• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RFBfromDE

W&C MD, UT, PA
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 21, 2022
    The Land of Pleasant Living
    If I pay attention I can hit an 8" plate at 100 yards with my Ruger Competition 6-7/8" barrel. You here "Pop!.........ping!". It's pretty wild how slowly the bullet flies.

At 300 you can watch the bullet in the scope, see the impact and count to two before you hear the impact.
    I was about to say that the sound is probably slower than the bullet. Faster by the time the bullet gets there.

F-Stop

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2009
    Cecil County
    At 300 you can watch the bullet in the scope, see the impact and count to two before you hear the impact.

So fun. At 300 I like to get three in the air and listen to them hit the gong. With SV I think it was like 11’ drop. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tdt91

I will miss you my friend
    Apr 24, 2009
    Abingdon
    My CZ shoot CCI SV great. At the range one day this dude was shooting the 200 with his .22LR. So once I figured out my hold over it was one after other, ping, ping ping.
    Now 300 may not be possible using a hold over but if I were to site it in at that range it would be cool to see how it/I shoots.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Mayberry. I have also done it at Mifflin.

I'm in the process of building my second. I also have a Vudoo cert if interested
    Vudoos are sweet shooters but I will be using two different barrels and I'm already tooled to work on Zermatt stuff. The gun will be going in a whiskey 3. The b14 I have runs fine in it with no custom work, just a slight forend slide (which the whiskey 3 is designed to do) but I've seen enough BS from the vudoo mags in chassis that I am wary. If I was going with a stock and had no intention of changing barrels out, I'd have already bought your cert. The price is right (free plug! Swaim is good people and the vudoo is posted in the classifieds).

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    Mayberry. I have also done it at Mifflin.

I'm in the process of building my second. I also have a Vudoo cert if interested
    Do you have a drop chart for 400-600 yards? I can’t find anything reliable and ballistic apps don’t seem to do the best job calculating it, unless there is one that’s better than what I’ve tried.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Do you have a drop chart for 400-600 yards? I can’t find anything reliable and ballistic apps don’t seem to do the best job calculating it, unless there is one that’s better than what I’ve tried.
    Applied ballistics. Normally, we would true velocity to correct to observed trajectory. Many people have found that adjusting BC value works as well or better for the rimfire stuff. I *Normally* don't suggest this course of action but the long range rimfire stuff is an exception.

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    I think next trip I’ll get some good numbers for the 200-300 drop and calculate from there for velocity and see where that gets me at 400.

Swaim13

Jun 11, 2017

I made one below, but mine likely won't work for you as I have a lot of oddities with my base data. I am running a long barrel and kind of fast (1130 fps) with Eley match. I am using custom bc curves from Applied Ballistics so I just have to adjust the velocity. I am also zeroed at 57 yards and not 50.

Your best bet is to get trued at 200 and 300 and then try 400. Try the custom bc curves in strelok pro and in the kestrel and adjust the velocity. A lot of people set up a second profile in their calculators for the long range stuff. I think they break it at 200 or 300 yards. The issue is at that distance you are losing so much velocity and your round is like throwing a brick BC wise so that is why it gets finicky. You also need to account for spin drift at those distances.

To give you an idea, here is my dope in mils out to 400 on a 65 degree day:
    100 - 1.5
    200 - 6.3
    300 - 12.4
    400 - 20.5

Good luck and have fun!

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    I made one below, but mine likely won't work for you as I have a lot of oddities with my base data. I am running a long barrel and kind of fast (1130 fps) with Eley match. I am using custom bc curves from Applied Ballistics so I just have to adjust the velocity. I am also zeroed at 57 yards and not 50.

Your best bet is to get trued at 200 and 300 and then try 400. Try the custom bc curves in strelok pro and in the kestrel and adjust the velocity. A lot of people set up a second profile in their calculators for the long range stuff. I think they break it at 200 or 300 yards. The issue is at that distance you are losing so much velocity and your round is like throwing a brick BC wise so that is why it gets finicky. You also need to account for spin drift at those distances.

To give you an idea, here is my dope in mils out to 400 on a 65 degree day:
    100 - 1.5
    200 - 6.3
    300 - 12.4
    400 - 20.5

Good luck and have fun!
    Thanks, I’ll give that a try and see where it gets me.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    I think next trip I’ll get some good numbers for the 200-300 drop and calculate from there for velocity and see where that gets me at 400.
    For me I found it very hard to get a consistent calculation to dial up from. I ended up making a dope chart based off of the ammo I was using and where I was getting hits. I think a ballistic app for a .22 might get you close though. I compared my istrelok comp chart compared to my dope and it was close but would have gotten misses based on the arc of the .22.

Have you tried Eley Biathlon? It has been the most consistent for me. The last brick I had Avg: 1129 fps and SD: 4.1 the other lot was Avg: 1121 fps and SD: 2.8. Tenex and X-act were the next most consistent for both my CZ 455 and 10/22.

Sadly iStrelok is no longer available. I really like that app.

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    For me I found it very hard to get a consistent calculation to dial up from. I ended up making a dope chart based off of the ammo I was using and where I was getting hits. I think a ballistic app for a .22 might get you close though. I compared my istrelok comp chart compared to my dope and it was close but would have gotten misses based on the arc of the .22.

Have you tried Eley Biathlon? It has been the most consistent for me. The last brick I had Avg: 1129 fps and SD: 4.1 the other lot was Avg: 1121 fps and SD: 2.8. Tenex and X-act were the next most consistent for both my CZ 455 and 10/22.

Sadly iStrelok is no longer available. I really like that app.
    If you have a Samsung tablet you can still get Strelok on the Samsung App Store.
    For now I’ve been focusing on the match ammo that is giving me the best groups at 100 and that I have a good supply of. My next trip I’ll be using Eley match.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    If you have a Samsung tablet you can still get Strelok on the Samsung App Store.
    For now I’ve been focusing on the match ammo that is giving me the best groups at 100 and that I have a good supply of. My next trip I’ll be using Eley match.
    Yeah Apple doesn't support them anymore for some reason. If you get a chance pick up some Eley Biathlon. I did a whole thing were I bought a bunch of different boxes of ammo. I zeroed with CCI green tag, then shot 5 shot groups with each ammo over the chrono. I was looking for consistency and group size, along with the SD. I did not get to try any Eley match. Tenex out of my CZ was all over the place not sure what was going on there. I did a couple of the Mayberry matches out to 300 it was fun.

I tried,
    Fed HV Match
    Biathlon
    Edge
    Force
    Rem target
    Eley Target
    Xact
    Tenex
    Midas
    Center X
    Standard Plus
    RWS

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    Yeah Apple doesn't support them anymore for some reason. If you get a chance pick up some Eley Biathlon. I did a whole thing were I bought a bunch of different boxes of ammo. I zeroed with CCI green tag, then shot 5 shot groups with each ammo over the chrono. I was looking for consistency and group size, along with the SD. I did not get to try any Eley match. Tenex out of my CZ was all over the place not sure what was going on there. I did a couple of the Mayberry matches out to 300 it was fun.

I tried,
    Fed HV Match
    Biathlon
    Edge
    Force
    Rem target
    Eley Target
    Xact
    Tenex
    Midas
    Center X
    Standard Plus
    RWS
    I’ve got a similar looking stack of flavors. None of the Lapua impressed me much, but it does shoot pretty well in my 10/22. For whatever reason it just prefers the Eley stuff. The one that shot the smallest group at 100 was Federal gold medal match, but I don’t think they even make it anymore. Also the SD wasn’t great with it.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    There are about a dozen variations of Tenex and about 6 versions of RWS. Just to make things interesting my target .22 likes an old variant of Aguila subsonic hollow point that cost less than half as much as any "target" ammo, but isn't made any more. That brick and a half of that that I still have is worth gold to me. If anyone found a brick of it I'd gladly trade any new .22 target ammo for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom