• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    When the SRSO/Match Director is not supervising the AGC pistol range...ceasefires are based on a mutual agreement. But I can tell you one thing --- you call a ceasefire every 5 or 10 minutes or so --- you'll wind-up with a lot of irate shooter's on your hands, who don't like to unload, make safe, within such a short timefold.

Agreed.

I've seen shooter's who can't even have there bullets impact the hill before the 25 yard station, much less the 50 yard berm, with there bullets hitting the ground around 15 feet in front of them.

Where is AGC going to find ground for a 25 yard outdoor pistol range?

They have been talking about putting one over by the archery/shotgun patterning range. Of course, that has been talked about for several years now.

I don't like having the 50 yard berm raised higher...because it might have a negative safety impact for shooters over at the 100 yard Barnes Range.

How so? The height of the pistol berm has nothing to do with the Barnes range.

At the Continental Indoor Range in Timonium..."no head shots on B-27 targets." You can at AGC...just make sure the bullet impacts at the 50 yard berm, which you probably can shoot center of mass shots at the same B-27 target height; but maybe no belly shots at short range distances.

On the left side of the range, it is cutting it close for this.

damifinowfish

Ultimate Member
    Dec 14, 2009
    Remulak
    Don't you mean right side?

Opps you are right

Can we use torso targets at AGC? I thought this was off limits.

Yes

But I would use them on my own frame.

This way you will not be challenged about your target being too big for the AGC frames.

Make shore the bottom of your target is high enough so that the low rounds impact the dirt impact area.

Solid colored torso targets are OK but targets that resemble a person are a no no.

I understand everyone knows the rules but why can't people follow them?

I shoot my Pistol on the 100 yard range at a 7 yard target that's center is post 7.5 feet high. I shoot using the off hand position and my rounds impact the dirt impact area.

Weekly we see people shooting from the off hand position at targets posted lower then they are tall. When they shoot like that how can the rounds impact the dirt impact area?

Bottom line is the target must be high enough so the bullet flies parallel to the ground until the impact area stops the bullet.

We all need to do a better job educating the new shooters that are joining our clubs.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    If any shooter has bullet impacts on the hill before the 25 yard shooting station...their is no way the bullet would impact the 50 yard berm whether the 23 yard hill was there or not; unless due to a ricochet.

What I'm saying is that every time I've taken a new shooter to the range (indoor up till now) they jerk the trigger and hit low until they spend more time shooting. My wife did it, my friends at work did it, and my dad did it. Took them MANY rounds to get the trigger right. I even had some of them shoot my wife's Ruger 22/45 and my friend from work was still jerking the trigger. So even if I put the target right, they can hit pretty low and would possibly be hitting the grass at 23yrds. Only way to solve that would be a berm at 25 yards that is like 10' high. The range I learned shooting back in college with my cousin had a berm about 15' high at 25yards at the pistol/shotgun range. Maybe if I can get over there this sunday, I'll see what others are doing.

Erno86

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 27, 2012
    Marriottsville, Maryland
    Melnic - I read an article in a gun magazine once...suggesting that it would be advantageous to introduce new pistol shooters, with having them get acquainted with the pistol's trigger, by first letting them shoot at least 10 rounds off the bench.

Your troubled shooter's might need a shooting coach. Many shooter's learn bad habits and still cling to them for many years, without themselves knowing that they are performing something wrong with the physical/mental mechanics of the sport; with the mental aspect factoring around 90%

As I always say...dry fire, dry fire, dry fire.

Erno86

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 27, 2012
    Marriottsville, Maryland
    On the left side of the range, it is cutting it close for this.

Agreed...because AGC did not extend the left barricade wall even with the 100 yard backstop berm on the Barnes Range. That saying...the barricade wall should be extended even with the 100 yard backstop, in order to keep wayward bullets from coming over from the pistol range into the Barnes Range.

Just my 2 cents.

I've heard for years, that AGC wanted to buy the state park property on the east side of the bow/shotgun range; in order to build a prefab indoor pistol range.

Cheers,

Erno

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom