• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MikeTF

Ultimate Member
    Haha...skewer was definitely the better choice.

Check and see if it feels cooler after running for a bit. The capacitor will play a role just to get the fan running. If all is well you just need to swap it out. It really is super easy. Just make sure you pull the fuse so you don't get a shock!
    .... and discharge the old capacitor by shorting it out with an insulated screwdriver.

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD
    It's blowing slightly cooler... but that may be the warmth of the house air being problematic...

Will check again in an hour.

Hopefully that is it. I was fortunate enough to just have a fan/capacitor issue but I have heard that it can escalate to other issue quickly. I would get an expert out there sooner rather than later!

Mr H

Banana'd
    Hopefully that is it. I was fortunate enough to just have a fan/capacitor issue but I have heard that it can escalate to other issue quickly. I would get an expert out there sooner rather than later!

We will... I just wanted to see if one of our HVAC pros here would want the job.

As for the bolded, I was wondering if it could cascade to/from a compressor failure...

Red5

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 21, 2016
    Maryland
    Our AC started blowing slightly cool air about 9:00 last night. Is there someone who could come out and check it?

Mrs. Mr H

Grab a screw driver and head outside. Remove the panel held on by a couple of screws.

A how to check the outside unit:

http://www.justanswer.com/hvac/8fok9-goodman-mini-split-model-msg-18crn1-think.html

if the capacitor is grenaded, get a new one

Bad-AC-Capacitor2.jpg

.... and discharge the old capacitor by shorting it out with an insulated screwdriver.

Change Filter
    Clean coils
    Test and change capacitor if needed. Capacitors are HVAC items that you need a lic. to buy in MD. Check Amazon for one, don't need lic. to buy on line... . They run about 18 bucks including shipping.
    If the compressor comes on, it's not the capacitor. It will be dirty coils or low refrigerant.

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD
    As for the bolded, I was wondering if it could cascade to/from a compressor failure...

From what I understand it can cascade to a compressor failure. That is how I understand it. I am definitely not an expert on the subject. It does give you some peace of mind that it is LIKELY just the capacitor. That is a much less expensive fix.

a216vcti

Cliff
    Oct 19, 2009
    Change Filter
    Clean coils
    Test and change capacitor if needed. Capacitors are HVAC items that you need a lic. to buy in MD. Check Amazon for one, don't need lic. to buy on line... . They run about 18 bucks including shipping.
    If the compressor comes on, it's not the capacitor. It will be dirty coils or low refrigerant.

You don't need a license to buy a capacitor.

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    Our AC started blowing slightly cool air about 9:00 last night. Is there someone who could come out and check it?

Mrs. Mr H

The 2 times mine did this were:

First, a stick had fallen in the condenser unit preventing the cooling blades from turning.

The condensation spout to the outside had become blocked.

check those then worry about more expensive stuff.

If you check the motherboard of the unit it should have an error code, like an LCD or something. That should tell you whats wrong.

Mr H

Banana'd
    I appreciate all the help today. But I'll reiterate a few key points.

1 - I will not be cracking the case on the unit. I don't "do" electrical work I'm not already familiar with.

2 - This unit is almost 30 years old. It might have a GRANDmotherboard, but I doubt it would even now what a diag code is.

3 - I would prefer to let someone in the MDS family get my money, if it can be done simply and professionally.

While it's not an 'emergency', I will need something in the next week. If no one can take it, I'll be calling Blue Dot on Monday, I suppose.

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    2 - This unit is almost 30 years old. It might have a GRANDmotherboard, but I doubt it would even now what a diag code is.
    Somewhere on the board is the manufacturer and there should be the error code. If you enter that into Google you might get the answer you are looking for.

A few years ago mine was doing this and I looked it up. It ended up being one of the safety valves for the furnace had gone bad. I called a local hvac company, told them the model # (that was printed on the motherboard), the error code and that it was complaining about the valve.

I asked them if they had a replacement and they did. They sold it to me for $40.

Had I called someone they would have charged me > $100.

Pull the cover off the unit and see what you can see.

Good luck!

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    UPDATE...

Hadn't thought to check the breaker outside (forgot it even existed)...

Was not tripped, but reset it anyway.

When I engaged it, there was a sound from inside the unit, resembling a faint "PTUNK", like it wanted to engage, but couldn't.

You got a breaker? I've got a fuse box with two fat fuses. Had a problem a few years back and replaced the fuses. Worked fine. Another issue is if your condinsate pump float gets stuck. Won't let the unit turn on. Good luck

MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    Grab a screw driver and head outside. Remove the panel held on by a couple of screws.

A how to check the outside unit:

http://www.justanswer.com/hvac/8fok9-goodman-mini-split-model-msg-18crn1-think.html

if the capacitor is grenaded, get a new one

Bad-AC-Capacitor2.jpg

90% chance it is this. $10 fix if you do it yourself or $125-$175 for an HVAC tech visit (if you can get one to show up in this heat wave)

I was nervous about doing this too, but soon realized there is nothing to it. If I were closer I would come do it for you.

That said, consider just pulling the panel and visually inspecting the capacitor. If the top is swelled, you know what the problem is. Only issue is that they do not sell them at the home depot unless you order it on their website. Need to walk into a electrical supply store and see if they will sell you one. I have never been refused.

Ski169

May 28, 2012
    When this happened to me, I was new homeowner. It was during the heatwave of 2011. I'm not an hvac person so my wife called someone to look at it. After the tech said it was the capacitor and quoted us a price of $300, I said no thank you. I bought a window unit to get us through the heatwave while I looked into what it would take to do the repair.
    It pays to know people at work. One of the supervisors had an account with R E Michaels. He hooked me up and called the order in. I drove there and paid $8 for it. I got new wire and connectors at work and about a half hour later, I was back in business. The worst part was the $75 service fee for the tech to look at it. Lesson learned.

Mr H

Banana'd
    At this point, I'm pretty well convinced I have multiple issues.

I get paid for my particular expertise, and I'm more than willing to help out someone for theirs.

I'll take an additional peek tomorrow, but I'm sure it's beyond my ken.

Thanks to all.

ShafTed

Ultimate Member
    Mar 21, 2013
    Juuuuust over the line
    If you're looking to keep it in the community, call H&C Heating & Cooling, pbharvey on the board. They're in Laurel, but you might be in their territory.

301 725 1414
    410 792 9065
    800 318 5607

I've used them a couple of times, I think it's about $79 to get to your door and take a look, plus whatever parts/labor you need.

MikeTF

Ultimate Member
    At this point, I'm pretty well convinced I have multiple issues.

I get paid for my particular expertise, and I'm more than willing to help out someone for theirs.

I'll take an additional peek tomorrow, but I'm sure it's beyond my ken.

Thanks to all.
    It is 30 years old. You may want to consider getting a new system. I got my system to go 35 years. My brother got his to go 45 years. The manufacturers claim that 15 years is the 'lifespan' of an AC system, but I'm a bit dubious about their motivation for that claim.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom