AAPD told me not to carry on my own property...

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

chale127

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2008
    Brooklyn, MD
    They refused to show a badge until i opened so how do i know any different? The SGT was actually quite interested and said he would discuss the matter with the officers involved.

you mean the one on their chest wasn't enough? they DID tell you they were in uniform, ONE of them was in plain sight
    #2 you were asked to ground your weapon for THEIR safety
    #3 when you finally did ground your weapon there wasn't even a round in the chamber so what did you really think you were going to do? throw it at someone?

I just happen to be very good friends with one of the officers that responded, and you aren't exactly telling the WHOLE story

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Just sounds to me you are a zealous gun owner and really, really wanted to approach what you thought was a break in and " get you some".
    911 is not your personal dispatch radio to tell the operator what you are doing and that you are 10-7 on the scene. Telling them does not make your actions safe or "ok" to continue with until "back up arrives".

Being legally armed your property is fine and THE POLICE KNOW THIS. You are trying to hide behind it as your shield for YOUR inappropriate, unsafe actions and shame on you trying to turn it around on the responding Officers as their fault.
    The cops know how to handle calls for service and have performed more of them than you have called in.
    Speaking of calls, I would be curious to see how many 911 calls you have from your cell phone alerting the police to traffic issues, dui's, etc.....

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    you mean the one on their chest wasn't enough? they DID tell you they were in uniform, ONE of them was in plain sight
    #3 when you finally did ground your weapon there wasn't even a round in the chamber so what did you really think you were going to do? throw it at someone?

I just happen to be very good friends with one of the officers that responded, and you aren't exactly telling the WHOLE story

Oh snap! :)

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    I think the small part you are leaving out is the fact you feel the police should know you. Indicating you've had several previous contacts with them.

General rule of thumb...if the police know you personally from the amount of 911 calls you make then you have issues not the police.

chale127

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2008
    Brooklyn, MD
    Just sounds to me you are a zealous gun owner and really, really wanted to approach what you thought was a break in and " get you some".
    911 is not your personal dispatch radio to tell the operator what you are doing and that you are 10-7 on the scene. Telling them does not make your actions safe or "ok" to continue with until "back up arrives".

Being legally armed your property is fine and THE POLICE KNOW THIS. You are trying to hide behind it as your shield for YOUR inappropriate, unsafe actions and shame on you trying to turn it around on the responding Officers as their fault.
    The cops know how to handle calls for service and have performed more of them than you have called in.
    Speaking of calls, I would be curious to see how many 911 calls you have from your cell phone alerting the police to traffic issues, dui's, etc.....

I would almost think you were there....but at the least you "get" it

jmiller320

Ultimate Member
    Aug 7, 2008
    Havre de Grace
    Your lucky the cops didn't bust a cap in your ass. First thing I would do is move out of Crofton if it's as bad as you describe and you feel the need to carry in your house.

T-Man

Ultimate Member
    Jul 23, 2010
    Catonsville
    I have to admit I am fascinated by this thread.

Question for the recent arrivals: What's wrong with calling 911 as much as necessary -- for DUI's, break ins or otherwise.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie

Question for the recent arrivals: What's wrong with calling 911 as much as necessary -- for DUI's, break ins or otherwise.

For me, it shows some sort of baseline behavior about someone and their habits. That's all. It tells a lot. Nothing wrong with it when it really is warranted but some people might be a little "enthusiastic".

Sent from somewhere in the world using Tapatalk

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.

Oops, there it is! Oops, there it is! Oops, there it is! :party29:

iobidder

1 point'er
    Nov 11, 2011
    Everywhere
    OP, 4AM was the time I was replying, and tired, but I couldn't understand based on the grammar used, what you were trying to say.

OH, and I was working...sorry for the crytic reply. Still you aren't making any sense.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central

There's nothing wrong with it.

But how many legit times in your life have you called 911? For me it's less then 6 times....and most have been car accidents I've witnessed.

When you make enough calls where the police have a rapport with you that's not normal. Even in the ghetto I'd doubt you are making enough calls where the police hear your address and think "oh great".

It also creates a boy who cried wolf issue....when something actually does happen dont expect the police to put their coffee down since the last 10 times they were there it was nothing.

TopShot0352

Feb 5, 2011
    Gettysburg
    I think I saw the OP's car the other day...
    articles_police_021612.jpg

article-1303803952565-0BC3BD8900000578-55661_466x310.jpg

slog403

May 11, 2011
    Crofton

I invite you to come over and check out my view then to see there was no easy way for me to identify friend or foe knocking. They were both in a blind spot. If you truly know them their SGT is going to follow up with them and me.

Maybe PM me his (The SGT) last name if you think you know them, as I did talk with him for 45 minutes and he came to the understanding that dispatch had a breakdown in communication with the officers.

Regarding a chambered round -- PM me the type of weapon along with the SGT's name if you wish to know whether or not I carry it chambered and why.

I won't call them out in public until a proper follow up has been done as the fine SGT promised. He took my complete info and seemed sincere so benefit of the doubt for now.

As far as other questions regarding past calls, I've lived where I lived for a long time. Total calls at this address? Maybe 6 but even that is pushing it. When I use to live in Baltimore City I had to call at least that number of times for people breaking into my car, and hit and runs alone all investigated and substantial.

Nothing has ever been "cried wolf" the officers responding even cited the "cried wolf" scenario and even went so far as to infer possible false police reports. This is not the case. I took their advice and reported to the leasing authority and those people had me on hold forever and nothing happened.

Regarding moving, maybe I will when my lease is up, and maybe it will be out of MD to a more friendly state. Maybe I'll move offline and not support MSI, MDS, and SAF if some of these responses are really true. When I did ground the weapon it was by no means "finally" as you stretch it out to sound, it was in fact immediatly once I had visual confirmation they were there, and I did so on my property per their instruction in less then 10 seconds.

Come get to know me, I'm not a bad guy but do look out for them. How many times have you heard officers say "let us deal with it." That's all I did, and their interest was in me not even the call which was misreported over dispatch.

scrovak

Back in the "Free" State
    May 2, 2011
    They refused to show a badge until i opened so how do i know any different? The SGT was actually quite interested and said he would discuss the matter with the officers involved.

I didn't see anyone else touch on this, so I'll go ahead and call this out. Joppaj, please feel free to expound upon procedures I may not be aware of.

Personally, I think this is absolutely ludicrous, to be a LEO and refuse to show your badge or ID yourself beyond verbally until someone opens the door. If someone came to my door like that, I would immediately think they were on par with the fake police home invaders that have happened all over the state.

LEOs, is this protocol? If so, as a private citizen answering the door, what's the best way to respond?

If I responded as follows, how much shit would I be in?
    "I'm sorry officers, I am a legally armed individual, but I do not feel comfortable opening the door without seeing a badge. Please hold your badges to the [Peephole/window] and I'll make safe my weapon and open the door."

haoleboy

1/2 Banned
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 17, 2005
    Dentsville

#1 Do you know the OP or are you just calling him a liar because your cop buddy always tells the truth?
    #2 If I am LEGALLY carrying a gun for my safety, I shouldn't have to "ground my weapon" for their safety. If I have to disarm, so should they for my safety.
    #3 You chastise the guy for having the gun on when the cops arrived and then criticize his method of carry.

Why should anyone here believe you or your cop friends story? :sad20:

slog403

May 11, 2011
    Crofton
    I didn't see anyone else touch on this, so I'll go ahead and call this out. Joppaj, please feel free to expound upon procedures I may not be aware of.

Personally, I think this is absolutely ludicrous, to be a LEO and refuse to show your badge or ID yourself beyond verbally until someone opens the door. If someone came to my door like that, I would immediately think they were on par with the fake police home invaders that have happened all over the state.

LEOs, is this protocol? If so, as a private citizen answering the door, what's the best way to respond?

If I responded as follows, how much shit would I be in?
    "I'm sorry officers, I am a legally armed individual, but I do not feel comfortable opening the door without seeing a badge. Please hold your badges to the [Peephole/window] and I'll make safe my weapon and open the door."

Exactly my concern and if you know the past history of the other property involved this would be even more so.

Anyone that truly questions my actions PM me the details of the call before, i.e. length of time since last call, location it referenced, whether or not I was armed, etc. If you know the one detail dispatch had to call back for that time I will know you really know the full story and aren't making up BS.

To those that have provided supporting comments thank you. I honestly didn't expect so much negativity from MDS...maybe MD is really the problem.

haoleboy

1/2 Banned
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 17, 2005
    Dentsville
    Your lucky the cops didn't bust a cap in your ass. First thing I would do is move out of Crofton if it's as bad as you describe and you feel the need to carry in your house.
    I think you would be surprised of how many people on this forum carry at home.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    incase

Latest threads

Top Bottom