• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Abuck

Ultimate Member
    I may or may not have spent the equivalent of several 40hr work weeks over a period of several years gathering what could plausibly be the single largest collection of such materials in private hands.

I readily acknowledge that having them accessible now is not the same as having them accessible in a teotwawki situation.

Nor is merely having them accessible in a teotwawki situation the same as being able to utilize them.

Having an old cellphone with the data stored on both the hdd and an external sd card kept in a small faraday box stored in the safe is not a bad idea...though my particular collection is now into the TB's so it's a bit more cumbersome.
    I’m sure we have a lot of the same files lol. But it sounds like your collection is much more extensive. Lots of great reading of useful knowledge for sure.

Skins_Brew

loves the smell of cosmo
    Mar 4, 2009
    moйтgomeяу сoцйту
    I am in IT, and I am damn good at my job.

But, at the end of the work day, I usually don't touch a computer again until the next day.

Not trying to toot my own horn, but I can do it all. Small engines, big engines, building remote control lawn mowers, carpentry, fixing damn near anything that breaks in my house, electrical, plumbing, the list goes on.

pitpawten

Ultimate Member
    Jan 28, 2013
    I’m sure we have a lot of the same files lol. But it sounds like your collection is much more extensive. Lots of great reading of useful knowledge for sure.
    I really enjoyed reading the Foxfire series, so much that I bought print copies : ) The first 5-6 are best IMO.

I also have a copy of the AT (Appropriate Technology) microfiche library that I got from Alex Weir (via the CD3WD archive) before he passed. It is really better suited for native 3rd world countries though.

I also have a copy of the latest PSSurvival archives before the main site went offline but it has a lot of fluff in it.

I do have a complete print collection of Mother Earth News from #1 back in '71. The old ones are particularly interesting to look at but make me a bit nostalgic for a time I never lived in : /

I think I have pretty much every book on blacksmithing, horseshoeing and the like that exists on archive.org. Took quite a while to find them all and there is much duplicated content but I really enjoy the straightforward style of the old books.

That reminds me @Blacksmith101, I've still got some old wrought iron with your name on it from a couple years ago. Haven't been back up to R&T show recently else ide bring it.

pitpawten

Ultimate Member
    Jan 28, 2013
    I am in IT, and I am damn good at my job.

But, at the end of the work day, I usually don't touch a computer again until the next day.

Not trying to toot my own horn, but I can do it all. Small engines, big engines, building remote control lawn mowers, carpentry, fixing damn near anything that breaks in my house, electrical, plumbing, the list goes on.
    A renaissance man, your kind used to be MUCH more common just 100 years ago.

I have stories about my great grandfather who was a farmer/preacher and could work on anything, fixing the model t with the wire from a discarded bushel basket he found on the side of the road near where he broke down and still made it to church on time : )

Abuck

Ultimate Member
    I really enjoyed reading the Foxfire series, so much that I bought print copies : ) The first 5-6 are best IMO.

I also have a copy of the AT (Appropriate Technology) microfiche library that I got from Alex Weir (via the CD3WD archive) before he passed. It is really better suited for native 3rd world countries though.

I also have a copy of the latest PSSurvival archives before the main site went offline but it has a lot of fluff in it.

I do have a complete print collection of Mother Earth News from #1 back in '71. The old ones are particularly interesting to look at but make me a bit nostalgic for a time I never lived in : /

I think I have pretty much every book on blacksmithing, horseshoeing and the like that exists on archive.org. Took quite a while to find them all and there is much duplicated content but I really enjoy the straightforward style of the old books.

That reminds me @Blacksmith101, I've still got some old wrought iron with your name on it from a couple years ago. Haven't been back up to R&T show recently else ide bring it.
    Nice! I have some Foxfire and Mother Earth print here. The ex GF I got them from had so much more. Understood about a different time.

It sounds like you do have a hell of a collection. I hope we never actually need any of our TEOTWAWKI preps. But even if not at that level, there’s still so much to learn, and practice.

pitpawten

Ultimate Member
    Jan 28, 2013
    I hope we never actually need any of our TEOTWAWKI preps. But even if not at that level, there’s still so much to learn, and practice.
    Same, fortunately I enjoy actually doing all of these things as well : )

Rambler

Doing the best with the worst.
    Oct 22, 2011
    In a grid down situation, arc welding is over. Gas lasts as long as the tanks hold out. Then It is all blacksmithing; this assumes hand operated bellows/blowers. The same goes for electronically stored information, books, manuals etc. Solar power is adequate to access low power devices, but printed books etc. trump all in the long term. Up thread, someone mentioned medieval tech. That is the key. There are books about the trades in that era that go into how things were done before the industrial revolution. Access to belt driven machine shop tools, obviously more modern than medieval, would be essential to repair and fabrication of things in this situation.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012

Thank you for thinking of me but I am getting to old to do much 'smithing any more so either donate it to the R&T Shop or find a young smith who is dedicated to the craft and give it to them.

Another good series of books to collect are the USDA Yearbook of Agriculture, each book is about a single topic such as Water, Soil, Insects, Trees, Animal Health, Living On A Few Acres, etc.
    Here are some links to get you started:
    Water
    Insects
    Seeds
    Trees

Last edited:

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    In a grid down situation, arc welding is over. Gas lasts as long as the tanks hold out. Then It is all blacksmithing; this assumes hand operated bellows/blowers. The same goes for electronically stored information, books, manuals etc. Solar power is adequate to access low power devices, but printed books etc. trump all in the long term. Up thread, someone mentioned medieval tech. That is the key. There are books about the trades in that era that go into how things were done before the industrial revolution. Access to belt driven machine shop tools, obviously more modern than medieval, would be essential to repair and fabrication of things in this situation.
    It's apparent you have never even seen a gasoline or diesel powered buzz box much less used one. Moonshine or vegitable oil will run them until we run out of rods. I might demo your house to get the nails I need to keep buzzin'

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    It's apparent you have never even seen a gasoline or diesel powered buzz box much less used one. Moonshine or vegitable oil will run them until we run out of rods. I might demo your house to get the nails I need to keep buzzin'
    When you run out of coated rods do you know how to make a coating? The earliest rods used cellulose and a lime wash. I have arc welded with a coat hanger (old style heavy ones) wrapped in news paper (makes it stick less) wasn't pretty or easy but welded two pieces of steel together. Forge welding isn't too hard once you learn to judge the temperature and not to hit hard at the start. You can also braze in a forge.(even using empty cartridge cases as filler)

Water can always be split into oxygen and hydrogen and used for gas welding.

Last edited:

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    Grab yourself a copy of "where there is no doctor" and "where there is no dentist" I believe they are published by Hesperian.
    Thanks. I'm familiar with such books but with all my military medical experience there's little to add from them.

Crosseye Dominant

Ultimate Member
    Sep 1, 2018
    I'd start the International Defensive Spear Association and change the equipment rules constantly so my family that happens to make spears could sell lots of new ones every year.

wpage

Ultimate Member
    Oct 17, 2022
    Southern Delaware
    With over 8 billion and growing population. The end of the world as we know it, could be a scary place regardless of your profession.

When folk get hungry they get nasty. Being a weapons expert could be a valuable skill if cannibals become a problem.

Being a Brewmeister/pot grower or owning a still would be helpful to help calm the masses of unhappy hippies.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    With over 8 billion and growing population. The end of the world as we know it, could be a scary place regardless of your profession.
    I guess the question becomes the nature of the apocalypse. How many of these people are left? Are all areas of the globe equally impacted?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom