M4 Feed Ramp Extension
    HP and MPI tested
    Weight: 18oz

AXk me how I know....

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    So no one knows, only sarcastic answers, I would ask on another forum Slowhand, I asked my neighbor and he only said four grooves. Sorry some are not as helpful as others here.

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    So no one knows, only sarcastic answers, I would ask on another forum Slowhand, I asked my neighbor and he only said four grooves. Sorry some are not as helpful as others here.

What's really sad is the fact all this would have been avoided by CALLING THE COMPANY THAT MAKES IT. ;) :innocent0

You know....instead of asking random people who probably don't make it and therefore won't have the slightest clue what manufacturing processes are used...

Even sadder is that instead of accepting that this is actually a helpful statement in more ways than one (important life lessons and all that happy ass horse shit) it will be taken only with the sandiest of vaginals.

All is not lost though.

Pearls are going up in value.

bobthefisher

Durka ninja
    Aug 18, 2010
    Definitely not where you are!
    Yeesh, come on people, can't we all just get along. Anyway, not a rifling expert by any means, but I educated myself a bit while shopping for my match barrel. Not familiar with the OP's barrel in question. But if you have a basic understanding of rifling, the specs speak for themselves. Basically, polygonal rifling can be an option in the hammer forging process and can create a better gas seal (i.e. more efficient combustion). Cut rifling is sometimes sought after as the grooves are more pronounced stabilizing the bullet. For instance, the barrel I got is a Lothar Walther polygonal with 1-8" rifle twist at 20" long, in a .223 Wylde chamber. It was hammer forged using a reverse image. Very well made using their LW50 stainless steel, which has a very low sulfur count, which equates to a longer life span. It shoots through the same hole at 100yrds with a 69gr bullet and 25gr of H335 Hodgdon powder. The question you should be asking yourself is what weight/length .30cal bullet do you plan on using with your barrel... and the question before that is what is the intended purpose of this rifle? Considering it's only 8" I'm guessing you're looking into shooting 220gr subsonic bullets, which obviously require much less powder, as they have to stay below the 1100fps (sonic speed) threshold. However, I'm not sure what is the best rifle twist for 220gr .30cal bullets using subsonic loads on a 8" barrel. I'm sure there is some loading data out there. They wouldn't of made these barrels for nothing. Since it's a CMV barrel done by a small company (Aero), I wager it's button rifled. Seems like a good barrel for subsonic loads.

This is on Wikipedia and sums it up pretty well:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rifling

- cutting one groove at a time with a machine tool (cut rifling or single point cut rifling);
    - cutting all grooves in one pass with a special progressive broaching bit (broached rifling);
    - pressing all grooves at once with a tool called a "button" that is pushed or pulled down the barrel (button rifling);
    - forging the barrel over a mandrel containing a reverse image of the rifling, and often the chamber as well (hammer forging);
    - flow forming the barrel preform over a mandrel containing a reverse image of the rifling (rifling by flow forming)

Polygonal specifics:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polygonal_rifling

4150 CrMoV = chromium (Cr), molybdenum (Mo) and vanadium (V), or pronounced Chrome-Moly-Vanadium (CMV), the 4150 is the ratio rating of the metals and impurities. Basically, Mil-Spec quality steel.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    It's a safe bet that if it were : 1. Polygonal 2. Hammer Forged 3. Cut rifled , it would be promently stated so in their advertising/ website.
    So that would point to being either button or broach rifled.

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    Ok, ok .. I just ordered a 10" lothar. I'm not sure if it has buttons to push or if I need a hammer or ....:) I'm building an SBR I asked the attorney he said trust, I asked the ATF they said form 1 , I asked the engineer he said Lothar Walther 10".

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    The aero barrels are a great deal if you're on a tighter budget but if one has the chance to splurge, LW and rainier ultra match are probably top of the pops without going full custom. You gon be happy. ;)

MSCSMD

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 11, 2014
    honestly, with an 8" barrel in a rifle caliber, can the barrel alone make much difference? having said that, i have wilson combats on my rifle pistol/sbr's. ;)

The aero barrels are a great deal if you're on a tighter budget but if one has the chance to splurge, LW and rainier ultra match are probably top of the pops without going full custom. You gon be happy. ;)

Slowhand

Pre-Banned
    Dec 13, 2011
    In a van, down by the river.
    Not considered an acceptable call from my workplace. And I was hoping to find someone on this board with some experience with this barrel. Calling the company will not get me 1st-hand objective experience. I sort of thought there were a lot of experts here, regular joes who like to help. The fact that nobody has experience is no big deal. I'm just a little dissappointed you recommend instead of posting here that I do what I obviously would have if it were feasible. But I will enjoy shooting it at that club you say won't respond to your emails. Maybe you should call the company. And after the barrel arrives I'll be more than happy to answer anybodies questions about it.

What's really sad is the fact all this would have been avoided by CALLING THE COMPANY THAT MAKES IT. ;) :innocent0

You know....instead of asking random people who probably don't make it and therefore won't have the slightest clue what manufacturing processes are used...

Even sadder is that instead of accepting that this is actually a helpful statement in more ways than one (important life lessons and all that happy ass horse shit) it will be taken only with the sandiest of vaginals.

All is not lost though.

Pearls are going up in value.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I double checked the origional post. The specific inquiry was *how* the bbl was rifled. Indeed the Mfg would be the horse's mouth regarding their specific mfg processes.

Now if the main question was regarding : What results have people had , are they pleased with Aero Precision barrels generally , and that .300 bbl specifically , I'm sure people woukd have shared that instead.

pwoolford

AR15's make me :-)
    Jan 3, 2012
    White Marsh
    Ok, ok .. I just ordered a 10" lothar. I'm not sure if it has buttons to push or if I need a hammer or ....:) I'm building an SBR I asked the attorney he said trust, I asked the ATF they said form 1 , I asked the engineer he said Lothar Walther 10".

You then asked Maryland and they shrieked in horror and cried to the ATF to disapprove all those nasty, mean, scary-looking, and legal SBR's on FORM 1's!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kdaily1127

Latest threads

Top Bottom