Accidentally bought another WWII gun already this year - 1940 Enfield No 2 Mk I*

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    Yesterday I made offers on two different guns - the 1940 Italian M1934 and a 1940 British No 2 Mk I*.

I got a response on the M1934 accepting my offer but none on the Enfield revolver so I assume they rejected that offer so I went ahead and bought the M1934 that I have already posted pics of here in its own thread.

Today, on New Years Day and on a Sunday at that, I get an email that they would also accept my offer on the Enfield so it looks like I have already bought another MilSurp this year - I made it a whopping 12 hours into the year without buying another. SMH.

Anyway, here it is - 1940 Enfield No 2 Mk I* DAO .38 S&W revolver. All numbers matching and not import marked. It was the standard British/Commonwealth sidearm in WWII, alongside the Webley MK IV and S&W Victory revolvers also chambered in .38 S&W.

I believe I have already found a correct holster which also has the correct cleaning rod.

Screen Shot 2023-01-01 at 11.58.24 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-01-01 at 11.58.54 AM.png

Last edited:

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    I will one day inherent one of those but I'm in no hurry. Very nice Sir.

emerald

Ultimate Member
    Apr 25, 2015
    Neat looking piece, and honestly not familiar with them. Looks like something else to think about - would be nice to have one to go with my Enfield rifle. ;)

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Nice find! I've been trolling for a 30's vintage No2 MKI for quite some time but no joy. This is one of those revolvers that you don't have to look too hard or pay too much to outfit a full rig. Seems that there are plenty of the correct holster, lanyard and cleaning rod out there in the wild.

Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    Nice find! I've been trolling for a 30's vintage No2 MKI for quite some time but no joy. This is one of those revolvers that you don't have to look too hard or pay too much to outfit a full rig. Seems that there are plenty of the correct holster, lanyard and cleaning rod out there in the wild.
    They aren't too pricey in the big scheme of things. I was holding out for a 1940-1943. The holsters are readily available. Real, Enfield cleaning rods are proving to be more of a challenge. There are a lot of S&W cleaning rods from Victory revolvers out there, not so many .38 Enfield rods at least that I can find. The one I had my eye on turned out to be a .455 cleaning rod. The seller didn't know there was two different calibers...lol

Clovis

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 1, 2011
    Centreville
    They aren't too pricey in the big scheme of things. I was holding out for a 1940-1943. The holsters are readily available. Real, Enfield cleaning rods are proving to be more of a challenge. There are a lot of S&W cleaning rods from Victory revolvers out there, not so many .38 Enfield rods at least that I can find. The one I had my eye on turned out to be a .455 cleaning rod. The seller didn't know there was two different calibers...lol
    I wasn't aware of rod differences either. Can you link to something showing the differences or can you post a pic of the two side by side.

Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    I wasn't aware of rod differences either. Can you link to something showing the differences or can you post a pic of the two side by side.
    I will once I find a .38 Enfield.
    Not to come across as a smart aleck, but the .455 is larger than the .38 rod at least from what I have been able to get from sellers. I have yet to find any locally that I can put my hands on.

I am far from an expert, I learn something new about these old guns everyday. Guys on here like SoMD Mustang have helped me a lot.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Jtlambo

Latest threads

Top Bottom