• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    I only have one 10/22 and it's the basic carbine model. It's accurate enough to get me my Winterseed patch, but I know it could be better. Are there any versions which are inherently more accurate than others? There's at least one rifle version with a longer barrel and there seem to be some with bull barrels from the factory.

I also accept that with the nicer ones, I'm getting close to the money for the Magnum Research guns. Factory threaded barrels are nice even though I don't play in that game yet.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    You can do a ton of stuff to make the one you have a tack driver. It will cost you though....
    There was a guy at Dulles yesteday that all he sold was rimfire stuff, mostly upgrades, barrels, etc for 10/22's. I think I grabbed his card if you want his info.
    Or hit up rimfirecentral.com

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    That is an option. I suspect though that accurizing what I have would end up costing me about the same as a new rifle. Looking at some new barrels is actually what got me started with this thread.

toppkatt

Ultimate Member
    Apr 22, 2017
    Ruger used to sell a 10/22T, not sure if they still make them or not. Take a look at Kidd rifles
    https://www.kiddinnovativedesign.com/
    Yes they did, I too am not sure if they still do, but at the time Ruger was just starting to make hammer forged barrels and the 10/22T had a nice spiral pattern on it from the hammer forging process. They were supposedly more accurate. I thought Ruger has gone to hammer forged barrels routinely so not sure if they all come that way now or not. Once you spend the money to invest in hammer forging equipment you might as well use it...
    If I recall, from my days on the Rimfire Central forum the two things to improve accuracy fastest was replace the barrel and install aftermarket trigger components (Volquartsen, Kidd, etc.)
    A complete Kidd trigger is expensive but man what it does for a 10/22 is almost magic.

Last edited:

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    You can do a ton of stuff to make the one you have a tack driver. It will cost you though....
    There was a guy at Dulles yesteday that all he sold was rimfire stuff, mostly upgrades, barrels, etc for 10/22's. I think I grabbed his card if you want his info.
    Rimfire central is where I get all my Ruger 22 upgrades. Whether it’s my 10/22s or 22/45s.

hillbilly grandpa

Jan 26, 2013
    Arnold
    M*CARBO has a spring kit, and a good video on both installation and polishing. For about $19.00 including shipping it looks like worthwhile upgrade.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    The BX trigger group drop in from Ruger was worth it for me. Really helped. I also changed out the bolt, springs, mag release an some other stuff I cant think of now on my takedown. The barrel was changed out with a Gemtech Mist.

F-Stop

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2009
    Cecil County
    Have you taken a look at the crown? I’ve read of ppl doing the brass screw method to clean them up as the factory barrels had burrs and such.

It’s probably been 7 years now but I went with a Kidd barrel and trigger. Pricey but it shoots amazing with just cci sv. Eley club has them all touching. At 50.

The Bergara clone caught my eye when it came out. Not sure what price is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tungsten

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2012
    Elkridge, Leftistan
    I agree. The BX trigger was a significant improvement without adding too much cost. I also put on tech sights. Those two upgrades were all I needed to make it more accurate than me.

KRC

Sep 30, 2018
    Cecil County MD
    I shoot a 10/22 in PRS/NRL22/MARS competition. It is very accurate. You will not likely be able to buy any factory Ruger that will shoot as well as adding aftermarket parts. Your best investment will be a GOOD barrel like a Kidd SS Bull/Match barrel free floated and paired with an aftermarket trigger, the best being the Kidd 2-stage trigger. (There are a ton of lower priced barrels marketed as"Match" that are NOT match quality - beware!) Other mods such as special bolts and receivers make little to no difference. If you want to see how well a modified 10/22 can shoot, drop by Bridgeville Rifle and Pistol Club in DE and check out the MARS PRS/TBR match this Saturday Feb.10. There will be at least 2 10/22's competing.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    I only have one 10/22 and it's the basic carbine model. It's accurate enough to get me my Winterseed patch, but I know it could be better. Are there any versions which are inherently more accurate than others? There's at least one rifle version with a longer barrel and there seem to be some with bull barrels from the factory.

I also accept that with the nicer ones, I'm getting close to the money for the Magnum Research guns. Factory threaded barrels are nice even though I don't play in that game yet.

I own several 22 rimfires. None of them is anywhere near as finicky with ammo as my 10/22. For reasons I don't understand, I've never seen the rimfire ammo performance differences that my 10/22 displayed.

"Could be better?" No doubt in my mind that I'd start with a thorough ammo review at the range.

Here's a thread from 2021 along the lines of your question.

Thread 'How accurate stock Ruger 10/22' https://www.mdshooters.com/threads/how-accurate-stock-ruger-10-22.255327/

linkstate

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Howard County
    I had to look his name up but I used to read a lot over on rimfirecentral. There was a guy named 'Nemohunter' that did some magic on the chamber end of stock Ruger barrels for not much money. You just sent him the barrel I think. Not sure if he is still around or others do something similar. From what I remember the two biggest issues with stock 10/22 barrels are the chamber end and the barrel band if it has one.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    They still make a target and competition model that are good out of the box. For the best you want to build around the barrel, probably a kidd bull barrel, then go from there.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    If you want your 10/22 to be more accurate, you're going to be spending money. No way to get around that. Unless you're pursuing some real benchrest competition action, you really only need a few things:
    1. Better barrel
    2. Better trigger group
    3. Better stock/chassis
    4. Better ammo (which, IMHO, is the place to start)

10/22s are stupidly easy to work on. There's really no reason you couldn't do these fixes yourself. But start with "better ammo" first to see what you and your gun are really capable of.

Baldheaded

Ultimate Member
    Jan 18, 2021
    A.A. Co.
    There are several ways to go about this. I have done them. Really depends on what you want to use the rifle for. I have a Ruger 10/22 with a bunch of Kidd parts that I installed. Everything has been upgraded except the barrel and receiver. I know most will tell you a barrel is a must but the way mine sits now is very accurate. I have a red dot for it and inside of 100yds it is just a lot of fun to shoot. If you are looking for a tack driver I would say just go out and buy a CZ 457 with the bull barrel and put a nice scope on it. You can get the rifle for under $600 and it will be a tack driver. Plus you have 2 fun guns now. A serious build with Kidd or Volquartsen parts will run you big $$$$.

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    Send your barreled action to CPC for their tune up. It"st the best $159 you can spend on a 10/22.

They can also rework your trigger for $79. But I prefer the job Brimstone does(they can be a bit harder to deal with though)

Otherwise just buy a Kidd, Volquartsen or TacSol. It's cheaper than upgrading a Ruger with parts.

Last edited:

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    If you noticed, he doesn't sell any Rugers. I believe he had one used Target. Everything else was Kidd, Volquartsen and TacticalSolutions. He has amazing stuff

gforce

MDS Supporter
    Aug 22, 2018
    Rimfire Central has some awesome info on this. the stock trigger can be modified (sear disconnect angle) and combined with polishing it made a really excellent trigger. There is instruction on RC about how to do it. That, some crown work, and tech sights made the bone stock 10/22 a comfortable 100yd plinker. might be able to push it further, haven’t tried. I’ll defer to others more competition minded for the more technical aspects of precision.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    A limit of your basic Ruger 10/22 is the chamber. Its pretty huge compared to a bentz/match/etc chambers everyone else uses. I have two 10/22Ts (one stainless and one blued) and I think they had tighter chambers but I'll be honest that I've never measured them. They are a little but more finicky feeding ammo due to this. I suspect anyone tuning a factory barrel is setting it back slightly and reaming a tighter chamber.

I've been meaning to get the son out to an Appleseed event w/ them.

I'll agree w/ most folks and say buy a Kidd or something if you want to save money long term. Though you can do most of it in stages and just end up w/ two rifles at the end anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom