Accidentally mixed up some 7x 57 surplus ammo with 8mm mauser. help.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    If you have them mixed together, you need to unmix them, carefully and methodically.

I wouldn't expect an 8mm round to chamber in a 7mm rifle, but if you manage to cram one in there, I wouldn't recommend you pull the trigger.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    The 7 mm may chamber but is shorter than the 8mm.
    If you get it to fire the brass will be no good good for reloading and I suppose you may wind up with a serious gas leak.
    An 8mm will not chamber in the 7mm
    Both cases have the same head diameter but the differences between bullet diameter should be able to be detected by eye. the 7mm case is shorter.
    Poke the bullets through a piece of paper and use that for a quick visual indicator.
    The 8mm will not fit through the hole. Measure them with a caliper if you have one available.
    Once you get them sorted, observe the marks on the headstamp and double check them to be double sure. Have some one else give them a go over.
    Dont ever have 8mm and 3006 out at the same time because an 8mm will chamber in a 06.

Mr Oni

Military history nut
    Dec 11, 2010
    Brooklyn md.
    The 7 mm may chamber but is shorter than the 8mm.
    If you get it to fire the brass will be no good good for reloading and I suppose you may wind up with a serious gas leak.
    Both cases have the same head diameter but the differences between bullet diameter should be able to be detected by eye. the 7mm case is shorter.
    Poke the bullets through a piece of paper and use that for a quick visual indicator.
    The 8mm will not fit through the hole. Measure them with a caliper if you have one available.
    Once you get them sorted, observe the marks on the headstamp and double check them to be double sure. Have some one else give them a go over.
    Dont ever have 8mm and 3006 out at the same time because an 8mm will chamber in a 06.
    they really look the same to me but i could tell simply by trying all the ammo in the 7mm and the 8 mm wont fit correct.

Mr Oni

Military history nut
    Dec 11, 2010
    Brooklyn md.
    If you have them mixed together, you need to unmix them, carefully and methodically.

I wouldn't expect an 8mm round to chamber in a 7mm rifle, but if you manage to cram one in there, I wouldn't recommend you pull the trigger
    Maybe ill take the ammo to my gun store and ask them to sort it. I am pretty sure its 90 percent 7mm ammo i bought at a gun show 10 or more years ago.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Better to get someone else involved just to be sure.
    A 7mm case is like 2 thou larger in diameter than an 8mm right before the extractor groove.
    But thats not a whole to stake anything on becuase of wear, ammo and manufacture characteristics.
    But, an 8mm case at the mouth is larger than a 7mm neck entirely. 8 mm is less taper and larger diameter not to mention a longer case etc. It wont fit.
    A Mauser extractor claw may, just hold a 7mm case to where it may light if chambered in a 8mm rifle and the larger diameter of the case could just be resized even if the chamber is small because of mechanical leverage of the bolt closing.

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    I wouldn't trust myself using the hole in the paper, or eyeballing it. One may just slip through into the wrong pile.

I'm not an expert in this area... I don't reload and none of my rifles have visually similar ammo, but this makes me think:

How about this:

- remove the bolt from your 7mm rifle
    - methodically go through the pile, and drop them one by one into the chamber
    - anything that fits goes into a '7mm bucket', anything else goes into an '8mm bucket'.

Mr Oni

Military history nut
    Dec 11, 2010
    Brooklyn md.
    I wouldn't trust myself using the hole in the paper, or eyeballing it. One may just slip through into the wrong pile.

I'm not an expert in this area... I don't reload and none of my rifles have visually similar ammo, but this makes me think:

How about this:

- remove the bolt from your 7mm rifle
    - methodically go through the pile, and drop them one by one into the chamber
    - anything that fits goes into a '7mm bucket', anything else goes into an '8mm bucket'.
    Sounds like a great idea

If you're willing to pay and wait, this is the easiest solution. The 8mm won't fit.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    8mm on the right, 7mm on the left. Seems like it should be pretty easy to eyeball them once you found one of each.
    IMG_1465.jpg

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    Maybe ill take the ammo to my gun store and ask them to sort it. I am pretty sure its 90 percent 7mm ammo i bought at a gun show 10 or more years ago.
    They will either laugh hysterically, or quote you a price that isn't worth it. Maybe both.

Looks like the shoulder lengths are different enough that you could use a ruler to sort them out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom