying is being put to its best use. I didn't see a single person over there using it today.

We are late in the hunting season. It gets used, mostly in mid-late summer and early fall when bow season is imminent. I use it, I've seen people use it. I've seen parents bring their kids both to the shotgun and archery range.

Anyway.. there are lots of places to put it, but the farther from it's current spot the harder for the RSOs to monitor. They love to card people there and check badges. The top of the hill by the pool house, where the AGC hunting area is has some usable area, but tough for RSOs to get up there.

boss281

Ultimate Member
    Apr 14, 2012
    Carroll County
    Today was a good day, but I am still freezing my ass off.

Next steel challenge match is scheduled for Saturday February 1st.

Afterwards I was searching the internet for reviews on insulated work boots. I had layered up well and had my head covered, but boots did little to keep my feet warm...

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    As opposed to sitting/laying down or do you mean standing still and not moving?

There can be some movement between shooting positions, but no shooting on the move. There is sometimes some reloading on the move. Shooting is always while standing.

My 55 year old knees are ok with that!

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Thanks to the organizers and ROs for a better time than the weather forecast implied we’d have. It was fun!
    Agreed. Of course the sun came out on my way home. Nice to meet you and thanks again for giving me a little trigger time on the Scorpion, very nice setup!

Good show (and good folks), as always :clap: I thought the slightly reduced Stages of Madness were a great balance between Madness and safety on the iffy footing. We had 2 new (to action) shooters in my squad that I'm sure we'll see again.
    Yep, just enough to keep it interesting while remaining safe. The new shooters definitely seemed to enjoy it. Good shooting with you again.

Today was a good day, but I am still freezing my ass off.

Next steel challenge match is scheduled for Saturday February 1st.
    Yeah that wind sucks.
    Well that one should be much warmer.......
    Thanks for running another great match.

Weather was cold and windy, but had a great time shooting! Had a great squad of guys who were safe and fun, and happy to help out with painting, resetting, etc. Had 2 new folks, and hopefully they learned a lot, and had fun! I have a feeling they'll be back. Everyone on the squad was welcoming and happy to give advice and help them out. That's what this stuff is about.
    Definitely makes it fun. Nice shooting with you and Art again.

How was work today? :tdown:

We need to come up with a plan for how to handle it when this "gets BIG." We had 50 shooters show up today and 14 of them shot two guns. That's 64 guns on a day when the weather was far less than desirable.

What do we do when it is 75 degrees and sunny and we have 100 people that want to shoot? We only have so much real estate, so in my mind that really only leaves us with a couple of options.

1. Run two matches per month (this would require someone else to run it as I have no time to do it).

2. Stop allowing a second gun during the summer months. Maybe allow 2nd gun "walk ins" if there is room at check in time . This would open up room for more shooters.

I am leaning towards #2, but it is a tough decision and I am open to ideas. Don't want to upset those who have been supporting us all winter, but it is important to get as many shooters involved as possible.

I would probably lean towards #2 as well. I mean more matches sounds great but that's not really realistic.
    Don't know if it's feasible but can you have more shooters in each squad?
    Even with a full match (I think only a couple of people didn't show) we were basically done by 12:30. The other match I went to in November was the same way, that was done by 1:00 I think.

Unpopular as this is going to sound, you're not wrong. Match fees are currently rather cheap compared to other places. I pay forty bucks for a 4 stage (sanctioned) USPSA match at TMGN and NRA HQ. Would strongly recommend jacking it up to $20 and $30, with maybe $30 and $45 to shoot a second gun. This would also do more to encourage badge purchases.

Judging from what I saw at the match today, even if bay 1 was just a super simple stage like Five To Go, it would prove challenging for quite a number of shooters. :P

Don't think higher fees for guests are necessarily a bad idea but I think we need to definitely give it a little more time before they entertain that.

boss281

Ultimate Member
    Apr 14, 2012
    Carroll County
    The official 8 stages are all stand and shoot. However, since this is an unsanctioned match, there were a couple stages that involved some movement. I have some video of me shooting those over at my blog:
    https://hebrewhammerblog.com/2020/01/05/unsanctioned-steel-challenge-match-at-agc-1-5-2020/

Maybe I'm not recalling correctly, but I could swear I met you when I worked at Baltimore's Best Pawn, last year I think or the year before.

I shot my Scorpion carbine (FDE) as well with the Holosun 510c. First time running it and I LOVED it. I'm buying several for my other rifles...

You're welcome to try it in Feb...

Aamdskeetshooter

Ultimate Member
    Dec 19, 2013
    Moco
    As opposed to sitting/laying down or do you mean standing still and not moving?

I can move fine. I would be hesitant to shoot it if I had to shoot in some of the low kneel/sit/squat and prone shooting I’ve seen in some of the action shooting videos I’ve seen. I don’t remember what discipline they were. After watching ERWOS’ videos I don’t see any issues. The only action shooting I’ve done has been 3 stage steel at Monocacy. Thanks everyone.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I can move fine. I would be hesitant to shoot it if I had to shoot in some of the low kneel/sit/squat and prone shooting I’ve seen in some of the action shooting videos I’ve seen. I don’t remember what discipline they were. After watching ERWOS’ videos I don’t see any issues. The only action shooting I’ve done has been 3 stage steel at Monocacy. Thanks everyone.

Here's another video from a couple of months ago taken at an AGC Steel Challenge match. H/t to Occam for the kickass video.

https://vimeo.com/374179445/c24ba7fac0

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Maybe I'm not recalling correctly, but I could swear I met you when I worked at Baltimore's Best Pawn, last year I think or the year before.
    Never been there. :)

I shot my Scorpion carbine (FDE) as well with the Holosun 510c. First time running it and I LOVED it. I'm buying several for my other rifles...
    I think it's a good PCC, to be sure, but that right hand safety lever is BRUTAL. I was literally bleeding by the last stage because I had such a high hold and the safety kept digging into my trigger finger. Didn't love the trigger, but mil-spec AR triggers aren't anything to write home about.

I bought an HE510-GR based on that experience, though. Really impressed with that optic, and my super-old Eotech was failing.

boss281

Ultimate Member
    Apr 14, 2012
    Carroll County
    Never been there. :)

I think it's a good PCC, to be sure, but that right hand safety lever is BRUTAL. I was literally bleeding by the last stage because I had such a high hold and the safety kept digging into my trigger finger. Didn't love the trigger, but mil-spec AR triggers aren't anything to write home about.

I bought an HE510-GR based on that experience, though. Really impressed with that optic, and my super-old Eotech was failing.
    I have swapped the trigger, trigger spring, mag release and right hand side safety. It helps...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Noha

Latest threads

Top Bottom