• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JamesBailey

Form Factor'ed!
    Jan 28, 2010
    Arlington VA
    Last weekend (25/26 Sept 2010), forum members Oliver Lottermann, Matt “Trebark” and I attended a rifle class at Central Virginia Tactical (CVT) taught by Ed Shell. I wanted to share our experience with the forum in case anyone is considering long-range training. I have attached a lot of photos at the bottom as well (thanks to Matt for providing these).

Conclusion:
    If you are interested in long-range, precision rifles for target, tactical and/or hunting, you MUST go to CVT. Ed has a wealth of knowledge and is highly effective at teaching it to his students. We went to learn to shoot long-range in the wind and all three of us agree: this is the best rifle training we have ever received (we are not novice shooters either: Oliver is a national record holder F-Class shooter, Matt has hunted for 20 years and I was an 11Bravo in the US Army).

Venue:
    Our class was held on a farm in the mountains on the panhandle of MD; this is one of CVT’s long-range training grounds (CVT has several other training venues for basic and shorter range applications, as well as an ultra-long range facility). At this farm, Ed has a 100 yd zeroing lane and steel targets from ~600 to 1200 yards (several short-range popper targets are also available). Ed trains here because the wind conditions are absolutely horrible – which is perfect for teaching long-range shooting. Air density altitude varies between 2000 and 6000ft.

On our two days, we had 5-7mph winds at 7 o’clock and density altitude of 2500 ft on day one, and 3-6 mph winds at 3 o’clock and density altitude of 3000 ft on day two. Weather was partly cloudy, highs in mid 60s. We fired from two prone shooting positions: Firing Point 1 (FP1) on ridge about 300 feet above the targets, and the Firing Point 2 (FP2), 200 feet higher up on the crest of the same mountain. Ed can also offer position shooting (e.g. barriers, rocks, buddies, etc) from this training venue.

Philosophy:
    Ed believes that your first shot should be a hit. To accomplish this, students must work before starting the CVT class. This work includes knowing your equipment, fully developing your load (e.g. having accurate come-up data and wind deflection values) and understanding the impact of likely environmental conditions. Along these lines, Ed would rather have a student miss ten times and understand why they missed then have 10 hits but not understand why. This is not “spread and pray” instruction, but careful consideration of multi-variable problems. Ed believes this is the only way to achieve consistent long-range success.

Training:
    CVT tailors its training to the interests and skills of the students. We requested instruction on shooting in the wind and general intermediate-level skills for long range shooting (500+yds). I also wanted help taking the 5.56mm AR out as long as possible with magazine length ammunition.

Ed started day one with a “class room” lecture. He covered the physics and math of ballistics, but in an easy to understand style. There were plenty of opportunities to ask questions and get feedback on existing knowledge. Next, we moved on to weapon fit, zeroing and shooting position evaluation. If you do not understand the importance of proper rifle fit you will after this instruction. (I have a long length of pull and long fingers – my rifle does not fit me very well and Ed let me know it!)

Once zeroed, we packed up and moved up the mountain. At FP1, we got a lesson on the military utility of the high ground – suddenly our line of sight (LOS) opened up and we could see all the steel targets and into the next state!

At FP1, Ed had us do field sketches and range the targets. A field sketch is a tool sniper teams use to map out distances to observed terrain, so they can quickly range and engage targets. I milled targets with my optic while Oliver and Matt lasered the targets.

After some discussion on target range, Ed moved us to the next variable: wind. If you have not trained in wind, you are not prepared for long-range shooting. It has a huge impact on bullet flight and continually changes. He extensively worked us through the wind calling process.

Ed started by calling the wind for us and we adjusted our scopes to the ranges and Ed’s wind values. This taught the value of the spotter in the shooter/spotter team. The spotter’s job requires a lot of skill because accurate wind calls are the most important yet difficult element of long-range shooting. We began engaging the closest targets and worked out longer. Progress was slow as we adjusted to all the information. As mentioned, Ed believes in learning prior to and after each shot. His objective is not to get a lot of rounds down range, but to understand as much as possible.

After we had engaged all the targets out to 900 yards, we practiced calling wind for Ed. We called the wind values and he would shoot what we gave him. Next, we practiced calling wind for each other. This spotter/shooter practice again made it clear how important each member of the teams is – each must correctly execute to hit long-range targets.

Finally, Ed spotted for the three of us as we each engaged different targets. This meant Ed had to keep track of three different wind vectors for three different shooters simultaneously. Our speed picked up and we heard a lot more PIINNNNGs as our hollow points hit steel. With three precision rifles in action, we put out a lot of accurate fire down range. With this, day one ended.

Day two started at 0700 hours. We re-verified zeros and Ed repainted the targets. Wind direction and speed had changed, giving us new variables to analyze. We started like we ended day one: engaging targets from FP1 by calling wind for each other. Our speed and hits noticeably improved, as we more quickly processed the variables. The spotter and shooter better understood how to analyze the conditions, what to do with the information and how to communicate it to each other.

Armed with this understanding, we packed up FP1 and headed up the mountain to FP2.

From FP2, a chest-sized target at a horizontal distance of 1200 yards and approximately 500 vertical feet lower can be engaged. This means a bullet travels nearly ¾ of a mile with a maximum height of 200 feet above ground in over 2 seconds of flight time. This height and flight time exposes the bullet to difficult wind conditions. For nearly an hour, Ed discussed the variables and firing solutions with us. This discussion proved valuable after Matt fired the first shoot and was rewarded by a nice PIINNNG about 6 seconds later! (Matt, shooting a custom .260 Rem, was the best student of the training, as he scored 100% first round hits, an impressively achievement in challenging conditions.)

Next, we practiced calling the wind for each other. This was much harder than under 1000 yards wind calls. A missed call of only 1 mph will take a bullet off the target by over 1 foot at 1200 yards.

I was the last shooter at FP2 and was shooting Ed’s .308 Win. As the final shooter, I had the benefit of knowing the most about the environment conditions. With Ed calling the wind, I put 25 rounds down range in 5 minutes. This was our fastest rate of fire in the two days of training and, thanks to Ed’s calls, I was able to achieve more hits then misses on the chest-sized steel plate target.

Personal Comment:
    I went to the training with an 18” precision AR chambered in 5.56mm (built by Noveske Rifleworks). I had a tuned load of 77 grain SMK over 24.0 grains of Reloader 15 doing 2600 fps. The rifle is sighted with a 1.8-10x variable power optic. I can shoot just under an MOA at 100 yards and hold an MOA at 300 yards, but shooting this platform and load proved difficult at over 700 yards. Small errors are compounded by the bullet’s relative low BC (G1=0.37) and slow muzzle velocity, and the rifle’s relatively light barrel. Deflection from wind is high and the flight path is not flat. However, it was possible to achieve consistent hits at over 700 yards and I hit the 900 yd target with 10 of 15 shoots. This success is clearly due to Ed’s excellent wind calling and instruction.

Cost:
    I will not disclose the price of CVT training. I will say that it is less than the published prices for popular training programs that are taught with large numbers of students per instructor. Ed works with each student independently, so the value he is delivering is more direct and personalized. Compared to the money invested in our gear and ammunition, CVT is not expensive and is highly valuable. PM Ed if you want pricing info: http://www.mdshooters.com/member.php?u=343

Photo Key:
    #1: LOS from FP1; steel targets at 600 to 900 yds UKDs
    #2: L to R: Matt, Oliver, Ed, James, at FP1
    #3: Oliver checking ballistic data for shooting targets at FP1 (note box of 190gr Berger VLDs for his .308 Win)
    #4: Ed instructing Oliver on wind calling, FP1
    #5: Matt engaging targets from FP1 with his .260 Rem (note ejecting spent brass)
    #6: Ed instructs Oliver on his wind calling for James, who in engaging targets from FP1
    #7: Ed again instructing Oliver, who is still calling wind for James; TRP 4 and 5 ~600 and 700 yds in background
    #8: Oliver and James engage targets from FP1; Oliver is working his custom .308 Win while James has his 5.56mm NATO SPR AR (which looks tiny next to the .308!)
    #9: Ed calling wind at FP1 for all three shooters simultaneously, each engaging a different target – that is 12 different wind speeds each at a different vector and continuously changing
    #10: Ed and James packing up FP1, heading to FP2
    #11: Ed preps Matt to fire from FP2; at this range, every variable must be considered if you want to hit
    #12: James preps his wind call at FP2 for Oliver, who is dialing data into his scope
    #13: final string of the training: James engaging target (circled in red) from FP2

Attachments

• CVT 01a.JPG
      CVT 01a.JPG
      118.4 KB · Views: 879
    • CVT 02a.JPG
      CVT 02a.JPG
      161.2 KB · Views: 811
    • CVT 03a.JPG
      CVT 03a.JPG
      96 KB · Views: 870
    • CVT 004a.JPG
      CVT 004a.JPG
      189.7 KB · Views: 888
    • CVT 05a.JPG
      CVT 05a.JPG
      168.6 KB · Views: 814
    • CVT 07a.JPG
      CVT 07a.JPG
      210.5 KB · Views: 900
    • CVT 08a.JPG
      CVT 08a.JPG
      166.9 KB · Views: 923
    • CVT 010a.JPG
      CVT 010a.JPG
      127.5 KB · Views: 863
    • CVT 06a.JPG
      CVT 06a.JPG
      195.4 KB · Views: 841
    • CVT 09a.JPG
      CVT 09a.JPG
      180.4 KB · Views: 990
    Last edited by a moderator:

JamesBailey

Form Factor'ed!
    Jan 28, 2010
    Arlington VA
    Photos continued

photos #11-13

Attachments

• CVT 011a.JPG
      CVT 011a.JPG
      128.2 KB · Views: 899
    • CVT 013a.JPG
      CVT 013a.JPG
      79.6 KB · Views: 771
    • CVT 012a.JPG
      CVT 012a.JPG
      152 KB · Views: 825
    Last edited by a moderator:

md_rick_o

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 30, 2008
    Severn Md.
    Good job and thanks for the write up. who knows maybe you have a future in info brochures. I couldn't even begin to see the targets at that distance.

2SAM22

Moderator Emeritus
    Apr 4, 2007
    Awesome write up. I miss stopping by Ed's old workplace and chatting. Great guy.

trebark

Hiding in plain sight
    Aug 3, 2009
    Falls Church, VA
    James:
    Great write up! Your account is spot-on although you give me too much credit for being the best student on our trip. I was fortunate to have a good rifle with a well developed load.

Like James I would encourage everyone to take a small group class with Ed. He will customize the 'curriculum' to your specific needs.

Here are a few more pics....

From FP1 with all targets circled

CVT0011.jpg

The hardware....

For those interested in the specs on the 260....

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f53/my-260-mcr-59628/

CVT014.jpg

James engaging targets from FP1 with his AR15 in 223. He does not give himself enough credit for shooting long-range with that rifle.

CVT006.jpg

Oliveralan

Nov 18, 2009
    McLean, Virginia
    James,

Excellent write up! What a trip! It was good fun and I learned a lot.

I cannot stress enough how useful this class was in learning to read wind!! Ed is a superb teacher and undoubtably one of the most knowledgable and experienced long range shooters, period.

Credits to Matt for the great photos!!

Thanks guys for an awsome weekend.

Oliver

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Likely not. I'm thinking that with today's kids and their cryptic lingo, it's probably complimentary. You know; "Bad" really meant good, "Sick" really means cool, so "useless" in this situation probably really means great. :thumbsup:

Thank you James, very nice write up! :cool:

trp7

Apr 3, 2009
    If you take this hobby serious then you need to spend some time with Ed on the range. The time will be a great investment regardless of your shooting experience level. I have known Ed for only a couple of years and have never been formally trained by him, but the knowledge I have gained just shooting with him has helped me tremendously. I can only imagine what I will learn when I finally take some classes and have one on one time with him.

Yoshi

Invictus
    Jun 9, 2010
    Someplace in Maryland
    Great write up! And you are right, Ed is an excellent trainer but more importantly, a great guy! I've trained with Ed twice and have another training session with him in October that I am looking forward to. Can't wait!

I am also interested in making the trip to the pan-handle for some training with Ed. So, if anyone needs another, let me know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    cfreeman818

Latest threads

Top Bottom