• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • johnhmpg

Mar 14, 2011
    Has anyone bought one of their 556 uppers and if so how do you like it? I seem to find a lot of internet info regarding their conversion kits but not enough about the complete uppers.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Unless you want an AR thats MORE problematic, stay away from all Gas Piston AR Conversions, Uppers, and Complete Rifles.

Its just snake oil and marketing.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Unless you want an AR thats MORE problematic, stay away from all Gas Piston AR Conversions, Uppers, and Complete Rifles.

Its just snake oil and marketing.

He speaks truth, I went off and did the 'Piston Experiment', complete upper, no conversion. While it does work reliably now, I wouldn't suggest spending more money if you already have a tried/true working d.i. upper.

If you want piston operated, buy an AK, Piston AR's aren't quite there yet.

johnhmpg

Mar 14, 2011
    So it seems the consensus here so far is no for any piston AR? It seems the LWRC as well as the Sig 516 seem to get rave reviews. Is it an inferior product to the DI system or just not that different to justify any additional costs? At $600 for a complete AA piston upper I was interested.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    So it seems the consensus here so far is no for any piston AR? It seems the LWRC as well as the Sig 516 seem to get rave reviews. Is it an inferior product to the DI system or just not that different to justify any additional costs? At $600 for a complete AA piston upper I was interested.

The SIG is a copy of the HK Piston AR. And it has breakage issues.

The LWRC is the only Piston AR I would recomend to someone dead set on a Piston AR. You gain no advantage with a Piston AR, and when it breaks something in the gas system or Bolt Group you have one source for parts (The Manufacturer).

Break a D.I. AR and theres thousands of places to locate parts.

Your money, your call.

You couldnt pay me to own ANY Gas Piston AR.

johnhmpg

Mar 14, 2011

The LWRC is the only Piston AR I would recomend to someone dead set on a Piston AR. You gain no advantage with a Piston AR, and when it breaks something in the gas system or Bolt Group you have one source for parts (The Manufacturer).

Your money, your call.

Thanks. The proprietary parts replacement thing hadn't really crossed my mind. So now it's off in search of a DI upper I like.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008

Your money, your call.

However, I'd be glad to be paid to own a gas piston ar....especially the lwrc. I you don't feel like paying me, you can just give me the guns and i'll own/shoot them for free. I'm flexible.

This 5.45x39 adams arms gun got a pretty impressive writeup from swat magazine...
    http://digital.swatmag.com/SWAT/2011/SWAT1106/?Page=72

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    I own and have ran a POF piston upper for almost two years now with no issues (considering all I do is punch paper and knock down steel) at a leisurely rate. It has about 3K round through it over two years and no issues/breakage yet (knocks on wood).

I would like thoughts on the POF just for grins and giggles.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I got a Stag Model 8 (Piston), my only issue with it was it didn't run one type of ammo reliably, that problem has since been rectified. Outside of that I don't really have any bad thing to say about this Brand and Model specifically.

I just wouldn't recommend a piston to someone just yet, there's still some evolving to do and preferably a standardized piston set-up to make them as prolific as a d.i. set-up.

I have 6500+ thru my d.i. upper with no hiccups, aside from bad ammo, and just around 26-2800 thru the piston with the only real problem being that 1 brand of ammo I previously mentioned.

But it's your money, do as you wish, and enjoy.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    However, I'd be glad to be paid to own a gas piston ar....especially the lwrc. I you don't feel like paying me, you can just give me the guns and i'll own/shoot them for free. I'm flexible.

This 5.45x39 adams arms gun got a pretty impressive writeup from swat magazine...
    http://digital.swatmag.com/SWAT/2011/SWAT1106/?Page=72

Here is the question, was there any advertising money exchanged between Adams Arms and the magazine?

I didn't read the article you linked to, but how many rounds did the reviewer shoot? How long did he have the gun?

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Here is the question, was there any advertising money exchanged between Adams Arms and the magazine?

I didn't read the article you linked to, but how many rounds did the reviewer shoot? How long did he have the gun?

I RARELY recall any mainstream gun magazine reporting NAYTHING negative about a gun they review.

Hopalong

Man of Many Nicknames
    Jun 28, 2010
    Howard County
    I RARELY recall any mainstream gun magazine reporting NAYTHING negative about a gun they review.

Many paid publications, not just gun-related ones, are just glorified advertisements these days. If you want a real opinion, go to someone who is not getting compensated for the review and has no stake in the success/failure of the item at hand.

While I have no personal experience with piston ARs, I'm opposed to them on general principle. If it ain't broke, don't fix it and all that jazz. If anyone ever got all of the kinks worked out and standardized the design, I might consider it an option because then it would be an entirely new rifle, not a modification.

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    What about the Hk MMR? Hk claims it's the most reliable AR platform available; and one bit Osama on the butt.

I almost bought a POF upper a while back, however during the process of ordering it I found their customer service person so arogant and obnoxious that I ended up hanging up while on hold. Their uppers were only about $1k back then....

Lex Armarum

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2009
    Don't go Sig516, go Sig556. It is a cross between an AR and an AK so it works as a piston operated firearm. My functions flawlessly.

johnhmpg

Mar 14, 2011
    So I pulled the trigger on the Adams Arms piston upper. I will post pictures and range results when it get it in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom