Action Shooting, Sig P226 9mm or Glock 40 cal?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • justeric

Apr 6, 2010
    My richer brother has 2 Sig 226's. One is chambered in 9mm and the other is chambered in 22LR. He told me I can use the 22LR as long as I want and that I could get a X-Change upper in 9mm for it. The P226 22LR is built on the same frame as the 9mm and when you switch out the slide and barrel in less than 30 seconds, your 22LR turns into a standard Sig P226 9mm.

I have a Glock Chambered in 40 cal that used to be a police gun. I have never really been able to shoot the gun very well. I can shoot the P226 better than the Glock when I'm shooting slowly at paper in a very static way. I don't know if the P226 has any draw backs in action shooting that would make the Glock a better choice.

One benefit of using the P226 is that I can practice with 22lr using the same pistol that I would use in the matches shooting 9mm.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
    Eric

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Depends what you like. I have the same Sig set-up (though the 22 classic frames are a tad looser than the dedicated guns) and its a favorite and has a hammer and decent trigger pull.

The Glock........people seem to love them, mine is meh but I never liked striker guns.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Depends on the class you plan to shoot (USPSA as example). For Production 9mm is what most shoot as the advantage is in mag capacity. In Limited the power factor comes into play as all guns with bullets smaller than .40 have to shoot minor power factor, so most choose a .40 for the higher scoring hits, because the mag has more capacity than a .45.
    In 3-gun below Open everybody uses 9mm because the power factor no longer counts and again mag capacity is what counts.
    In IDPA it is different. Shoot whatever class your handgun fits in and is eligible for.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    The problem with the Sig in competition is the first shot is double action, whereas the Glock has a consistent trigger no matter which round is fired. Personally, I can't stand Glocks, I had a 35 for competition but I couldn't do well with it. It had more to do with the grip than anything else. I suspect if I had it modified I would probably do better with it but I ended up picking up a ParaOrdnance P16-40 which I shoot very well.

Braddbdl

Fed up Libertarian
    Mar 30, 2010
    Oviedo, FL
    I'm going to assume that you want to shoot Production USPSA or SSP IDPA. With that being said, neither gun will be ideal. You will want to shoot 9mm to be competitive, as 40 will slow you down. Mag capacity doesn't matter, as you will be limited to 10+1 anyway. Ideally, you would have a long slide/barreled, striker fired, modern polymer pistol, chambered in 9mm. Some pro's and con's below:

Sig:

• Heavier (slower to move between targets, could also be a positive for reducing muzzle rise but with minor PF loads this is nominal anyway)
    • DA/SA (inconsistent trigger pull between first and subsequent shots, first shot will also be slower coming off a DA)
    • High bore axis (greater muzzle rise, harder to "drive" the gun quickly)
    • External safety (It's just in the way)
    • Sexy (You will look good though)
    • 9mm (Faster follow up shots over the 40)

G40:

• 40cal (slower follow up shots)
    • Ugly (no style points)
    • It would be better if it was a 9 or even better, an M&P9...:D

I would say, go with the one you shoot best.

Mickey the Dragon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 19, 2009
    Ohio
    I'm going to assume that you want to shoot Production USPSA or SSP IDPA. With that being said, neither gun will be ideal. You will want to shoot 9mm to be competitive, as 40 will slow you down. Mag capacity doesn't matter, as you will be limited to 10+1 anyway. Ideally, you would have a long slide/barreled, striker fired, modern polymer pistol, chambered in 9mm. Some pro's and con's below:

Sig:

• Heavier (slower to move between targets, could also be a positive for reducing muzzle rise but with minor PF loads this is nominal anyway)
    • DA/SA (inconsistent trigger pull between first and subsequent shots, first shot will also be slower coming off a DA)
    • High bore axis (greater muzzle rise, harder to "drive" the gun quickly)
    • External safety (It's just in the way)
    • Sexy (You will look good though)
    • 9mm (Faster follow up shots over the 40)

G40:

• 40cal (slower follow up shots)
    • Ugly (no style points)
    • It would be better if it was a 9 or even better, an M&P9...:D

I would say, go with the one you shoot best.

Sig's don't have an external safety, just a decocking lever.

Other than that, I would agree to go with whichever pistol you shoot the best.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Sig's don't have an external safety, just a decocking lever.

Other than that, I would agree to go with whichever pistol you shoot the best.

I used to want a Sig p220, but I got disenchanted with the decocker when I had my S&W 1076. I do want that 1076 back, though.

Anyway, if you decide to purchase a different pistol in say 9mm, try a CZ-75. It has a safety that works like a 1911's or a decocker. The grip is thinner than the Glock's, which may help your shooting.

justeric

Apr 6, 2010
    Would the decocker get in the way while competing?

I'm not sure what type of action shooting I would be doing. I'm pretty much interested in all the different competitions. I am building an AR when my Rock River R3 upper comes in. I was planning on trying 3 gun competitions with it. I'm not striving to be a competitive shooter. I just want to learn how to use a gun in action scenarios and then have fun practicing in competitions.

Thanks for all your responses,
    Eric

Mickey the Dragon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 19, 2009
    Ohio
    Would the decocker get in the way while competing?

I'm not sure what type of action shooting I would be doing. I'm pretty much interested in all the different competitions. I am building an AR when my Rock River R3 upper comes in. I was planning on trying 3 gun competitions with it. I'm not striving to be a competitive shooter. I just want to learn how to use a gun in action scenarios and then have fun practicing in competitions.

Thanks for all your responses,
    Eric

I would say no. The decocking lever just sits in front of the grips along the left side of the weapon. You won't notice it while drawing, firing, or reloading the weapon, only when you're done engaging targets with the handgun and have decided to drop the hammer (safely) before re-holstering.

800px-SIG_P226_IMG_3053-labels.jpg

The decocking lever is number 5 in this picture.

Chasbo00

Jun 30, 2012
    Northern VA
    I'm fond of Sigs, but you will see very few used in action pistol competition. Below are links from IDPA's 2011 and 2012 annual equipment survey they do at the national matchs. Glocks dominate with about 67% and Sigs are less than 1%.

http://www.idpa.com/blog/post/2012/04/20/Glock-and-SW-Make-Up-67-of-IDPA-World-Shoot-Guns.aspx

http://www.aafgidpa.com/admin/equpment_survey.htm

As has been mentioned in this thread previously, if you are shooting stock or production class guns, anything above 9mm is a disadvantage due to higher recoil. However, if you reload, you can load .40 S&W to 9mm power and some think this is actually an advantage due to the larger bullet diameter.

You can use a .22 conversion to develop and practice several action pistol shooting skills, but recoil control and shooting fast are not among them - .22 recoil is just too light. Effective recoil control is critical to shooting both fast and accurately, and shooting both fast and accurately are what action pistol shooting is all about. Practicing such things as the draw to first shot and target transitions are fine with a .22 and so are most drills that do not require multiple shots on a single target.

aaron.foulk

Feb 16, 2013
    Eric,
    One more thing to consider. There is an Intro to Action Pistol class out at Peacemaker in Gerrardstown, WV on November 3. Link is below. Sign up for the class, get classroom guidance on USPSA and IDPA rules and get your first match under your belt under classroom conditions. Form your own opinions with a little experience.

http://peacemakernational.com/events?l=viewEvent&eventID=163

One reason to lean away from decocker guns in action pistol matches is that if you forget to decock them prior to holstering before you begin a stage, you'll be DQ'd (and possibly injure yourself). I prefer the simpler manual of arms for the Glock (and other similar polymer framed guns).

I say shoot what you've got and get started. The class is a good way to do that.

justeric

Apr 6, 2010
    Eric,
    One more thing to consider. There is an Intro to Action Pistol class out at Peacemaker in Gerrardstown, WV on November 3. Link is below. Sign up for the class, get classroom guidance on USPSA and IDPA rules and get your first match under your belt under classroom conditions. Form your own opinions with a little experience.

http://peacemakernational.com/events?l=viewEvent&eventID=163

One reason to lean away from decocker guns in action pistol matches is that if you forget to decock them prior to holstering before you begin a stage, you'll be DQ'd (and possibly injure yourself). I prefer the simpler manual of arms for the Glock (and other similar polymer framed guns).

I say shoot what you've got and get started. The class is a good way to do that.

Yes, I was going to sign up for the Intro to Action Pistol course. I'm also going to take the Intro to 3 gun course. I would take the Intro to Defensive Handgun but I'm going to be taking part in the Tactical Rifle match the day it's given. I'll just catch it the next time it comes up.

Do you know if the Glock 34's are very hard to get? Is there a used market for Glock 34's? Anything to watch out for when buying a used Glock 34?

Thanks!
    Eric

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    The reality is, if you are just starting out, it makes little difference what you shoot. Just go out and SHOOT.

Later you can figure out what works best for YOU and what form of shooting you prefer.

Tactics

Ultimate Member
    Jan 15, 2010
    Happy to be Here
    The reality is, if you are just starting out, it makes little difference what you shoot. Just go out and SHOOT.

Later you can figure out what works best for YOU and what form of shooting you prefer.

This. Don't worry about gear, just worry about getting your hits. Come out and shoot once, you will be addicted.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland

This..

I started last year with xdm.. then SIG 226 in idpa.. classified on both as marksman..SSP and esp.

Now shooting g34. But I do go back to xdm or SIG once awhile

justeric

Apr 6, 2010

Currently I have a Rugger Mk 3 which I can group very well even shooting fast. I also have a Glock 22 (40 cal) that I can't group well at all. My Glock seems to shoot low left. I suspect I'm doing my part to make the Glock shoot low left. For a few hundred more dollars I can get a Sig P226 by buying an X-Change upper slide kit. I don't know if I will shoot any better with the Sig but I suspect I can't shoot much worse than I do with my Glock. I also see that most Action shooters use 9mm Glocks and I figure there is probably a reason for that. So my options are, sell my Glock 22 and use the money towards a Glock 34 or use the money towards getting a Sig 226 going in 9mm. Either way, I suspect I will be getting rid of my Glock 22 in favor of another gun, I think can shoot better. My thought is to get a handgun that can be used for action sports since that seems to be a great way to practice shooting.

I haven't been shooting much lately but I have probably shot 5k+ rounds out of my Rugger MK3 (mostly at paper). I haven't shot my Glock 22 much since its expensive to feed and not much fun since I can't shoot it very well. But yes, I agree I could give my Glock 22 a better chance before giving it up for a Sig 226 or a Glock 34 (defacto action shooting gun).

Thanks,
    Eric

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Currently I have a Rugger Mk 3 which I can group very well even shooting fast. I also have a Glock 22 (40 cal) that I can't group well at all. My Glock seems to shoot low left. I suspect I'm doing my part to make the Glock shoot low left. For a few hundred more dollars I can get a Sig P226 by buying an X-Change upper slide kit. I don't know if I will shoot any better with the Sig but I suspect I can't shoot much worse than I do with my Glock. I also see that most Action shooters use 9mm Glocks and I figure there is probably a reason for that. So my options are, sell my Glock 22 and use the money towards a Glock 34 or use the money towards getting a Sig 226 going in 9mm. Either way, I suspect I will be getting rid of my Glock 22 in favor of another gun, I think can shoot better. My thought is to get a handgun that can be used for action sports since that seems to be a great way to practice shooting.

I haven't been shooting much lately but I have probably shot 5k+ rounds out of my Rugger MK3 (mostly at paper). I haven't shot my Glock 22 much since its expensive to feed and not much fun since I can't shoot it very well. But yes, I agree I could give my Glock 22 a better chance before giving it up for a Sig 226 or a Glock 34 (defacto action shooting gun).

Thanks,
    Eric

There are rimfire matches also. You may want to try those also. Just to get your feet wet on timed shooting.

justeric

Apr 6, 2010
    There are rimfire matches also. You may want to try those also. Just to get your feet wet on timed shooting.

Yes, I have shot in a number of the Monocy Pistol club rim fire matches. They are a bunch of fun. I didn't see any rimfire matches at Peacemakers. It would be great if they had the same action shooting matches with rimfire. Three gun with rimfire would be a bunch of fun. Not sure what you do for the shotgun targets though.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Yes, I have shot in a number of the Monocy Pistol club rim fire matches. They are a bunch of fun. I didn't see any rimfire matches at Peacemakers. It would be great if they had the same action shooting matches with rimfire. Three gun with rimfire would be a bunch of fun. Not sure what you do for the shotgun targets though.

You can if allowed.. to shoot idpa in 22lr . You just have to ask for permission and tell the match director that you are not shooting for score.

mtnwisdom

Sep 9, 2012
    Sparrows Point
    For IDPA, I really like G34 over my other firearms.
    -longer sight radius
    -more performance 'drop in' parts available
    -striker fired
    -dbl stack mag is easier to index
    -polymer frame eats some recoil

IMHO...

And, as others have stated, just go shoot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom