AAR: Active Response Training Close Quarters Gunfighting (04/30/2023)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Thanks folks - I was very aware of that possibility with revolvers (hickok has a good you tube video discussing it), but was not aware it was possible with a slide. Ported barrel makes a lot of sense.
    The irony is that I shoot thumbs forward with my 9mm and 45 revolvers all the time. The cylinder gap thing is a little overhyped outside of true magnums or doing really dumb stuff.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Garet, you are good to go with stock barrel.

Erwos, I'll let you try that with my 640 sometime.....bet you only do it once!

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    With true magnums in there, yeah, I imagine i might learn my lesson quick.
    Yep. Fortunately for me, I learned to shoot J frames from a couple old time guys who taught me the thumbs down grip and the full finger through trigger guard, tip on left side plate, trigger manipulation. I run 158 full magnums in the gun with no loss of fingertip. One of those gentlemen demonstrated five out of five, times five iterations, on a BCZone at 50 yds with 158s out of his 649. I was more than slightly impressed.

I don't suggest that most people carry magnums in a midget gun. Full disclosure.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The irony is that I shoot thumbs forward with my 9mm and 45 revolvers all the time. The cylinder gap thing is a little overhyped outside of true magnums or doing really dumb stuff.

You must have short thumbs . I've seen really nasty 3rd degree burns from B/C flash .

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    You must have short thumbs . I've seen really nasty 3rd degree burns from B/C flash .
    Erwos is not a huge guy, neither am I. I don't recall if his hands would be medium or large gloves as it has been a few years since the time we met. I wear mediums tight and larges a bit loose.

I need to run thumbs down on my 357 mag j frames. I can go forward (but don't) on the 38s and just get nasty from the lead lube (black thumb). It's not that bad.

On my N frames, I can run thumbs forward and barely get any black thumb with the 45 and 44 chambered guns. Either Bang Inc. Cocobolo stocks or hogue rubbers.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I'm using 929s and 625s here, which are big old N-frames firing 9 and 45. The chamber being fired is considerably further from the bottom of the cylinder than on something like a J-frame. If I ever got really serious about the game, I'd wear a glove on my support hand, too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom