• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    I just completed the Civilian Marksmanship Program Advanced Maintenance Class (AMC) for the M1 Garand (02/26/16 - 02/28/16). I highly recommend the class for anyone who wants to build an M1 Garand from the ground up and have a chance to customize/accurize it to your shooting needs. You can buy the M1 directly from CMP for less than the class but you do not get the joy of building it yourself.

The class is only offered at the CMP Custom Shop in Anniston, AL. The class covers the following:
    •Component purpose and function
    •Use of gauges
    •Commercial barrel installation, chambering and headspace
    •Component selection and inspection
    •Fitting and proper assembly of a complete CMP Special rifle
    •Some discussion of malfunctions and their remedies
    •Accurizing techniques for the M1

You also have direct access to the CMP G1 gunsmiths who teach the class and work with you to get your M1 Garand built to specification. Most of the parts used are from CMP stock. The stock is new and a new Criterion barrel is included. You do have the opportunity to custom fit the bolt and barrel to achieve the best fit possible.

The class runs about 3 days and includes visiting the CMP warehouses, operations center, and CMP store (open early for attendees). The cost is $1830 (includes donuts/coffee in the morning, lunch every day, snacks throughout the day, a t-shirt, and the rifle you build w/sling and had plastic case). Not cheap but I think the level and quality of instruction is worth the price.

I wish the CMP provided a hardcopy of the slides used or at least an online link to the PowerPoint and videos being used. The goal is to get them online at some point but for right now, take good notes. Also, while you are there, take a trip to the CMP Talladega Range (about 30 minutes away from the CMP Custom Shop).

I have attached a few pictures from the class.

Attachments

• IMG_0585.JPG
      IMG_0585.JPG
      46.5 KB · Views: 260
    • IMG_0597.JPG
      IMG_0597.JPG
      47.7 KB · Views: 261
    • IMG_0613.JPG
      IMG_0613.JPG
      51.9 KB · Views: 272
    • IMG_0612.JPG
      IMG_0612.JPG
      37.8 KB · Views: 267
    • IMG_0633.JPG
      IMG_0633.JPG
      57.4 KB · Views: 278
    • 0225161458.jpg
      0225161458.jpg
      61.4 KB · Views: 266
    Last edited:

rdc

Ultimate Member
    Dec 3, 2010
    Middlefingurton
    Nice. I didn't get to go to talladega. I did get to visit the Berman museum. Best $5 I've spent in a while. Anyone going to Anniston should check it out.

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    I hit up the Back Forty Beer Company in Gadsen (about 30 miles away) and the Cheaha Brewing Company in Anniston. Good beer and food at both.

Attachments

• IMG_0621.JPG
      IMG_0621.JPG
      38.8 KB · Views: 209
    • IMG_0624.JPG
      IMG_0624.JPG
      56.8 KB · Views: 207
    • IMG_0659.JPG
      IMG_0659.JPG
      39.9 KB · Views: 210
    • IMG_0734.JPG
      IMG_0734.JPG
      52.3 KB · Views: 310
    • IMG_0732.JPG
      IMG_0732.JPG
      47.3 KB · Views: 215

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    Is that the one where you basically get selected from a lottery type system to attend?

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    Yes it is. I have been applying for 5 years. On the plus side, they are offering more classes this year but a few have been set aside for 'buddy classes'. You increase your chances if you can be flexible about the dates you can attend.

CMP is also restricting applicants to new students (i.e. no one who has attended before). Check the CMP site (www.thecmp.org) for dates next year as I believe all the slots for this year are filled. Applications need to be in by November once the new dates are published. For more information, send an e-mail to Jeremy Coppock (program coordinator) jcoppock@thecmp.org.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    Thanks, I was wondering if that was an option. Though I learned a great deal from Ray Parkinson, I have been considering doing this at CMP.

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    Yes it is. I have been applying for 5 years. On the plus side, they are offering more classes this year but a few have been set aside for 'buddy classes'. You increase your chances if you can be flexible about the dates you can attend.

CMP is also restricting applicants to new students (i.e. no one who has attended before). Check the CMP site (www.thecmp.org) for dates next year as I believe all the slots for this year are filled. Applications need to be in by November once the new dates are published. For more information, send an e-mail to Jeremy Coppock (program coordinator) jcoppock@thecmp.org.

It's nice to see they are changing it up a bit. I was interested in going but got turned off with the lottery style selection.

I was going to to to this class this year, it's not a full on build but I think would give a good understanding of the rifle.

My summer plans got all screwed up with having to take classes over my break. I am going to just get to Nebraska this year for more 1911 training.

http://www.montgomery.edu/nra/courses.html

M1 Garand/M1A Accurizing: Isaac Mckaskill *Waitlisted
    June 13-17, 2016 (Monday-Friday 8:00 AM-6:00 PM)
    TOOL LIST

Cost: $201.60 (this includes one meal)
    This class will provide the information necessary to build a national match grade M1A or M1 Garand. Re-barreling, trigger jobs, stock bedding, as well as gas system and sight modifications will all be examined in detail.

rdc

Ultimate Member
    Dec 3, 2010
    Middlefingurton
    It's nice to see they are changing it up a bit. I was interested in going but got turned off with the lottery style selection.

I was going to to to this class this year, it's not a full on build but I think would give a good understanding of the rifle.

My summer plans got all screwed up with having to take classes over my break. I am going to just get to Nebraska this year for more 1911 training.

http://www.montgomery.edu/nra/courses.html

M1 Garand/M1A Accurizing: Isaac Mckaskill *Waitlisted
    June 13-17, 2016 (Monday-Friday 8:00 AM-6:00 PM)
    TOOL LIST

Cost: $201.60 (this includes one meal)
    This class will provide the information necessary to build a national match grade M1A or M1 Garand. Re-barreling, trigger jobs, stock bedding, as well as gas system and sight modifications will all be examined in detail.

The only reason for the lottery was the limited space. The class you were looking at seems to cover a lot of the same info but it looks like you need to provide more of your own stuff but it's cheaper. Probably worth a go.

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    The only reason for the lottery was the limited space. The class you were looking at seems to cover a lot of the same info but it looks like you need to provide more of your own stuff but it's cheaper. Probably worth a go.

I don't think the lottery system is a bad thing. It just doesn't work for me because I like to try and get everything laid out in advance so I can plan my time away.

The tools and stuff is a drawback on the classes in North Carolina and one of the reasons I didn't put in for this class. I didn't want to have to buy a bunch of stuff that I wouldn't be using much after the class. I have quite a bit of money invested in tools and really can't justify putting out much more. They just recently put out the tool list and as it happens, I have most of what would be required.

Not a big deal missing it though as I'll be taking classes half the summer here in Maryland.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom