• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Full post here:

Loved the class. Learned some great new stuff at it. Highly recommend for anyone who's a serious competition shooter.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    i was shooting the actual match sunday. esp when that sun popped it was pretty nasty out there!

fyi they're having their 'points series' match there this weekend, basically an outlaw/fun uspsa match. i'm shooting it saturday morning.

AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    Somewhere on the James River, VA
    Last edited:

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    It's a lot harder than you'd think, but someone with your pistol background could do it with some practice. I can clear like 75% of it, but it's definitely not easy. Doubt I could ever do it unless I dedicated significant time.

Pretty sure I could do it cold right now. The only thing would be the tiny head shot might give me trouble without practicing.
    Shooting these type drills under time is fun and exciting for sure!

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I can't do the weak hand only, or the 6 A-zone shots in 6 sec @ 25.
    You absolutely can! If you can shoot 6 rounds at 7 yards, 25 is the same dang thing. There's literally no aiming. Pressing out, you are already there. It's just recoil control at that point.
    The issue with distance pistol, people let the brain get involved and screw things up. We start thinking and get all wonky :).

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    The real goal is getting the patch.
    You absolutely can! If you can shoot 6 rounds at 7 yards, 25 is the same dang thing. There's literally no aiming. Pressing out, you are already there. It's just recoil control at that point.
    The issue with distance pistol, people let the brain get involved and screw things up. We start thinking and get all wonky :).
    It's the whole drawing from the holster bit that screws people up, in my experience. You're really doing it in more 4.5 seconds (assuming you can draw and get an A-zone hit at 25 from the holster at 1.5s, which is a stretch for most people), and you better have gotten that grip right from the start or you're not doing it.

The strong hand weak hand part is also no joke. Even doing it dry is hard.

systemmaster

MDS Supporter
    Dec 31, 2009
    Lost
    Second that. Patches are for shooting the course, either the knight with pistol or rifle.

Coins are for winning competition during class.
    20230710_174820.jpg

20230710_174831.jpg

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Yep, I was thinking patch, but he earned a coin. I still haven't heard of anyone earning a patch.
    Someone did get the rifle patch, but I am not aware of anyone[1] getting the pistol patch. The difficulty is not just executing each segment, it's executing each segment and getting all four successfully completed in a row in front of an instructor for verification. You really have to practice for it, just like with the FAST coin, Turbo pin, MSP Black Belt patch, etc. It's not a coincidence that many (most?) of the people running around with MSP BB patches are professional pistol instructors.

[1] I feel like Josh Shaw might have done it, but I don't remember for sure.

AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    Somewhere on the James River, VA
    Someone did get the rifle patch, but I am not aware of anyone[1] getting the pistol patch. The difficulty is not just executing each segment, it's executing each segment and getting all four successfully completed in a row in front of an instructor for verification. You really have to practice for it, just like with the FAST coin, Turbo pin, MSP Black Belt patch, etc. It's not a coincidence that many (most?) of the people running around with MSP BB patches are professional pistol instructors.

[1] I feel like Josh Shaw might have done it, but I don't remember for sure.
    Yep, it would be a lot easier if you had all afternoon, but every shot has to be perfect. The website says Josh and Luke both earned it, but they are the only ones.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Yep, it would be a lot easier if you had all afternoon, but every shot has to be perfect. The website says Josh and Luke both earned it, but they are the only ones.
    Yeah, not only are they great shooters, but they get to practice for it a fair bit. Wouldn't shock me if Wampler and Hunter get on that list fairly soon.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    The 4 second, SHO/WHO string seems like the hardest. I don't know if I can even switch hands in 3 seconds.

scottyfz6

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2018
    OK, this guy actually earned the pistol patch. Only the third person to do so. When sh!t goes down, I want him on my team! :D

364809988_18279992869127358_4515946709068488291_n.jpg
    Well the funny one is they stripped him of hos patch today, he dropped his gun. They did give it back at the end of the day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom