• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • May 17, 2013
    I am sorry if this has been answered elsewhere, but I searched the forum from Google and was unable to find the answer to my question.

When I was filling out my background check forms and application today I encountered a possible problem.

The problem is is that I have a very long name and it does not all fit onto my drivers license. Technically, I have two first names, a middle name, and two last names that are hyphenated (yay! for latino heritage). I am worried, because often times people assume that my second first name is a middle name and write it as such. While I wrote it correctly on my application it did not match my drivers license, because they could not fit my entire name on there. I am worried about it being rejected over that.

Does that sound possible or likely?

The MVA has everything correct in their system, but it does not match the license itself.

I am background checked constantly, 6 times in the past year alone, and it has never been a problem, but I know that they are really trying to slow down people's ability to buy guns and anything that can give them a reason to reject, they will.

Help!

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    i have long name also.. but they manage to put all of it on my dl.

if you going apply again.. write the same name on the dl. and add your ss to clear up confusion.

May 17, 2013
    I have a total of 31 letters between my first names and my last names, they are able to do it on my license with only cutting off one letter of my first name and removing the hyphen from my last name.

I gave them my SS number, the SS administration has it just fine.

Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    I have 16 letters in my names, but that is counting the spaces. I bet you just loved the standardized testing when you were a kid. I bet you wore out a pencil just filling in the circles.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    I have a total of 31 letters between my first names and my last names, they are able to do it on my license with only cutting off one letter of my first name and removing the hyphen from my last name.

I gave them my SS number, the SS administration has it just fine.

OK.. you got me beat by 5letters. Lol

May 17, 2013
    I am just so worried that it will cause a delay or for me to be rejected. I think I would die a little bit inside if I waited two months, only to be rejected for a misspelled name or something.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    I have some friends from Thailand who may have both of you beat. Their names look like someone just threw the entire scrabble board out there and randomly put them in some order. Of course they all go by some first name like Billy or Sam or something.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    If you have not had a problem before, you will probably not have a problem again. That is, if the previous background checks you mention were firearms background checks. If not, they who knows. Put your SSN on the form and see what happens. If you are really worried, call the MSP office on Monday and ask THEM.

They are not slowing down the process, they are just overwhelmed with all the people buying guns.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Try being an Army brat who was born overseas. Try getting the NICS people to find where you were born on a map. Good luck getting the NICS people to understand what U.S. Territory means. I think Global Map Reading 101 and U.S. History 101 should be required reading for NICS people.

May 17, 2013
    My background checks have all been work related. I work in healthcare and I am in graduate school and I have had to be background checked multiple times since April of 2012.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom