• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Elaos

Jan 16, 2017
    Hi there, active duty stationed in MD.
    I've been interested in buying an M1A for some time and that time is coming up however looking into the MD gun laws it looks like I'm in for some disappointment.

Am I truly SOL regarding this particular weapon, regardless of variant or are there any exceptions for those that are from out of state but stationed in MD?
    Would it be out of the question to purchase an M1A out of state and also store it out of state? If I were to go this route would it be illegal to pass through Maryland from one state (Virginia) to another (Pennsylvania)?

If I am screwed here are there any other semi-auto .308s that are legal here that I might also like?

Apologies if this thread is misplaced.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    I've been interested in buying an M1A for some time and that time is coming up however looking into the MD gun laws it looks like I'm in for some disappointment.

Am I truly SOL regarding this particular weapon, regardless of variant or are there any exceptions for those that are from out of state but stationed in MD?
    Would it be out of the question to purchase an M1A out of state and also store it out of state? If I were to go this route would it be illegal to pass through Maryland from one state (Virginia) to another (Pennsylvania)?

If I am screwed here are there any other semi-auto .308s that are legal here that I might also like?

FOPA protects you while transporting from a state where you may legally possess to a destination state where you may legally possess.

(Except maybe DC and NJ; just kidding about NJ, sorta kinda)

5.56blaster

Ultimate Member
    AR-10's and a few others. You could buy an M1-A in your state of residence if it's legal but I do not believe you could bring it here. As far as I know the Polytech, from China is good to go. Do yourself a favor and put in for orders to a FREE state ASAP!

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Is there anything stopping a Md resident from making a registered M1a sbr from a bare receiver ?

Yep, it's called building a banned firearm and frowned upon by state and federal law.

Elaos

Jan 16, 2017
    FOPA protects you while transporting from a state where you may legally possess to a destination state where you may legally possess.

(Except maybe DC and NJ; just kidding about NJ, sorta kinda)

Good to know. So that adds one way around this.

AR-10's and a few others. You could buy an M1-A in your state of residence if it's legal but I do not believe you could bring it here. As far as I know the Polytech, from China is good to go. Do yourself a favor and put in for orders to a FREE state ASAP!

I'm considering the AR-10 but I'd rather not if I don't have to.
    I've looked at Polytech and Norinco but I've heard mixed things. Haven't done too much personal research beyond that.
    I find it insane that non-Springfield M1As appear to be accepted with no real explanation. I just want to know what crime this ban is prohibiting with some of these rifles.

Trust me, when I leave here I'm never coming back. Thanks for the info guys.

Texas

Villiage Idiot
    Nov 16, 2016
    Accokeek

I've looked at Polytech and Norinco but I've heard mixed things. Haven't done too much personal research beyond that.
    I find it insane that non-Springfield M1As appear to be accepted with no real explanation. I just want to know what crime this ban is prohibiting with some of these rifles.

I just moved here too. I am just as confused.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    So explain ak47 sbrs and the others .

AK SBR's are hard to do legally unless it is a pre-ban rifle, AK pistols do not meet the definition of a rifle and thus not a copy.

Want to bald an M1A SBR, use a pre-ban rifle and keep it over 29", want to build an M1A pistol, feel free to, want to build a M1A rifle, use a pre-ban receiver.

Same rules as for an AR-15, apply to the M1A and any other rifle on the (now) banned list)

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011

There is an explanation, non of the internal parts are interchangeable with a Springfield or any current copy of a Springfield and thus, is not a copy, and thus is not banned.

Gskwared

Supreme Being
    Feb 4, 2013
    Carroll County
    AK SBR's are hard to do legally unless it is a pre-ban rifle, AK pistols do not meet the definition of a rifle and thus not a copy.

Want to bald an M1A SBR, use a pre-ban rifle and keep it over 29", want to build an M1A pistol, feel free to, want to build a M1A rifle, use a pre-ban receiver.

Same rules as for an AR-15, apply to the M1A and any other rifle on the (now) banned list)

So all someone needs to do is offer a m1a pistol, get it on the roster and then it could be build into a sbr. Same Logic used with AK47s

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    And as active duty military, yes, you can purchase it in any state that will permit you to, and store it out of state. But, you cannot bring it into MD to enjoy it while you are stationed here.

Texas

Villiage Idiot
    Nov 16, 2016
    Accokeek
    And as active duty military, yes, you can purchase it in any state that will permit you to, and store it out of state. But, you cannot bring it into MD to enjoy it while you are stationed here.

I sold a lot of "banned" guns before I moved back here. My heart and wallet still hurt.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    M1A's suck. Buy an AR-10 or a SCAR. You can also purchase an AK style rifle in .308 such as the VEPR.

Elaos

Jan 16, 2017
    M1A's suck. Buy an AR-10 or a SCAR. You can also purchase an AK style rifle in .308 such as the VEPR.

I've never fired a SCAR and they're a lot pricier at a glance. Not sure I want to dump that much money into the pot just to avoid a ban.

I enjoy the M1A platform and would like to own one as a result. Ar-10 is the other route, sure, but that's now what I'd like but looks like what I may do.

There is an explanation, non of the internal parts are interchangeable with a Springfield or any current copy of a Springfield and thus, is not a copy, and thus is not banned.

From a legal standing, it makes sense. But they have a list that names specific weapons. The list on the website lists Norinco and Polytech as "NOT BANNED" which means they're surely aware of these rifles. Common sense would say "ban the obvious Chinese copies" as well.

I just moved here too. I am just as confused.

Hey there! I'm also from Texas. It's a completely different world here.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Stop expecting logic. Seriously, no joke, there is no logic involved . Trying to squeeze logic from Md firearms laws will just give you a headache.

Presuming you are wishing to have this in Md (as opposed to storing in hime state for the duration) , you have two choices :

1. Suspend disbelief over the mixed reviews if the Norinco/ Polytech. If it ends up needing major work, that's just the price to pay fot living in the PRM.

2. Go with a different platform. If you can make the mental leap regarding the appearance, AR-10 have matured to where reliability is a given, and excellent accuracy is possible.

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    I think it needs to be on the handgun roster because Maryland is dumb.:mad54:

No it doesn't.

The handgun roster only applies to the buying and selling of handguns. You can make your own handguns as much as you want and they are not required to be on the roster.

good guy 176

R.I.P.
    Dec 9, 2009
    Laurel, MD

If your home of record is outside Merryland, you can own a M1A. Send me a mail and I'll go over some details with you. The M1A is one rifle that mistakingly got included on Md's shit list and it's a ban doesn't make any sense. No reason why you can't have one and enjoy shooting it.

I toted the M14 in Ranger school and had them in my first unit in Korea in '64. Great weapon and much preferred over the lightweight POS M16 they issued to the troops in the 60s. Got a hell of a lot of good men killed in Vietnam with that one till they got things figured out.

Lew--Ranger63
    US Army (Ret-'84)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Noha

Latest threads

Top Bottom