• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MudRhino

Jul 8, 2011
    So I'd like to get into the 308 bolt action game. This would be strictly for target shooting, not hunting (at least not in the near future).

Rifle-wise, I mostly shoot my 16" AR and converted Saiga 5.45 and have recently had a ton of fun experimenting with 223 handloads and shooting my AR from a bipod while seated (I'm getting better, but can still only pull around 2 inches on average at 50 yards running a Spikes mid-length with stock spikes trigger and vortex strikefire with 2x magnifier).

Generally a fan of the adage "buy once, cry once" but I'm not looking to spend a fortune right now on a setup; a 1 MOA rifle and "decent" optic would be more than adequate especially considering I currently shoot at a range with max 50 yard lanes.

This is what I am considering right now at my price point:

1. Stevens Model 200
    2. Howa Targetmaster package (comes with a Nikko Stirling 4-16)
    3. Ruger American Rifle

I'm really leaning toward the Stevens as from the research I've done, it seems to just be a Savage Model 10 in a different stock so I'd have alot of room to upgrade should I desire it down the road. For the price, looks like it'll be an awesome shooter that'll take me a while to catch-up with! What do you guys think?

Am I missing any other comparable 308s in this price range that any of you would strongly consider? (I left the 700 of the list because its pricepoint is a bit higher).

Thanks in advance.

Yoshi

Invictus
    Jun 9, 2010
    Someplace in Maryland
    What is your price point? Not knowing that, I would look at the Savage and 700's. Some can be had in the $500-$600 range. My Savage PC shoots sub-MOA and I consider that my "budget" rifle. Don't have any experience with the 700s, but lots of peeps shoot them. Both are highly costumizable, more so the 700, so you can grow into them. The scope... Well, that's another story. In any case, I was shooting for less than $1000 on my Savage to include rifle, scope, bipod, and stock pack.

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    spend at least as much on optics as you do the rifle. AT LEAST.

package deals never have good optics. nikko sterlings are okay for hunting over a feeder during daylight hours, when you've parked the truck a couple hundred yards away behind some trees. that's about it.

the savage trophy hunter packages come with a decent-for-hunting nikon bdc scope, but they're not target shooting rifles.

if $1000-$1200 is out of your price range for rifle/optics right now, just keep saving up. you'll just be disappointed if you cheap out on either/both.

fireup

Oct 14, 2010
    Catonsville
    If you don't want a gun with a ton of upgrades and aftermarket parts, stay away from the 700's!!! I just fell into that hole hook line and sinker...
    Remington 700aac-sd + nightforce base&rings + vortex viper 6-24 ffp + Harris bipod + B&C stock + upgraded bolt handle = $0 left of my pitiful paycheck.
    And the sad thing is I keep thinking of more things I want to do with it. Freakin money pit.

Anyways... You should definitely look at the 700

SevernBob

It's All Boogered Up
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 17, 2012
    Severn
    I got the Ruger American in .308 about a week ago ($350). I just wanted a cheap, but accurate bolt in that cal since I have plenty of that ammo. I haven't been able to shoot it yet. I already have a scope for it that cost about as much as the rifle. It is very light and feels, well, plasticy and unsubstantial. I liked the floating barrel and adjustable trigger. If you're looking for a more traditional rifle with a heavier barrel and all the aesthetics such as a wood stock, don't go with this one. Otherwise, and without having tried it yet, the Ruger seems like an excellent value.

huesmann

n00b
    Mar 23, 2012
    Silver Spring, MD
    Most manufacturers have a mid-plus line of rifles and an entry-level line. Rough figures, $600-700 vs. $200-300. Examples: Savage has the Axis and Remington has the 770, as entry-level lines.

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    If you can't afford at least a Remington 700 or Savage then you can't afford the ammo right now. Keep saving until you can buy a good gun that will serve you for many years to come.

highwayheat

highwayheat
    Jun 13, 2012
    Ceciltucky
    I wanted a Ruger Ametican in .308 but they were on extreme back order at the time. I settled with a 30-06 and can't beat the rifle for the money.

Bolts Rock

Living in Free America!
    Apr 8, 2012
    Northern Alabama
    Can't go wrong with a Rem 700 SPS Varmint to start. Add a 20MOA rail and a decent scope to be good to go. H-S and B&C make drop in stocks for upgrade later if you so choose. As for glass, you aren't a professional sniper so spending stupid money on glass isn't going to buy you much as a casual user. Vortex makes some nice tactical glass in the $400-$600 range. When Midway runs a special the Millett TRS-1 is a decent value, last time I saw them on special they were about $200, Bushnell does the warranty work.

Celtic159

Nov 27, 2008
    Poolesville
    I decided to buy once, cry once. I got a 700 5R threaded barrel and Nightforce optics from 2A. It was horrifically expensive, but I'll never want for another bolt-action.

Attachments

• IMG_1947.jpg
      IMG_1947.jpg
      61.6 KB · Views: 307

Sonomer

Jul 22, 2012
    I saw a Ruger American in .308 at the North East Wal-Mart over the weekend on my trip up there to head to Elk Neck. It might be still there for anyone interested. Great bang for the buck on that rifle. As an owner of a 700 and a Model Seven, I can't say enough about the 700 platform. However, if I could do it all over again, a Savage 10 series would be first on my list.

MudRhino

Jul 8, 2011
    Well, now I'm even more undecided! But seriously, thanks for all the info.

I plan to reload, but yes, ammo will be a concern as I have zero 308 brass (not to mention I can't find 308 dies in stock anywhere).

Maybe my plan'll be to watch the classifieds for a nice package. I'm pretty much with Severnbob: I just want a cheap bolt action 308 to play around with. I don't even know if I'll really like the caliber. If I was planning on dropping $2000, I'd just man up and go the AR10 route (technically I already have a DPMS LR-308 upper on backorder from Brownells but they don't even have an estimate on potential ship dates).

INMY01TA

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2008
    Remington 700 SPS Tactical .308
    Harris bipod
    EGW 20 moa base
    Burris XTR low rings
    Millett TRS-1
    Badger bolt knob
    About $1,300 so far I think.

f09afadd7223682d748aa7b3300086e3_zps437914d6.jpg

ca4678d14690c75fe3b68909313afcae_zps0923b6f3.jpg

MudRhino

Jul 8, 2011
    Celtic159, Redcobra, and INMY01TA, those are some gorgeous setups! What distance do y'all shoot at (and where)?

Redcobra

Senior Shooter
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 10, 2010
    Near the Chesapeake Bay
    Celtic159, Redcobra, and INMY01TA, those are some gorgeous setups! What distance do y'all shoot at (and where)?

I shoot primarily at the AGC which is limited to 200 yds. Hard to find longer ranges in close proximity to me. It's one of the reasons I shoot Iron Sight Military weapons like the M1 and M1 Carbine, and am considering selling the Savage. It's legs are too long for the ranges near me. At 200 yards hitting the bull with the Savage is no challenge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom