• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hattrick

Mar 7, 2013
    Ive been a handgun guy for along time mostly single action and now that ive been shooting modern autos i tend to always be left a bit. At about 10-12yds i can keep about 6 shot 6" group which sucks from what im used too. Its always just left the by about 3"-4"s. Its the same no what auto i shoot. So im sure its me what am i doing wrong? Any advice is welcome

Hattrick

Mar 7, 2013
    I do shoot with both eyes open. Im kinda thinking of a trigger job. I believe im pulling it

guthook

Grrr.
    Apr 7, 2008
    St. Mary's
    Do you have a laser boresighter? Completely empty your firearm of live ammo, put in the boresighter, aim at a point on the wall and dry fire or use snap caps. Try to keep the dot as steady as possible. You should be able to tell at what stage of the trigger pull you are pushing the gun.

There are corrective, pie chart targets that will give you a basic idea of what's going on. They make them for right and left hand shooters.

More than likely, you've been spoiled by the fine triggers on most revolvers. I know I have been.:D

It's possible you're gripping it too hard (non-trigger fingers) during the trigger squeeze and pushing it left. Avoid using the finger-joint movie technique.:lol2: An easy way to correct that is to use the tip of your index finger-pad and slowly press the trigger straight back.

You'll be fine. Just takes a bit more practice than a revolver to get used to due to the fat, square grips on most models.:thumbsup:

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Ditto. Most likely cause is you are not squeezing the trigger back straight. A grip for a SA or DA revoler is not the best grip for a semiauto pistol. Follow the above directions for dryfiring the gun to see if you are either pulling it down or your grip is putting the incorrect pressure on the gun just prior to firing. Don't know where you are at but if you were in central MD I could likely fix the problem in 5 minutes or less. If you are anywhere near Frederick I will be shooting both matches at MPC this weekend. If you wanted to stop by around noon I could help you correct the issue right after either match.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Once again , eliminate an vision/ sight alignment problems. At that point probably an issue of finger placement on the trigger ,excabreated by issues of your hand fitting the grip. If your hand perfectly fits the grip , it will give you margin of error on finger placement. Alas despite the cirrent fad with interchangable backstraps , etc. Autos are much less customizable to the hand than revolvers.

Bigpops

Open Shooters Unite!!
    Sep 30, 2010
    SoMd.
    If I missed this step I apologize BUT - not all guns arrive with a final sight in. If your grouping well you may need to slide the sight a little. I know my Glocks always needed a little love tap.

If possible, try some long range stuff. Having a friend spot for you helps too. Shoot at 50 yards really focusing on trigger control, get that down and get your gun dialed in. Once you have that you will see your closer groups really tighten up. I do 10-20 rounds like this every practice session to make sure things are still good.

The rest of the above info is spot on. Good luck!

Steve

Hattrick

Mar 7, 2013
    Photoracer thanks for the offer but im not going to be around this weekend my daughter has volleyball.Alot this makes sense to me. Im going to sandbag my glock to check zero and focus on the trigger pull and see what happens. Thanks

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Is this with one gun or several different ones?

If one gun, try a second (rent if needed). It may be as simple as sight adjustment.

If multiple, my first guess is trigger. You are pushing the trigger to the left. It could be finger position on the trigger. Or it could be the trigger is too short for your hands/fingers.

Hattrick

Mar 7, 2013
    I'm off rt 97 right on the MD-PA line Silver Run Md . Yes its with different guns all glocks, i'm sure its something simple i've only ran about 80 rounds so far. No sense in feeding a bad habit. I've learned along time ago when praticing 10 perfect shots are far better than 100 bad ones.

virtus

Ultimate Member
    Aug 11, 2010
    I'm off rt 97 right on the MD-PA line Silver Run Md . Yes its with different guns all glocks, i'm sure its something simple i've only ran about 80 rounds so far. No sense in feeding a bad habit. I've learned along time ago when praticing 10 perfect shots are far better than 100 bad ones.

Make sure you are paying attention to the trigger reset. There is a lot of take up in a Glock trigger. That should be eliminated in each shot after the first in a string.

HumbleEinstein

May 31, 2012
    Falls Church, VA
    Use a square stance, feet slightly wider than your shoulder width. Curl your toes so you lean a little forward. Use a thumbs forward grip (YouTube it if not familiar). Do a lot of dry fire practice for more trigger control. There's nothing wrong with both eyes open. In fact, you should keep doing it. Do all these things and you'll shoot straight.

jonnyl

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    Frederick
    :sad20:Open your eyes...both of them. That'll help.

I do shoot with both eyes open. Im kinda thinking of a trigger job. I believe im pulling it

I say shut at least one eye. That'll help.

Have you tried shutting both?

to maybe add something actually useful, here's the chart mentioned above. It helped me when I thought I needed the following: site adjustment, trigger job, match barrel, etc.... :D

Good luck!

Pistol-shooting-chart.jpg

Erno86

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 27, 2012
    Marriottsville, Maryland
    Ive been a handgun guy for along time mostly single action and now that ive been shooting modern autos i tend to always be left a bit. At about 10-12yds i can keep about 6 shot 6" group which sucks from what im used too. Its always just left the by about 3"-4"s. Its the same no what auto i shoot. So im sure its me what am i doing wrong? Any advice is welcome

When you shoot the SA revolver, do you keep the little finger on your firing hand below the grips? Could be...your increasing little finger pressure on your firing hand, while you are pressing the trigger on the semi auto, thusly pivoting the pistol to the left.

I used 100% pressure on both hands, while treating the trigger finger as it's own entity. Your firing hand should be as high on the semi auto's grip as possible. You might have to shorten the trigger length if you have to little trigger finger on the trigger.

For the support hand...it should be cocked downwards at a 45 degree angle {helps control recoil}, so the thumb {do not leave the thumb resting on the slide or the slide release} is pointing towards the target, with your firing hand thumb resting on top of a 1911 safety.

Keep the wrists locked, with your elbows slightly unlocked, weight forward on the balls of your feet, inhale through nose, exhale through mouth, relax your shoulders and press the trigger straight back.

Hattrick

Mar 7, 2013
    This sounds crazy but i really not sure how i hold my SA i just grab it and go. I just no i was vary good shot out 50-60yds with it. I may get it out again to see how i do it. I will start paying more attention to my grip. I do no i grip my glock alot harder than my SA. You guys have been helpfull thxs

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom