• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tmd99

Aug 22, 2015
    Frederick
    Need advice on making a few cuts to a leather holster. I searched old threads but didn't see anything. Have an IWB Leather holster that partially covers and can activate ambi magazine release on pants side (outside) of holster. I need to cut just a little of the holster away from the magazine release so i don't have a magazine drop out on me. Before i started attempting to cut, thought i'd tap into expertise on the forum to see if anyone has suggestions for best tools to do this. I have to cut approx 1/8 or more around mag release and would like to know which tool(s) would work best for this since i've never worked on a piece of leather like this. It is double leather wall since it is place where holster portion joins with belt retention clip portion so is fairly thick that needs cutting. Was thinking even a drill bit around this size but thought i'd get the advice of experts before i screwed up a holster. Any suggestions are welcome...

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    I've done lots of leather work, but without seeing the area it's hard to recommend a tool.

I'm assuming the area is hidden. Is there a chance of cutting through any stitching?

A shiny new Exacto/hobby knife may work. A small radiused carving tool may work too.

Look up Tandy Leather Company for ideas and possible tools. There may still be a store located in Essex.

tmd99

Aug 22, 2015
    Frederick
    Pic of Issue

Maybe getting close to stitching. Think i need to cut everything above as well to prevent mag drop upon drawing weapon.

Attachments

• IMG-20160118-01979.jpg
      IMG-20160118-01979.jpg
      120.5 KB · Views: 174

jtb81100

Ultimate Member
    May 28, 2012
    Western HoCo
    My first thought is it is too close to, if not overlapping, the stitching to modify. If there is room, try skiving or sanding the inside leather down a bit in that area before you try cutting. You may be able to free it up enough without changing the outside appearance. If the release overlaps the stitching, I'd just look into getting a different holster.

tmd99

Aug 22, 2015
    Frederick
    yeah jtb was thinking if I hit that stitching, gonna have to get a new one, although this was advertised for this specific pistol, it kind of annoys me that it overlaps the mag release. The fact that when I put pressure on that portion of the holster and it drops the mag is what concerns me. I guess i'll tinker and worst case, get a new one and just drop the company a note saying they suck. live and learn.

tmd99

Aug 22, 2015
    Frederick
    Filing seemed to work. Decided to give it a shot tonight. Thanks for the info guys, especially IH8, seemed to do the trick.

Attachments

• Holster post-filing.jpg
      Holster post-filing.jpg
      116.7 KB · Views: 135

nedsurf

Ultimate Member
    Feb 8, 2013
    Doing leather work is not hard but doing flawless leather work, like all things worth it, takes what it takes to get to Carnegie hall.

To get a nice finished edge, you want to bevel, burnish, dye and/or edge coat it. You can bevel the edge with a regular sharp knife using your thumb as a guide like cutting an apple. You can also sand a bevel on it but it will be rougher. Use the wooden handle of a tool or a dowel to burnish it. Get the edge a little wet and rub it vigorously with the tool you choose. You can use a brown permanent marker to dye it if you don't want to go buy a bottle of leather dye. I have seen brown leather dye in typical box stores and grocery stores though. I've seen some other types of flexible paint/glue like products used as edge dressing as substitutes for commercial leather edge dressing. Some people just wax an edge down instead of edge dressing.

It looks like you got a little close to the stitching. If it blows, go get some waxed thread, and a couple blunt stitching needles. All can be found in the crafts section of wally world. Find an awl or something sharp to put new stitching holes further into the holster but not interfering with the gun. Space the stitching with a ruler and make a shallow groove for the thread to sit in along the stitch line. This keeps the thread from rubbing down with wear. Learn and use the saddle stitch. Stitch over a couple stitches of the original sewing to lock it in.

If you have to glue leather, use Barge or Dap contact cement exactly as per instructions. Again found at wally world but in the home repair section.

Happy leather working!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom