• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • josh19

Dec 12, 2013
    Hi everyone,

A month ago, I posted for advice in getting a 9mm carbine. Well, I just got a lonewolf 9mm carbine. Pretty much what I expected - familiar AR15 platform (minus the bolt open last round feature), the bolt assembly is very simple. The glock 17/19/26 mag all fit snuggly well. The carbine comes with a quad-picatinny rail. I attached a bipod to it.

I appreciate for any advice for the type of optics and iron sight I should get. I wonder I should give a red dot sight a try (never have one before). I figure this is a 9mm, may be a closer range red dot is suffice. Instead of the more powerful 4-12/4-16 scope.

1. What do you think of my logic ? And any red dot sight you recommend ?
    2. For iron sight I am thinking about the AR15 Magpul mbus front an rear sight. Will this be good.

Thanks again for all your help.

awptickes

Jun 26, 2011
    N. Of Perryville
    My wife can hit anything she puts the red dot on (cheapo primary arms $50 unit) at about 50 yards with her 7.5" 9mm AR Pistol. We did have an issue where it would loosen up, but a couple taps with a punch on the securing nut to stake it fixed that.

I suspect the ballistics of the 9mm through a 7.5" barrel is pretty flat out to about 125 yards (max on my range at home) because I can consistently ring steel at that distance with little to no holdover. I don't really see a point in a magnified optic for a 9mm, unless you want to do something crazy with it. If I had one, I'd put a 3x magnifier behind the red dot just to play around when she'd let me.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Along the lines ofawptickles' observations, the trajector of 9mm carbine would be basically similar to 4in .357 revolver. ( Reasonably flat trajectory to aprox 100, not too bad to 125- ish.)

I would generally be pleased/ recomend iron sights on one, and can see where fans of non-magnifing red dots would like them

But never say never, and zi can think of two plausable scenarios for scoping one. :

Small game hunting for squirrel sized game. Probably accuraccy limited to +/- 50yds, 4X works for rimfires at those distances, should be just as suitable on 9mm carbine.

Deer sized game. Sometimes in the woods with shadows, overcast skys, sunrise/ sunset , in order to see the game , non-magnifing just isn't quite enough. Somthing like 2.5x helps just enough, yet still has generous field of view and depth of field. ( To allow of quick target aquisition when shouldering gun, and for maintaining view of moving targets.)

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    I have a red-dot on my 9mm carbine. Works great to practice off-hand shooting at 25 and 50yrds. You are not going to hunt anything with the thing, right ?

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    if you want to see some options, come to the peacemaker national (www.peacemakernational.com) supersteel match (falling steel, uspsa-style) on sat 30th (west of frederick, north of winchester, south of hagerstown). should be at least a few folks shooting PCC at the morning and afternoon matches. you're welcome to look thru mine (c-more tactical railway 6moa) and i'm sure my buddies will do the same for you. i'm doing the afternoon match.

josh19

Dec 12, 2013
    My wife can hit anything she puts the red dot on (cheapo primary arms $50 unit) at about 50 yards with her 7.5" 9mm AR Pistol. We did have an issue where it would loosen up, but a couple taps with a punch on the securing nut to stake it fixed that.

Hi, the lonewolf is a 16" inch barrel. Look almost identical to a AR15 except the mag is the skinny glock. So I think it should improve the Trajectory and range (not sure by how much). One reason I like this is that I can shoot that at indoor range (25 yard).

After google for red dot review, I think I will get the
    Vortex StrikeFire II Red Dot Scope ......price is decent and seems to have good review.
    http://www.opticsplanet.com/vortex-vortex-strikefire-ii-red-dot-4-moa.html

It lists 3 model, I think red dot is fine, unless there is an advantage in multi color

Question: Cantilever Mount ? is this good to have vs. standard mount ? Google said it give more eye relief.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    Hi, the lonewolf is a 16" inch barrel. Look almost identical to a AR15 except the mag is the skinny glock. So I think it should improve the Trajectory and range (not sure by how much).

9mm velocity increases until about 8in barrel length and doesn't do much after that.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    9mm velocity in carbines varies a lot ( primarily depending on powder used). You can't really generalize w/o actually chrono'ing the particular load and lot thereof.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom