• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • josh19

Dec 12, 2013
    Hello all, I already has a S&W 686 and Glock 19, both great guns. I am researching for a compact revolver/semi to supplement both of these.

Seems the more I research, the harder it is to decide for the light weight, compact revolver (Glock 26 seems no brainer, excellent review). My revolver choices narrow down to the list below (and my concerns)

1. Ruger LCR 357 - also chamber 38 big plus, price is good around $550, but I read some concerns about cylinder locking and flame cutting. Those are old posts couple years ago so I figure whatever the problem, Ruger has fixed all the issues)

2. S&W M&P 340 (both 357/38/38+P) - looks great, good review but much more pricey in $800 range

3. S&W 642 - heard is the #1 best seller, 38 &+P

4. S&W 637 - same as 642 but exposed hammer, 38 &+P

4. S&W 442 - # 2 best seller, 38 &+P

I like the 340 but for its price I can get the Luger LCR357 and almost can get a Glock 26

BTW: reason I choose Glock 26 is its compatibility with different Glock 9mm magazine.

I appreciate your input and experience. Much thanks

joppaj

Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Why do you want a light weight revolver? Unless you're carrying, weight is your friend to soak up recoil.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Ruger SP-101 in .357 Magnum. It's a five shot revolver.

An older (15 years) Taurus Model 85 is a fantastic little five shot revolver in .38 Special/+P.

And what Joppa said.

josh19

Dec 12, 2013
    Why do you want a light weight revolver? Unless you're carrying, weight is your friend to soak up recoil.

That is the problem, I always thought the last gun I brought is the end of it. But I always find a reason to add to my collection. I just like the look and feel of a compact. May be this is really the last two I will get. or at least after I get the Glock 26

pop-gunner

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2008
    I have both J frames, and a LCR .38.
    I won't buy a new J frame with a lock in it.
    I love the LCR.
    Better trigger than the Smiths and lighter. I have fired super light .357s in the past, and knew I didn't need that in my life. Speer has some great ammo designed to work in short barreled revolvers so I feel fine with .38 +P.
    All that said if I was going to get one now it would be the LCR in 9mm.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Best snubby options are LCR .38 and lockless 442/642. All three of them are nice. The lockless 442/642 are available in MD for the same price as the ILS version.

Forget about. 357. Have you shot something like .38+P 158gr through any of these lightweight revolvers? Recoil is, ahem, ferocious.

joppaj

Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    That is the problem, I always thought the last gun I brought is the end of it. But I always find a reason to add to my collection. I just like the look and feel of a compact. May be this is really the last two I will get. or at least after I get the Glock 26

Get an Sp-101. The extra weight will make .357 bearable. Mind you, it still won't be a fun range gun and frankly snub nosed revolvers aren't generally all that enjoyable for extended shooting sessions. They're defensive weapons, not target guns.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    I'm gonna go against the grain here and say get a S&W model 49. Gives you both options as far as the hammer is concerned or snag a snubby model 10 if you want that extra round. Or a model 36

All these will increase in value and being a MD resident you won't be allowed to carry it enough for you to hurt it!

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Snubby revolvers are fun and challenging to shoot, don't need to buy one just to carry it. I'm partial to S&W, love my 442, you get a high grip, and can really learn to fire DA well. You can opt for other models if you want a steel frame, the ability to fire in SA, or other features with or without internal locks. The LCR is a sweet shooting revolver also, a little better trigger than a S&W out of the box, but with a minor job on the S&W it's basically a tossup IMO. 357 revolvers do have the added benefit of a longer extractor that pulls 38s out of the cylinder or close to it, and a little more weight, but in either you will probably avoid firing 357 ammo unless you are showing off, or like the abuse. Recoil is stiff with the included boot grips, but easy enough to add a larger grip for comfort if you want.

The Baby glocks are also a lot of fun, probably a more practical defensive pistol than a snubby revolver, but like most compacts learning the techniques and how to deal with the short sight radius is a valuable skill. One cool thing is that you can use your 19 mags with the 26, add the x-grip sleeve and you get a surprisingly comfortable "bobtail" grip profile that feels as good or possibly better than the normal G19 grip. People love sticking finger extensions on the short mags, I'm not a fan, would rather use the larger mag/sleeve for better comfort and capacity in the same size, or use GAP floorplates to better control it with a 4 finger grip without adding length.

great choice in gear BTW
    20160211_105717.jpg

I have a Model 60 in .357. It is not the most fun to shoot, actually my hand ends up rather raw from the recoil. But it is excellent for carry because it just disappears on my waist. Considering how well the .38 +P ammo is, I wouldn't suggest getting the .357 just because the recoil is hard to manage if you're not used to it and even if you are. Other than that, I love S&W wheelguns.

RegularJay

NRA & SAF Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 20, 2007
    Harford County
    I have a Glock 26 and an vintage airweight Chiefs Special snubby, get the Glock. I hate saying this because its polymer and has no soul but the S&W is miserable (at least for me) to actually shoot. Better grips would certainly help the S&W but I don't think anything could help it shoot as comfortably as the soulless plastic wonder. Twice the capacity in a package only a little larger is likely not a bad thing either.

SC to MD

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 8, 2016
    Hello all, I already has a S&W 686 and Glock 19, both great guns. I am researching for a compact revolver/semi to supplement both of these.

I say get the 442, save up and then get the g26. That is what you really want to do anyway. :D

I owned a g26 many years ago and sold/traded it... stupid decision. Those guns are great. And even better when you have another 9mm glock, like I did (g17). Sold that as well... for the g23.

Now I'm going back to 9mm, g19, and then will get the g26 again. 26 is a great carry/shooters gun. At the time that I sold it, I thought the g23 would be the only gun I'd need for carry. It is great, but I like options. And I won't be stupid this time, I'll keep the g23. :)

The 442 feels nice in the hand and will be my first purchase this time around. Great gun to jam in a coat pocket or front pocket during summer (if you have a carry license like I do and travel outside of Maryland). Friend of mine had one years ago and they are nice little guns.

INMY01TA

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2008
    I wanted a Ruger LCR for a while until I held a S&W 640. The 640 will be my next.

Bafflingbs

Gozer the Destroyer
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 16, 2013
    Calvert County
    I have an LCR 38+p. That sucker hurts to shoot. Buy a shield or a glock 43 instead. That being said. I'd go for the SP101 if you're dead set.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    I say get the 442, save up and then get the g26. That is what you really want to do anyway. :D

I owned a g26 many years ago and sold/traded it... stupid decision. Those guns are great. And even better when you have another 9mm glock, like I did (g17). Sold that as well... for the g23.

Now I'm going back to 9mm, g19, and then will get the g26 again. 26 is a great carry/shooters gun. At the time that I sold it, I thought the g23 would be the only gun I'd need for carry. It is great, but I like options. And I won't be stupid this time, I'll keep the g23. :)

The 442 feels nice in the hand and will be my first purchase this time around. Great gun to jam in a coat pocket or front pocket during summer (if you have a carry license like I do and travel outside of Maryland). Friend of mine had one years ago and they are nice little guns.
    You don't sound too sure on that G23. I'd be happy to take it off your hands when you are ready.

josh19

Dec 12, 2013
    Thank you for the threaded discussion, very informative. Well, this afternoon, I filled out the paper work to get the Glock 26, will be ready for pick up next week. It come with 3 mag, and I also brought the grip extensions and it feels really good. Otherwise feel strange wit the pinkie sticking out. I already has the G19, so the mag can be used on both. Reading the Glock mag compatibility, G26 seem has the best spread of choices. Was tempted to get the .40 G27 but 9mm is what I feel comfortable with.I think I make the right choice with G26.

I also tried out the S&W 340, Ruger LCR. When holding these guns, I was amazed how flimsy (if that is the right word), small and light weight these compact revolver are. I just can not imagine how big the recoil is for shooting 357. Model 60 (Lady Smith was what I tried), and 637 feels more solid and heavier. I think at this point I like 637 the best (vs 642), the exposed hammer may be an advantage for more steady in pulling the trigger. Well the search will continue for the next compact revolver. Really hope that is the last one I will buy.

josh19

Dec 12, 2013
    Hi, couple unrelated questions

1. Where is good place to buy inexpensive ammo. I get all mine online in place like bulkammo.com. On avg, I paid 28 cents/rd for 38 sp, 22 cents/rd for 9mm, 34 cents/rd for .223 and recently I found this targetsportUSA that has the best 22LR for around 8 cents/rd. Does these sounds good price ?

2. Ruger 10/22 BX-25 mag. Mine jam quite often. I disassemble it, clean feed lips, the spring and lubricate the follower. There are also other online tips to shave off the feed lips down a bit. Not sure it is a good idea. Most people seem very happy with their mag, so I just wonder if I just happened to buy the bad one.

Much appreciated.

Hi, couple unrelated questions

1. Where is good place to buy inexpensive ammo. I get all mine online in place like bulkammo.com. On avg, I paid 28 cents/rd for 38 sp, 22 cents/rd for 9mm, 34 cents/rd for .223 and recently I found this targetsportUSA that has the best 22LR for around 8 cents/rd. Does these sounds good price ?

2. Ruger 10/22 BX-25 mag. Mine jam quite often. I disassemble it, clean feed lips, the spring and lubricate the follower. There are also other online tips to shave off the feed lips down a bit. Not sure it is a good idea. Most people seem very happy with their mag, so I just wonder if I just happened to buy the bad one.

Much appreciated.

I always check ammograb.com. I used to check gunbot.net but it's so slow I got tired of it. I can usually find some good prices on there, helps that they list the cost per round too

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom