A gun you've shipped back to the manufacturer for service goes missing in transit, then what..??

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Has anyone here had something like this happen..?? What are your obligations under the law etc..??
    It would make sense to me to report it to whomever it needs to be reported to. I would assume you had it shipped in a way that at the very least you had tracking on it. This is what I would do:

1. Report it to the shipping agency - USPS, UPS, FED EX, etc.
    2. Report it to whatever law enforcement agency you think would need to know.

At the very least, start making phone calls. If you call and they say, "we don't handle that," then you can say, "so who does?" And then go from there.

That's what I'd do.

Shoobedoo

US Army Veteran
    Jun 1, 2013
    Keyser WV
    It would make sense to me to report it to whomever it needs to be reported to. I would assume you had it shipped in a way that at the very least you had tracking on it. This is what I would do:

1. Report it to the shipping agency - USPS, UPS, FED EX, etc.
    2. Report it to whatever law enforcement agency you think would need to know.

At the very least, start making phone calls. If you call and they say, "we don't handle that," then you can say, "so who does?" And then go from there.

That's what I'd do.

Thanks, and obviously yes. :thumbsup:

Hopefully someone who has had an actual experience with this kind of thing might chime in with some specifics.

LAC_MD

Oct 18, 2022
    Towson
    kinda item tracking showed lost in transit. Contacted manufacturer and MSP. MSP said to hold on to the shipping info and documentation. Manufacturer said they would refund my money and send documentation that I returned with serial number and date.

Shoobedoo

US Army Veteran
    Jun 1, 2013
    Keyser WV
    kinda item tracking showed lost in transit. Contacted manufacturer and MSP. MSP said to hold on to the shipping info and documentation. Manufacturer said they would refund my money and send documentation that I returned with serial number and date.

Thanks.

I wasn't aware of any shipper I have used (USPS, FedEx or UPS) ever having a "lost in transit" message when you enter a tracking number, it just shows the last location, or "out for delivery" and stuff like that, but never "lost".

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    If the manufacturer provided you the label, they're the ones on the hook for dealing with insurance, etc. Presumably, they will make you whole.

If it was your label, 1) you need to deal with the insurance claim, and 2) you better hope you complied with all the shipper's rules and regulations with shipping.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Thanks, and obviously yes. :thumbsup:

Hopefully someone who has had an actual experience with this kind of thing might chime in with some specifics.
    I guess I wasn't sure what you were looking for. It seemed pretty obvious to me, i.e., work various angles of the problem until the problem is resolved, calling whoever needs to be called until you get it figured it out.

Have I lost a gun that I'd shipped while in transit? No, but I would tend to think that it's not a common problem so if/when it has occurred for someone else, their experience is likely to be specific to their own situation, and therefore this is something you'll probably have to figure out on your own.

Shoobedoo

US Army Veteran
    Jun 1, 2013
    Keyser WV
    If the manufacturer provided you the label, they're the ones on the hook for dealing with insurance, etc. Presumably, they will make you whole.

If it was your label, 1) you need to deal with the insurance claim, and 2) you better hope you complied with all the shipper's rules and regulations with shipping.

It's my label, USPS signature confirmation. The tracking number is just showing "Awaiting Delivery Scan" after originally showing "Out for Delivery"

It's not a red light emergency yet, and i'll give it a few more days to see if it gets delivered or not, but I just want to be prepared to deal with things if it eventually becomes a "lost in the mail" kind of situation.

Thanks for everyone's ideas and suggestions.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I wouldn't freak out about that status quite yet. Sometimes the guy doing delivery just forgets to scan it.

Zaicran

MDS Supporter
    Sep 26, 2010
    Morganza, MD
    It's my label, USPS signature confirmation. The tracking number is just showing "Awaiting Delivery Scan" after originally showing "Out for Delivery"

It's not a red light emergency yet, and i'll give it a few more days to see if it gets delivered or not, but I just want to be prepared to deal with things if it eventually becomes a "lost in the mail" kind of situation.

Thanks for everyone's ideas and suggestions.
    I understand your sensitivity with this...I went through that when I shipped my rifle back to Remington. It was their label and box, but yeah...out for deliveyr then waiting for scan...

Contact the destination so they expect it.

Shoobedoo

US Army Veteran
    Jun 1, 2013
    Keyser WV
    I understand your sensitivity with this...I went through that when I shipped my rifle back to Remington. It was their label and box, but yeah...out for deliveyr then waiting for scan...

Contact the destination so they expect it.

Been there and done that, this was all set up through their warranty service dept.

I'll give it another day or so and if the tracking message hasn't changed i'll call the manufacturers service center and see if they got it. They knew it was coming so it's in their records and my email chain.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Contact the USPS and let them know that you are informing the BATF and the FBI of a missing firearm. You'd be amazed at how fast they can find a missing firearm when told of your plans.

Zaicran

MDS Supporter
    Sep 26, 2010
    Morganza, MD
    It was shipped USPS, though i'm sure they have some thieves as well.
    USPS has been the worst lately. I had a package wrongly delivered to my neighbors house (who was on vacation) and the tracking said I signed for it..only reason I found it was my neighbor called me and asked me to grab the box on their porch because their Ring camera picked up on the drop off. They weren't expecting anything.... walla, it was for me. It would have made it to me eventually anyway...great neighbors.

Shoobedoo

US Army Veteran
    Jun 1, 2013
    Keyser WV
    USPS? Probably just lost. Give it another couple months and see if it shows up.
    ;)

Yeah it's a firearm so if it doesn't show up soon I am going to have to report it as lost/potentially stolen to someone, i'm just not real clear who that someone is, but perhaps it's the ATF, I don't know...

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    Yeah it's a firearm so if it doesn't show up soon I am going to have to report it as lost/potentially stolen to someone, i'm just not real clear who that someone is, but perhaps it's the ATF, I don't know...
    Cover your bases and contact MSP, ATF and the postal inspector.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom