• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • eos40b

Senile Member
    Hi am looking for advice and what would be a good buy for my first home defense pump shot gun. In all honesty I dont want to be spending a huge amount of money on it. It will only be used for HD and taking down the range every now again to get the feel for it. Is second hand better than going new?
    Thanks for all any suggestions.

ADR

Ultimate Member
    Aug 17, 2011
    Mossberg 500 or Remington 870 would be my suggestion. I'm personally a Mossberg guy but either will do the job well.

Nothing wrong with used as long as it's been taken care of but either can be had for a fair price even when new.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Rem. 870 or Moss. 500 will fit the bill just fine.

If you do a little searching, it's been debated quite thoroughly here before.

For cost and ease of use/maintenance - I'd vote Mossberg 500 for pump, although everyone is going to have their own preference. Even new should be able to find Mossy 500's for under $300 (I did).

INMY01TA

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2008
    Mossberg Maverick. Very easy on the wallet and fun for blasting at the range.

fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    I think you're done looking with the 500 or 870.

the budget versions are the Maverick (Mossy) or the NEF (Rem) versions of both. but why buy budget if you're talking about HD

Aug 19, 2011
    Fredneck, MD
    I bought the 500, but could've easily gone with the 870. I liked the looks of the the 870 better than the Mossy, but liked the 500 safety and slide release better than the 870.

Mr H

Banana'd
    Personally, I'm a 500 fan.

It's the Honda Civic of shottys, yes... but I have no complaints!!

Plus, when one of my future DILs (ex-Navy) saw mine, she started drooling. DOWN GIRL!!!

LOL

Before...
    50440.jpg

After...
    100_1204.jpg

(though I've added a shell-holder sling since)

Gaius Baltar

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 7, 2010
    maverick 88/mossberg 500 will do the job. 18.5 to 20 inch barrel. pick up some buckshots and save the bird shells for the birds. the concept of kiss (keeping it simple stupid) applies with a shotgun.

fyi- i'm not a fan of adding red dots or lasers to shotguns.

Jester1341

Pro Judge
    Apr 22, 2010
    Clear Spring, MD
    maverick 88.........why? it works and it's cheap. if you buy one for HD that you think you may have to use(bad area, etc) buy cheap, cuz if you use it the police are gonna 'borow it' for a while. keep the toys locked up safe and locked up.

john

sykesville

Ultimate Member
    Whichever you choose, think about putting a nice tactical light on it. In a home defense situation in the middle of the night (or anywhere for that matter), you don't want to shoot what you can't see. A strobe light is great, too, because you would disorient the bad guy while being able to see perfectly clearly.

Silverlode

Ultimate Member
    Aug 16, 2010
    Frederick
    Mossberg 500 and Remington 870's are infinitely pimpable and budget friendly.

You just can't go wrong here. You will hear it over and over, until you buy one.

If I was forced to choose I would go with the Remington.

Last edited:

BrewDoc_MD

Piss off, ghost!
    Apr 25, 2012
    Myersville, MD
    I'm interested in an inexpensive 12g for HD, too. Was leaning Mossberg 500, but I recently stumbled upon this at Budsgunshop.com:
    Interstate Arms Black Synthetic 12 Ga Defender w/18.5" Barrel

Never heard of the brand before, but the reviews are excellent; one poster claims it's a Chinese knock-off of a Remmy 870. might be worth considering for only $200.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    I'm interested in an inexpensive 12g for HD, too. Was leaning Mossberg 500, but I recently stumbled upon this at Budsgunshop.com:

Never heard of the brand before, but the reviews are excellent; one poster claims it's a Chinese knock-off of a Remmy 870. might be worth considering for only $200.

You'd be better off getting a used 870/500 for that money.

gmhowell

Not Banned Yet
    Nov 28, 2011
    Monkey County

Because when you pick something you want to use to protect your life and the lives of your family, you always want to go with the lowest bidder.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom