• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Long1MD

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2013
    Too far gone
    Ebay. The username was deyegeye. He was selling a used one and a brand new one. The one I got was the brand new one with free shipping for $843. Not sure what the used one went for exactly. Will post pics when it comes in on Saturday if you like. If you really like I will post a pic of the invoice if I can get it to post on here...just for the too good to be true crowd..

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Shhh. Just don't tell anyone its metric;)

It is NOT metric.

It is decimal.

It is based on Radians. There are 2 Pi radians around the circumference of a circle. Or 6.28 radians or 6280 milliradians (mils)

If it were metric, there would be 1000 or 10,000 somethings around the circle.

Metric actually uses DEGREES, just like US/English system. And MOA is Minute of Angle, where 60 MOA = 1 degree.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I believe you, just wish I had found a deal like that when I bought mine.

And buying used Vortex is a no brainer, lifetime, transferable, no questions asked warranty.

seabeeJordan

CAN DO!
    Dec 13, 2012
    Sako makes a nice 338 but it's about double your budget. I would not get the 700 SPS not that there is anything wrong with them. But as of right now they only come in .223 and 308. You could try looking for a Remington 700 in 300 wm. I have a Savage 10BA if you decide to spend more that's a great gun right out of the box.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    For a 1000 yards, .300 Win Mag and .338 Lapua are WAY overkill.

If you want to get out to 1500 yards to a mile or more, THEN they make sense.

Also,the cost per shot for .308 is cheaper. .338 Lapua is stupidly expensive.

Bolts Rock

Living in Free America!
    Apr 8, 2012
    Northern Alabama
    For a 1000 yards, .300 Win Mag and .338 Lapua are WAY overkill.

If you want to get out to 1500 yards to a mile or more, THEN they make sense.

Also,the cost per shot for .308 is cheaper. .338 Lapua is stupidly expensive.

I hear the .338LM actually chambers $5 bills and magically converts them to bullets....:rolleyes:

Long1MD

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2013
    Too far gone
    Ok, after a mix up with FedEx, I picked up my new Vortex scope. Not being the guy that has ever invested in a scope to this level, I see it as quite the work of art! Of course Vortex recommends Vortex Precision Matched 30mm ring set to go with my new scope. Does anyone offer any good advice to the contrary? Vortex also recommends a 20 MOA canted picatinny rail OR 30 mm rings with adjustable offsets. Knowing that I will want to go from 100yds,to 300yds, to 600yds, etc, is it recommended to go with a lower MOA and the adjustable offsets? If so, any suggestion on brands? :)

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I would put a 20 MOA mount on. I used a Talley mount. I have about 15 mils of come up, out of a max range of a bit over 19 mils. My load needs 15.5 mils at 1200 yards, so I have to dial up the max, and hold over 0.5 mils.

As for rings, the Vortex rings are Seekins rings and TOP NOTCH. I used Burris XTR rings. Cheaper, but very good.

I also recommend picking up a scope level, I have the Vortex one. THE most important thing is to have your scope reticle level/vertical when you shoot.

lkenefic

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    The hardest kicking rifle I ever owned was a 300WM in a sporter weight deer rifle. The set-up weighed in at ~6.5 lbs with glass. If you're shooting a competition gun, you can easily add 4 lbs worth of barrel and stock to dampen the cartridge... it becomes pretty tame at this point.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    On what rifle?

On my 700 with factory heavy barrel, low rings worked fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom