• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    I can't get resolution on the pic. Is that a k-22? I have a '48 made K-22 Masterpiece. Most of my nieces and nephews learned to shoot with it. I used it in Hunter's Pistol shooting.
    It's an offspring of the K-22, a S&W Model 17, circa 1978-79.

Sorry about the resolution, Tapatalk and the site have been arguing over size of pics, sometimes it will take larger, sometimes not, with the same picture!!

Try this one......

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk
    a406ac094ec60a5f740132918dd77780.jpg

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    How accurate is accurate , or rather * Highly Accurate * in the opinion and goals of the OP ? That topic can be debated over cold beverages until the cows come home .

Sidetracking into the weeds a little bit , three broad catagories are kinda obvious :

Accurate enough for being almost always suitable for a particular purpose . Cliche example rule of thumb mechanical accuracy of 4 inch or less @ 25 yards being acceptable for self defense , and mil/ LE duty use .

Accurate enough for virtually any quasi real life , quasi practical purpose a handgun could be used . It would only be slightly subjective to say mechanical accuracy in the neighborhood of 1 inch @ 25 yards , the accuracy won't be the limiting factor for essentially anything .

Absolutely smallest groups , as a zen quest in itself .

Compared catagory to catagory , Revolvers are more accurate than bottomfeeders . Yup , I said it .

Mass production firearms have variation in specific dimensions . and cumulative tolerance stacks . Usually tolerence stacks will average themselves out to more or less the middle ground , with a few outliers on either end . With $$$ guns , sometimes that translates to a narrower range of tolerances , focused upon relationship of dimensions for accuracy . A prime example is Freedom Arms .

" Normal " medium frame or larger Double or Single Action revolvers in centerfire calibers ( without an * ) will Average 1.5 inches , 1.25 not uncommon , and 1.0in are bragging worthy stock . ( With ammunition of suitable potential , fired from rest , or braced two handed , by reasonably skilled shooter .)

If a " normal " production revolver has decent chambers and bore , if needed the timing and endshake can be blueprinted , throats can be reamed , forcing cone and crown recut . Having to do all of that would bring the $ up to Freedom Arms or S&W PC levels , but typically only 1 or 2 of above procedures if necessary would yield good results .

Very simple bottom lines - For example , plinking soda cans @ 15 yards , the difference between a 4 inch and 1.5 inch gun would be painfully obvious . A 1.25 inch gun , if your shooting skills are commensurate , would amaze your friends , neighbors , and shooting buddies .

Rockzilla

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2010
    55.751244 / 37.618423
    How accurate is accurate , or rather * Highly Accurate * in the opinion and goals of the OP ? That topic can be debated over cold beverages until the cows come home .

Sidetracking into the weeds a little bit , three broad catagories are kinda obvious :

Accurate enough for being almost always suitable for a particular purpose . Cliche example rule of thumb mechanical accuracy of 4 inch or less @ 25 yards being acceptable for self defense , and mil/ LE duty use .

Accurate enough for virtually any quasi real life , quasi practical purpose a handgun could be used . It would only be slightly subjective to say mechanical accuracy in the neighborhood of 1 inch @ 25 yards , the accuracy won't be the limiting factor for essentially anything .

Absolutely smallest groups , as a zen quest in itself .

Compared catagory to catagory , Revolvers are more accurate than bottomfeeders . Yup , I said it .

Mass production firearms have variation in specific dimensions . and cumulative tolerance stacks . Usually tolerence stacks will average themselves out to more or less the middle ground , with a few outliers on either end . With $$$ guns , sometimes that translates to a narrower range of tolerances , focused upon relationship of dimensions for accuracy . A prime example is Freedom Arms .

" Normal " medium frame or larger Double or Single Action revolvers in centerfire calibers ( without an * ) will Average 1.5 inches , 1.25 not uncommon , and 1.0in are bragging worthy stock . ( With ammunition of suitable potential , fired from rest , or braced two handed , by reasonably skilled shooter .)

If a " normal " production revolver has decent chambers and bore , if needed the timing and endshake can be blueprinted , throats can be reamed , forcing cone and crown recut . Having to do all of that would bring the $ up to Freedom Arms or S&W PC levels , but typically only 1 or 2 of above procedures if necessary would yield good results .

Very simple bottom lines - For example , plinking soda cans @ 15 yards , the difference between a 4 inch and 1.5 inch gun would be painfully obvious . A 1.25 inch gun , if your shooting skills are commensurate , would amaze your friends , neighbors , and shooting buddies .

an interesting take and analogy.
    Bottom line define "accurate" and everyone's definition of accurate.

then you factor in the human or operator.

Like the old High Standard pistols Victors, Trophy
    then the worked over 1911's with Bar-sto barrels.
    Shooting them out of the Ranson Rest.. takes me out of the picture
    so therefore I don't have to point the finger at the gun, just me.

sorry off track...here...

-Rock

Virgil Co.C

Aug 10, 2018
    Fit the hand well , comfortable. Feel good. Make sure you like the trigger , the feel , the pull. Like my Sig very much . Have an M&P I like the gun but hate the trigger , it’s more of a , imagine a backwards C as where my 9mm and especially 1911 has a flat / straight trigger so to speak . I agree with general consensus almost any new hand gun is gonna be on. I feel shooting a revolver is a different feel to it . Whats your application going to be. For semi I perform best with Sig226 , revolver like my Vaquero, for fun target shooting paper I like my MK1 (22). And you know what they say ain’t the arrow it’s the Indian

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    Accurate handgun?

I’m not so much a handgun guy, so some informed help and education would be appreciated.

I would like to purchase a highly accurate handgun. Either a wheel gun or semi-auto would be acceptable, but not a TC contender type. It would be suitable for mounting an optical scope. I already have an accurate 22LR, so it should be a more powerful cartridge. I’m an experienced handloader, so (once shortages abate) I can roll my own. I don’t want something with ridiculous recoil, so cartridges/guns like a .454 Casull would not be acceptable. This would not be a personal defense or hunting weapon, just a target toy. I would not anticipate use in any type of pistol competition, just small groups at distance. Price range is open, but likely capped at ~$2000-ish?

What is a good, highly accurate handgun cartridge and style/make/model???

Lots of great responses in the thread- shame it’s a terrible time to get to see a wide variety of handguns in most shops. Your price range is huge and almost not a factor, there are $500 guns that are more accurate and comfortable than $2K examples in many cases. I’d stick to major manufacturers Glock, Sig, S&W, CZ, Springfield, Beretta, H&K, Ruger, etc. All are quality and reliable.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    I'd look at something like a S&W 586/686 series. I have a 686+ that my buddy can shoot a ragged hole offhand at 10 yards with, it's extremely accurate. I can't do that because I suck at shooting revolvers.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    One of the most accurate handguns I've ever fired was the S&W Model 64 Heavy Barrel I was issued for some years when I was a LEO...a plain jane, fixed sight Model 64. An accurate handgun doesn't have to have all the bells and whistles to shoot well. A Model 10 I owned some years before was the same.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    One of the most accurate handguns I've ever fired was the S&W Model 64 Heavy Barrel I was issued for some years when I was a LEO...a plain jane, fixed sight Model 64. An accurate handgun doesn't have to have all the bells and whistles to shoot well. A Model 10 I owned some years before was the same.

That's the most accurate handgun in my collection too, a S&W Model 64 heavy barrel that I bought used for under $300. I strive to shoot my other handguns as well. A Colt 1911 in 9mm, a Sig P226 Legion SAO in 9mm, Walther PPQ in 9mm, a S&W 617 in 22LR, a Bulgarian Makarov, and a few S&W revolvers that I have in 357 Magnum are all terrifically accurate guns, but none quite ascends to the used S&W Model 64 in my hands - which kind of annoys me, lol. I practice and practice with these other guns, and then pick up the Model 64 cold, and still shoot it better.

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA

I was also issued a S&W 64 when I joined the Federal Protective Service. I proceeded to shoot 298/300 in qualifications with it at our home range. I can't say the same for the shot out Smith (Mod. 10, I think) I had at FLETC. I qualified, so I didn't complain, but my buddies that were with me all said something along the lines of "if he can't break 240, that gun's a P.O.S." to the firearms instructors. It was totally unsafe, would completely lock up every 5-10 shots, but I qualified, and so they didn't give a crap. But, I loved that 64!!!

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    I was also issued a S&W 64 when I joined the Federal Protective Service. I proceeded to shoot 298/300 in qualifications with it at our home range. I can't say the same for the shot out Smith (Mod. 10, I think) I had at FLETC. I qualified, so I didn't complain, but my buddies that were with me all said something along the lines of "if he can't break 240, that gun's a P.O.S." to the firearms instructors. It was totally unsafe, would completely lock up every 5-10 shots, but I qualified, and so they didn't give a crap. But, I loved that 64!!!

I was with FPS but they had already transitioned to the S&W "Boat Anchor" Model 4046. I was with a different agency with the M64. I wish I could have kept that revolver when I left...all their revolvers were melted down when they went to Sigs.

At FLETC I qualified with a S&W Model 686...that's what they were using then. My second time there we used the boat anchors since we were an all FPS class for updated training.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    i generally don't shoot handguns for precise groups, just get a zero and then do matches with it.

at the nra world shooting championship i think year before last, we were using canik tp9sfx with vortex viper red dots on the uspsa stage. between squads we were playing with them. freehand but slow, from about 10 paces, i put 10 shots in the head A zone which is pretty small to begin with (not just the head but the A zone within it). it's a pretty accurate gun (and reliable) and i ended up buying one.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Once upon a geological age , I was in de facto charge of a fleet of well worn .38spl service revolvers . I was well aware of the ( internal ) wear of all of them , and group tested a lot of them for my curiosity , of various S&W , Colt, Ruger, and Rossi ( !) .

Even including the very high millage ones almost as bad as the M10 mentioned above , the overall average was 1.5 inches @ 25yds ( using my handloads of known accuracy potential , and I was shooting enough in those days to keep my skills honed ) . Anything approaching 2.0 in would have a buggered crown .

A memorable M15 had zero finish remaining , but would shoot sub 1.0 inch . When I could no long get that one , I had two S&W and a Ruger available that I knew to be sub 1.25 inch .

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    That's the most accurate handgun in my collection too, a S&W Model 64 heavy barrel that I bought used for under $300. I strive to shoot my other handguns as well. A Colt 1911 in 9mm, a Sig P226 Legion SAO in 9mm, Walther PPQ in 9mm, a S&W 617 in 22LR, a Bulgarian Makarov, and a few S&W revolvers that I have in 357 Magnum are all terrifically accurate guns, but none quite ascends to the used S&W Model 64 in my hands - which kind of annoys me, lol. I practice and practice with these other guns, and then pick up the Model 64 cold, and still shoot it better.

I think all of your guns are very accurate. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom