• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • vandrv

Oct 8, 2013
    Harford County
    I recently took up shooting sporting clays using my Remington 870 Wingmaster.I really enjoyed myself although I was not very good. I would like to move up to either a semi auto or an O/U that is better suited to to this. I'm thinking an autoloader, due to the fact that I have had shoulder problems in the past. I am wondering what you guys would suggest. I would prefer a used gun and have been looking for a Beretta A391, but haven't had any luck finding one. Would I be just as well off buying a new Outlander? Thanks for any advice.
    Joe

Jibriel

Nov 7, 2012
    Howard County
    For under $1000 you could look at:

Beretta A300 Outlander (I own this, shoots just fine, no problems thus far [approx. 1 year])

Mossberg 930 (my next semi-auto 12ga. purchase. I'm planning on getting the combo model [#85238] because it comes with a slug barrel in addition to a 28 incher)

That's about as far as I'm gonna go suggestions-wise. I really don't know much about higher-end semis or anything about OUs.

Good luck!

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    Beretta A391 Urika. I've used one for about 10 years and it is a wonderful gun. I learned to shoot trap with an O/U, then an old A-5, then an 11-87. First time I picked up a 391 I busted 24/25, never did that good until that point.

I have shot sporting clays, trap, and skeet with mine and find it to be very versatile. A lot of people will poo-poo an automatic for such things but I find it to work very well.

vandrv

Oct 8, 2013
    Harford County
    Thanks for the advice. I have pretty much made up my mind that I would like to get myself a Beretta autoloader. I would love to find a used A391 but there isn't a lot of place up in my neck of the woods that carry used guns.
    Joe

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    Thanks for the advice. I have pretty much made up my mind that I would like to get myself a Beretta autoloader. I would love to find a used A391 but there isn't a lot of place up in my neck of the woods that carry used guns.
    Joe

Where is "your neck of the woods"?

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    I live in Harford County

Look at the A400's before you make a final decision on a 391.

I've owned both and shot well with both, just thinking it would be nice to have the latest and greatest if possible. :thumbsup:

vandrv

Oct 8, 2013
    Harford County
    Look at the A400's before you make a final decision on a 391.

I've owned both and shot well with both, just thinking it would be nice to have the latest and greatest if possible. :thumbsup:

I agree that it would be nice to own the latest and greatest, but I can't see myself shooting for any more than pleasure and at the moment the A400 is a little more money than I was hoping to spend.
    Joe

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I agree, keep shooting. And looking at the sale boards at the ranges. You see nice sporting clays guns being sold used.

Also talk to PG Trap and Skeet. Not sure what happens with their rental guns, but they do cycle them out.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    I live in Harford County

I, too, live in Hazzard County. Darlington specifically. There are plenty of places around here that sell used guns. Granted I have yet to see a 391 for sale used but, as the poster said, Gunbroker doesn't care where you live. In addition the 391 is a long gun so don't be afraid to flip into PA to search for one. Supposedly there is a great shop near Brogue but I have yet to go to it.

If you find one online Banks Gun and Pawn in HdG is a decent shop to have it transferred through. The ladies there were obviously stressed leading up to 10/1 but I'm sure the atmosphere has changed now.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    How do you compare the two? I have never shot an A400

Action of the A400 is quicker, quieter and smoother. I have owned both the 391 Teknys and the A400 Excel (Sporting). The A400 may have felt a little softer to me also, but it's close for sure.

Beretta hasn't always been the best fit out of the box for me. I shot okay with both, but needed more drop at comb and probably some cast too.

Redcobra

Senior Shooter
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 10, 2010
    Near the Chesapeake Bay
    Beretta A391 Urika. I've used one for about 10 years and it is a wonderful gun. I learned to shoot trap with an O/U, then an old A-5, then an 11-87. First time I picked up a 391 I busted 24/25, never did that good until that point.

I have shot sporting clays, trap, and skeet with mine and find it to be very versatile. A lot of people will poo-poo an automatic for such things but I find it to work very well.

Yep. A A391 Urika 2 if possible. One with the parallel comb. Check shotgunworld.com and trapshooters.com for used ones. I have bought from both these websites and you will find the guys( and gals) there are honest and accurate in their descriptions. Ship to your FFL with a 3 day inspection period (non shooting).

Not to start a fight, but if you intend to shoot a lot stay away from Stoeger.

Redcobra

Senior Shooter
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 10, 2010
    Near the Chesapeake Bay
    I agree, keep shooting. And looking at the sale boards at the ranges. You see nice sporting clays guns being sold used.

Also talk to PG Trap and Skeet. Not sure what happens with their rental guns, but they do cycle them out.

Loch Raven is replacing their Beretta rental autos with Beretta O/Us. The 391's are going to be sold off. Don't know how soon or the price yet, but....

In case you are wondering why we are switching, it's because of staff time for maintenance. With nearly 15 rental guns, it's almost a full time job keeping them clean. O/Us take a lot less time. However, note that the Beretta 391s have been in service for years and get shot by multiple people nearly every day. They take a lickin and keep on tickin (as long as you keep them clean).

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Yep. A A391 Urika 2 if possible. One with the parallel comb. Check shotgunworld.com and trapshooters.com for used ones. I have bought from both these websites and you will find the guys( and gals) there are honest and accurate in their descriptions. Ship to your FFL with a 3 day inspection period (non shooting).

Not to start a fight, but if you intend to shoot a lot stay away from Stoeger.

The OP is buying the gun mainly for sporting clays it appears. The parallel comb is good for trap, not that good for much else other than that.

OP, I have been using the Beretta 391 Teknys since about 2001, maybe 2002. I really, really like the gun and my Beretta 682 o/u has been collecting a lot of dust since I bought the 391. Actually bought two of them. One in 12 gauge and another in 20 gauge.

Right now, I am seeing several of them used on gunbroker.com for around $1,000. You might want to check in with Prince George's County Trap & Skeet. They use Berettas as their rental guns and might be getting rid of some at some point. See if you can figure out when that will be.

The thing I really like about the Berettas and Benellis is that stock drop can be adjusted pretty easily just with some shims.

River Hill

Dec 15, 2012
    Maryland
    I have owned both the 391 and currently own the A400 Xplor with Kick-Off. Both guns are very nice, but the A400 is a much nicer gun. The recoil system and ease of cleaning is far superior. I am actually getting ready to sell my A400 as I want to purchase the A400 Xtreme for waterfowl hunting. I really don't want to take the Xplor in the swamp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom