• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dwhaley

Oct 20, 2008
    Two-pronged post;

I would like to pick up an optic for my AR. (LWRC M6 Base Model)

I have decided on the Trijicon ACOG TA33G-H.

I can get it for roughly $800 plus shipping from Botach; or I can pay just under a grand shipped from LaRue with their QD mount.

1) Is the LaRue mount worth the extra coin?

At this point in time, I don't have a red-dot or other optic, so I wouldn't need to hot-swap it; (I'm a civilian, who among us is REALLY going to need to swap optics like that) but I'm given to understand that LaRue is really the best when it comes to removing an optic and retaining zero.

2) Any comments on the scope in general?

I have decided on the TA33 G-H as 3x magnification seems sufficient for a .223/5.56mm AR.

I like the horseshoe reticle, and I think the green will show up the best under all lighting conditions, and apparently even contrasts well against foliage and grass.

So, screw the LaRue and save the $200? Or, "Buy once, cry once" and have the best?

Thanks in advance for any input.

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    Lots of folks on here won't buy anything but LaRue mounts, and for good reason. They're damn near bulletproof, quality control and customer service are great. You'll pay for it, though, but there's a popular phrase around here: "Buy once, cry once."

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    LaRue. But avoid Botach. I have never done business with them for a simple reason: lots of people who have steered me right have all steered me away from Botach. They have about the worst damn reputation on the net.

A small smattering of info on Botach: http://forum.lwrci.com/newforum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7813 In this thread, a Botach rep responds and gives contact info for problems. He admits their CS sucks and lays out how to order (it's not the way you think). If you order from Botach, you need to study this thread and its advice from everyone, including Botach.

I stay away. I don't like drama with my money. But you should do some Googling and decide for yourself.

Of course, LaRue is the ultimate in low-drama kit. Got a little box from them last week myself.

haoleboy

1/2 Banned
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 17, 2005
    Dentsville
    I take the unpopular opinion.....:rolleyes:

90+ % of us won't be putting our equipment thru ANY abuse other than plinking or hunting.
    Could you run over it with a truck and have it survive? Probably, but are you going to? Is it worth the at least extra $120 for something that most of us will never put to the test?

Food for thought.

haoleboy

1/2 Banned
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 17, 2005
    Dentsville

Attachments

• p_100004583_2.jpg
      p_100004583_2.jpg
      11.9 KB · Views: 201

JamesBailey

Form Factor'ed!
    Jan 28, 2010
    Arlington VA
    I love my LaRue SPR QD. I love the QD bipod they make. If you are looking for repeatable, rugged QD capability combined with accuracy, they can't be beat and you will have a life time of use with it to make back the extra $150 you spent.

If you are dropping such a large amount on a quality optic, it doesn't make sense not to invest in quality mount (mounts are probably the number 1 reason why a scoped rifle isn't accurate).

Buy the LaRue.

CMOS

One ragged donut hole
    Nov 13, 2009
    MoCo
    2) Any comments on the scope in general?

I have the Trijicon TA31H-G. Basically, the same as yours but in 4X. A few comments on that:

Green is Great! If you research online, you'll quickly find that the human eye is far more sensitive to green than to red. The horseshoe reticle is great for quick target acquisition. I have no second thoughts about that. I shoot at an outdoor range with grass at 50 and 100 yards and I have no trouble seeing the green reticle. It's like a neon green jello color. You won't miss it.

1) Is the LaRue mount worth the extra coin?

Mine is on a LaRue QD. I wouldn't really do it any other way. Mine came from Trijicon with a simple mount that works fine. It uses two screw knobs to hold the rail. It's relatively QD. I thought the knobs stuck out a little farther that I'd like, but no big deal.

You would be ok to buy the scope w/o mount and then get the LaRue mount later. It would cost you a little more to do it that way b/c the package deal from LaRue saves around $100 as I recall.

These optics are not particularly easy to come by. When I called LaRue, they were out and had been for some time. Problem is that Trijicon makes like a billion differnt types of ACOGs so no retailer can possibly stock them all. Call around.

I would never buy anything from Botach based on what I've heard.

kgain673

I'm sorry for the typos!!
    Dec 18, 2007
    How much is the Larue mount? How much was your ACOG? If your going to buy the cheap one because you spent a ton on the ACOG, then go cheap, but in the end buy the Larue for the long run. Someone else said "buy once cry once" and that's the truth. I've told someone who just started shooting how much I spent for my aimpoint/mount combo and they said "Hell no, that's another gun!" True, but he bought a trash scope, then scraped that scoped, then bought a trash red dot which in the end was the same price as my combo, and he still has some Asian knock of junk. See my point. An optic is only as good as it's mount.

dwhaley

Oct 20, 2008
    Thanks for the replies, guys.

I pulled the trigger on a barely-used TA33GH and paid about the Botach price, except not to Botach.

I don't have the LaRue mount at the moment, but I will pick it up eventually. I'm still coming out ahead, assuming the scope comes through undamaged.

JeepDriver

Self confessed gun snob
    Aug 28, 2006
    White Marsh
    LaRue. Next question.

Someone once said: If LaRue is an option, LaRue is the answer.

My opinion exactly.

Why buy a copy ?

Add in the swag you get with a LaRue purchase, the customer support, his support of the troops and shooting sports, buying from LaRue is a no brainer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom