• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BelAirSteve

Apr 17, 2009
    Bel Air, MD
    So this happened on Friday on my way into work. Driving on Rt. 7 in White Marsh, stopped at a red light with a Balto Co marked vehicle behind me. When the light turned green and I proceeded through the intersection, he pulled me over. Very nice, professional, explaining that he pulled me over for expired registration. I had the paper in my truck with me, but for some reason in my head, I thought it was November, but it was August. He asked for license, registration, POI and this is when explained that I was a conceal carry permit holder and I was in fact carrying. He said "No problem, where is it?" - "Appendix" I said - "Ok, I see it now, just go ahead and reach for your wallet, no problem." He then obviously asked for my permit also.

He took my papers, came back to my truck, and said this - my best attempt at a direct quote, but some paraphrasing included I'm sure:

"I'm giving you a warning today, it hasn't been very long, just get that renewal taken care of as soon as you can. And hey, I want to thank you for being an upright citizen and exercising your right to defend yourself. I appreciate you."

I told him that meant a lot coming from someone that does what he does, hold told me to have a nice day, then put his hand out to shake my hand. An overwhelmingly positive experience.

Question for the board - I have his name and badge number from the warning. I really want to write a letter to his CO and compliment him, but I feel like I shouldn't bring up the carry issue, or just stick to the basics.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    Write the letter complimenting him on the professional encounter, his good manners, etc. Leave the gun stuff out, that can only hurt him down the road.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    Yes. Vague praise of his professionalism without any details that could get him in trouble is probably best.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Tell them you appreciate the way he celebrated your transition, used your correct pronouns, and even gave you some useful tips on tucking.

He'll probably get a promotion.

Seriously, I appreciate your sharing that story. It makes me feel better. It's good to get some encouragement from the LEOs.

By the way, 8 posts in 14 years? Don't be a stranger.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Tell them you appreciate the way he celebrated your transition, used your correct pronouns, and even gave you some useful tips on tucking.

He'll probably get a promotion.

Seriously, I appreciate your sharing that story. It makes me feel better. It's good to get some encouragement from the LEOs.

By the way, 8 posts in 14 years? Don't be a stranger.
    This had me chuckling. Thanks

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    Would have you even posted this if you didn't tell him you were armed?
    He'd probably have been locked up.

Our Sheriff in Harford has asked on facebook that we inform his deputies if we are carrying when they stop us. I don't blame him for asking. :shrug: I figure I just won't let them stop me. ;)

We consider him a friend to 2A and America (as much as any cop can be, I guess) and see him periodically at local political fundraisers. He probably wouldn't know my name, but he would (and does) definitely recognize me as someone he's seen and talked to before, especially if my wife is there. I know I've shaken his hand at least once in the past year without blurting out, "I'm packin' a Roscoe heater on my hip!" :o Teehee!

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    Glad you had a positive interaction with law enforcement while carrying. Since this is a gun forum, and this topic has been discussed ad nauseum throughout these boards, I suppose I’ll be that guy and ask you.....”Why did you feel the need to self-offer that information to the officer when you’re not legally required to do so in Maryland?”

Others will be along to expand on my sentiment, some funny, and some rather demeaning, but they’ll be along shortly....

BelAirSteve

Apr 17, 2009
    Bel Air, MD
    Glad you had a positive interaction with law enforcement while carrying. Since this is a gun forum, and this topic has been discussed ad nauseum throughout these boards, I suppose I’ll be that guy and ask you.....”Why did you feel the need to self-offer that information to the officer when you’re not legally required to do so in Maryland?”

Others will be along to expand on my sentiment, some funny, and some rather demeaning, but they’ll be along shortly....
    If this has been discussed ad nauseum, I'll be that guy and ask you "why did you feel the need to respond to my post?" Criticizing people for participating in a discussion forum for actually participating always make me chuckle. I posted it because I am a new carrier and I thought others would find my experience interesting. Seems that some did. AND, I asked a question because I was interested to hear what others might do, or have done, in my situation.

Thanks to everyone who provided feedback.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    If this has been discussed ad nauseum, I'll be that guy and ask you "why did you feel the need to respond to my post?" Criticizing people for participating in a discussion forum for actually participating always make me chuckle. I posted it because I am a new carrier and I thought others would find my experience interesting. Seems that some did. AND, I asked a question because I was interested to hear what others might do, or have done, in my situation.

Thanks to everyone who provided feedback.
    I’m not at all criticizing, I’m asking a serious question. Since it isn’t required by MD law, why did you do it? It’s an honest question that wasn’t intended to illicit any butt hurt.

Like I said, the criticism will probably follow shortly, much as it had in the multiple other threads that discussed this topic. Gotta say, overwhelmingly the comments of those threads supported the “none of the cop’s business unless he asks” variety. This is why I’m curious, why did you decide to disclose it yourself?

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    I really appreciate the OP sharing his story.

The decision to inform or not is personal. There may be good reasons for either choice. I'm glad the OP decided to inform, because it led to the LEO expressing a very positive reaction to civilian carry.

We're not REQUIRED to inform, but we certainly may if we chose to do so. No law AGAINST it.

Some may do it to get out of a ticket. I hear a lot of stories like this one, where the cop expresses his appreciation and writes a warning instead of a ticket. Pretty cagy of the concealed carrier!

Some may do it because they think it's highly possible the cop will see the gun, and noone wants any surprises in these situations.

I almost never get pulled over (last time was c. March of 2019), but my plan is to say nothing unless I think my gun might be seen for whatever reason. Then I'll say something like, "By the way, I have a Wear and Carry Permit, and I am carrying right now."

I've heard it's a Bad Idea to use the word "gun" in these situations. Supposedly there's a hopefully small minority of LEOs who might freak out when they hear the "g" word.

Sounds like this guy was cool, so that's good to hear.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    I really appreciate the OP sharing his story.

The decision to inform or not is personal. There may be good reasons for either choice. I'm glad the OP decided to inform, because it led to the LEO expressing a very positive reaction to civilian carry.

We're not REQUIRED to inform, but we certainly may if we chose to do so. No law AGAINST it.

Some may do it to get out of a ticket. I hear a lot of stories like this one, where the cop expresses his appreciation and writes a warning instead of a ticket. Pretty cagy of the concealed carrier!

Some may do it because they think it's highly possible the cop will see the gun, and noone wants any surprises in these situations.

I almost never get pulled over (last time was c. March of 2019), but my plan is to say nothing unless I think my gun might be seen for whatever reason. Then I'll say something like, "By the way, I have a Wear and Carry Permit, and I am carrying right now."

I've heard it's a Bad Idea to use the word "gun" in these situations. Supposedly there's a hopefully small minority of LEOs who might freak out when they hear the "g" word.

Sounds like this guy was cool, so that's good to hear.
    I think that is a pragmatic assessment. If LEO ain't gonna know, LEO don't need to know. But...if LEO is going to see it, it's probably best that he hears about it first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom