• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sbmike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 19, 2011
    Almost Heaven, WV
    Just Curious, but how does sturdy are the PVC bases when windy?

Take a look at post 3, 12 and 18. Mine (3) has two spike holes through the pvc and as I mentioned, I have had no wind issues at all even on fairly breezy days. The front part is actually held down by the weight of the frame. And I've been out there when others that were not anchored were being blown over. I think the other two frames posted on here could easily be drilled for spikes and they too would be pretty sturdy in the wind.

sead0nkey

Señor member
    Jul 25, 2008
    AA
    Headed to AGC this weekend and I plan to shoot up close (7-25) on the pistol range. What frames are being used with the PVC stands everyone built? Can I simply take the specs from the 50 yard frames posted on AGC's site and configure it to work with the PVC base? Could someone post the full set up PVC base with the frame together. I think I comprehend the setup just checking so I don't get funny looks on the range.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    I made my pvc stand to work with the frames I use at 100 yards. I make my frames 7 feet tall.

Used at 7 yards for pistol, I need most of that height in order to post my target high enough so bullets land in the impact area.

Unfortunately, the closer your target is, the higher it needs to be.

However, as you get out around 25 yards, you can post your target lower. If you're shooting at 25 yards, you can just use the metal frames: just zip-tie a big piece of cardboard to the frame- I think it's about 32" square.

For a quick and dirty 25 yard "frame", you can put a single stick in the 25 yard socket, with a square of cardboard stapled to it. With the cardboard centered on the single upright, you can post multiple targets off center to avoid shooting the upright. Since you're not using the metal frame, if anyone squawks about the "single target rule". you should tell them to put it in writing and file it in triplicate.

tball

Ultimate Member
    May 20, 2010
    St. Augustine, Florida
    A challenge at the pistol range for close up shooting is making sure your target is high enough so when you shoot it, you are shooting above the near berm and impacting in the far berm below the top of the berm. You can have multiple targets on your personal target frame if it is made out of wood, but you may only have one target on the metal AGC frames which must be at the 25 or 50 yard line.

I recommend going to the AGC website and reading the range rules for the pistol range before you go. Make sure you don't bring your pistols to the firing line in the morning until the line is hot. Bring an empty chamber indicator for each pistol. You can use zip ties if you don't have an official one.

Have fun!

sead0nkey

Señor member
    Jul 25, 2008
    AA
    I made my pvc stand to work with the frames I use at 100 yards. I make my frames 7 feet tall.

Used at 7 yards for pistol, I need most of that height in order to post my target high enough so bullets land in the impact area.

Unfortunately, the closer your target is, the higher it needs to be.

However, as you get out around 25 yards, you can post your target lower. If you're shooting at 25 yards, you can just use the metal frames: just zip-tie a big piece of cardboard to the frame- I think it's about 32" square.

For a quick and dirty 25 yard "frame", you can put a single stick in the 25 yard socket, with a square of cardboard stapled to it. With the cardboard centered on the single upright, you can post multiple targets off center to avoid shooting the upright. Since you're not using the metal frame, if anyone squawks about the "single target rule". you should tell them to put it in writing and file it in triplicate.

Ok I built a target from their specs on their website, 7' tall. I'll build a pvc base that will fit and give it a go. Thanks!

Redcobra

Senior Shooter
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 10, 2010
    Near the Chesapeake Bay
    Hopefully this is a joke. This is how the other threads got off topic and ended up in disagreements about AGC rules, etc, etc when a simple question/scenario was presented.

Originally Posted by damifinowfish
    Who said you can not rapid fire?

As long as you hit the dirt berm your are fine.

The man knows of what he speaks since he is an AGC RSO.

connors

Mar 24, 2013
    What is the center line distance between AGC 100 Yard range target holes? I'm assuming the PVC target stands need to mimic this distance.

Thanks,

Paul

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    I've always gone 14" outside-to-outside on my target frame legs.

If the sockets in the ground are 1 1/2" diameter (I've never measured them), that would translate to 12 1/2" (twelve and one half inches) on center.

In my 33 years as a carpenter, I have found MOST people are totally confused by the concept of "on center", so it's important to explain.

When 1 1/2" wide studs are located 16" on center, they will have a 14 1/2" space inside-to-inside, and will measure 17 1/2" outside-to-outside.
    Left-side-to-left-side, center-to-center, and right-to-right will all be the same 16".

The sockets at the AGC are 14" outside-to-outside.

If I use 1 1/2" square legs 14" out-to-out (12 1/2" on center), I have to whittle the corners off the bottom 6 inches or so to get them in the sockets.

onthefarm

Jan 15, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    Here's the stand I made. It's meant to be free standing, rather than staked. I'm very skeptical about its stability in a crosswind, though. I left the middle joints unglued, so I can pull it apart and put rebar or gold dubloons or what-not inside for weight. I'll probably drill a couple holes in it and take along a hammer and a couple gutter spikes, too. Just more crap to lug to the range, oh well.

So far, I've tried it once, and it worked great, although there was no wind at all. By the way, I have to post a target about five feet high if I place the stand at about ten yards.

That looks like the one I made! Great minds......

I drilled a hole at both ends at a 45 deg. angle for tent stakes and it is pretty stable. I have used at home, but not at AGC yet.

Last edited:

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    The firing rate is a BIG change from when I used to shoot there.

They used to have a 1 round per second rule.

One of my less favorite memories (and one reason I stopped buying a range badge) was the Range Officer coming over to the pistol range and giving me a load of lip about rapid firing.

I had my timer running and I was 1.1 - 1.2 seconds per round. But figured it was not worth the trouble arguing with the RO. So I packed up, left and never came back.

Erno86

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 27, 2012
    Marriottsville, Maryland
    The firing rate is a BIG change from when I used to shoot there.

They used to have a 1 round per second rule.

One of my less favorite memories (and one reason I stopped buying a range badge) was the Range Officer coming over to the pistol range and giving me a load of lip about rapid firing.

I had my timer running and I was 1.1 - 1.2 seconds per round. But figured it was not worth the trouble arguing with the RO. So I packed up, left and never came back.

Not saying that you do...but the RSO's at AGC Marriottsville --- will still give a shooter "a load of lip" --- if the bullets don't impact the backstop/berm; while firing at any speed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom