• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    I tell my students to consider buying a vest.
    Another use for it is as a backstop for dry fire practice.
    Hat tip to Massad Ayoob for the idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

AlanInSilverSpring

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 25, 2017
    Negligent discharge

TY

Not necessarily. Some of us will die before having that ND. :D

I hope you never do.
    ND that is. I'm pretty sure you will die though :D

And that's the only reason I started this thread. Kind of like when in high school they would bring in a mangled up car from a drunk driving accident every year right before prom time. You can never have too many safety reminders pounded into you, and visual aids are invaluable.

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    Not necessarily. Some of us will die before having that ND. :D
    ^^ Well played!!!

Alan, glad you're okay, and I have no doubt you will learn from this and move on.

To some on MDS: You guys often make me laugh. :lol2: :thumbsup:

To others on MDS: When are your halos coming back from the cleaner?

And to other(s) on MDS:

See Dick
    See Dick read
    See Dick post
    See Dick fail
    Don't be a Dick

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    OP,

Kudos to you for telling your story. I consider it an effort to educate others. That was the point in my prior now deleted post. Admissions and remedial corrective action should not be discouraged, but rather honored and welcomed.

BTW, in most circles, whether we like it or not, negligent = accidental. Only within the firearms community do we try to slice the bologna even thinner by distinguishing between the two.

A few years ago I was competing in a pistol match. The course of fire required movement and a potential magazine change since I was shooting a true 1911 single stack. The course of fire also required weak hand shots. So when I ran dry shooting left hand on the move I had to transition back to strong hand for a reload and back to weak hand to continue the course. In the process of doing this I managed to let a round fly down range unintentionally. I stopped, reported the unintentional discharge to the RSO, but wasn't DQ'd because it was during the course of fire and my muzzle was down range.

I suppose I could have kept my mouth shut and carried on, but I didn't. It was a valuable learning experience. The rules protected me and others. Flame on.

Mike

Propietario de casa, Toluca, México
    MDS Supporter
    ND is a serious concern. In all the replies nobody has suggested snap caps?

I would only put live ammo in a firearm at the range or in a home defense situation. AlaninSS I'm glad you've only injured your pride.

Edit: apparently, some couldn't grasp my meaning when I had it worded as a negative statement.

Last edited:

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    ND is a serious concern. In all the replies nobody has suggested snap caps?

I would never put live ammo in a firearm outside of the range or in a home defense situation. AlaninSS I'm glad you've only injured your pride.

So. Snap caps.... your recommendation for home defense?
    I can easily get $100 an hour for home defense planning. I'll meet you for free for as long as it takes to help you.

HankR

Ultimate Member
    Jan 22, 2013
    Upper Midwest
    what's "ND" ?

People in North Dakota have a reputation for carelessness with firearms...

Alan, glad everybody is OK, and thanks for fessing up.

I have had an ND. I was unloading a hunting rifle with a blind mag after dark. I thought I had cycled all the rounds through, since they stopped coming out when I worked the bolt. It was dark, so I did a very poor visual inspection, and I was too cold (and lazy) to remove my mitten and jam my pinkie into the chamber as I normally do. I'd cycled the rounds out with the gun (pointing away from people and the house) across the backseat of my pickup (so I wouldn't have to fish the rounds out of the snow). Luckily I pulled the rifle out of the truck and aimed it at the ground several feat away and pulled the trigger. For some reason I'd lost count and the last round had slid in front of the extractor and didn't eject. Yoaza.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    There are two types of firearm owners: those who have had a negligent discharge, and those who haven't had one yet.

Glad to hear that no was hurt. Learn from it and move forward.

Correct, but the OP called his an "Accidental" discharge. The first step to his learning is for him to know the difference.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    OP good on ya for getting right back on that horse so quickly and getting out there with some lead release therapy.

Enjoyed some of that today with a couple of friends myself, good for what ails ya.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom