• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CoulReese

Sep 28, 2016
    This might seem like something that is not too much of a problem but it is for me. After googling for the best compact rifle scope I found out most reviews cannot offer what I'm looking for. The very first one, for instance, does offer some good scopes, like the Leupold scope, but the problem is, they are kind of expensive. I don't think I can afford a two thousand rifle scope. One would think it's just me being particularly unlicky but the rest of the pages weren't helpful either. Not even Amazon, the page that came up with the rest of the lot was not even relevant.

So I've decided to ask for help instead. Can anyone recommend something?

DJones2987

Dec 6, 2016
    Hagerstown
    Compact and AR10 don't usually go together lol. They're usually quite heavy and large.

What's your purpose for the rifle? Range you're looking to shoot? I hunt and shoot 0-250 yds or so. I have a Vortex Strike eagle on my 6.8 AR and am more than happy with it. It's a 1-6x24. Think it cost around $350.

callidus

May 21, 2013
    Maryland
    'Compact' and 'AR-10' go together about as well as 'tiny' and 'elephant'. DJones was on point - what's your purpose for the rifle? What magnification are you looking for?

For reasonably priced optics, Vortex has some good offerings. Nikon as well - I love the M223 but wasn't crazy about the M308; their Prostaff 7 series had pretty good glass though for a budget scope. Edit: some of the Bushnells aren't bad either.

Whatever you get, try a bass pro/cabelas/gander mtn/etc and look through it before you buy. Looking at specs on the Internet is one thing, looking through the glass is another.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    Depending on what your plan for the rifle is, I have found Primary Arms products to stand up well to .308 recoil. If you're planning on using the rifle to defend your life, you may want to consider something a bit more robust, but for medium heavy range use and hunting through thick woods, they do fine. The glass is good FOR THE PRICE. I have a 4-14FFP on a .308 rifle that has lasted well for a bit over two and a half years so far. No complaints, gets me out to 500 yards well enough. Just finally joined a range that lets you shoot out to 1000 yards, so I guess I'll see how it works for that. I plan to replace this optic with better glass eventually, but I like it enough that I'll for sure keep it around to slap on another rifle.

Additionally I have a 1-6 that I've had on a 5.56 DMR type build since that optic came out, and I have beat on that one pretty hard with no issues. It's holding up well enough that I'm thinking about putting a PA 1-8 on a .308 large frame AR I'm building.

http://www.primaryarms.com/Brand+Primary-Arms/MCategories+Optics?show=96

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Anything in 1-6x Just depends on how deep your pockets are. There are plenty in the $250-$350 price range.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Burris used to carry a Short Magnum scope series, then they moved the production to China and renamed it the Timberline. I have one of the original US made ones. Nice scope.

Major03

Ultimate Member
    OP, in order to best help you I think we need a little more information.

You said compact scope...but I think you may want to start by asking yourself some other questions first (or sharing with us you're reasoning as to a compact scope). Depending on the answers, compact may not be the best choice and which one we'd recommend (compact or not) will depend on a better understanding of your wants/desires too.

1) What do you plan on using your .308 AR-10 for? Hunting? If so, what are you hunting? Plinking / target shooting? If so, at what ranges? If you're a 200 yds or less shooter, you're in a very different category than someone routinely shooting more than 600 yds, where glass quality makes a MUCH bigger difference. Home defense? Something where you're going to be able to engage targets quickly? 3 gun competition? Anyway...you get where I'm going here.

2) Budget? Based on your posting, I'm guessing you're not a "spare no expense, I'm looking for the best money can buy...bring on the Hendsolts and Schmidt and Benders!!!!" guy. But I also don't think you're looking for something that's the cheapest thing on the market you could pick up at Wal-Mart this afternoon...so I get a sense you're a "what's the best value out there" guy? All assumptions on my part though. My experience with optics is that you definitely get what you pay for in some form or fashion.

Good rule of thumb...cheaper scopes with tons of features like parallax adjustment and illuminated reticles pretty much translate to shitty glass (comparatively) and poor Chinese construction. Cheaper scopes with less features and bells and whistles, constructed pretty much anywhere other than China tend to be better glass...again comparatively. Glass quality makes a bigger and bigger difference the further out you shoot, and also if you plan on shooting in less than optimal light conditions (like dawn / dusk on a hunt).

Another rule of thumb...I recommend avoiding scopes named after birds of prey. They generally fall into the first category I described above.

One last thought, it's helpful to be honest about what kind of shooter you are / what kind of shooting you're going to be doing. Everyone likes to think of themselves as Jack Reacher, Bob Lee Swagger or Sheriff Rick Grimes...but the reality is the VAST majority of folks (myself included now) are just recreational shooters that don't really need professional level gear in order to enjoy some bench shooting at the AGC ranges in Marriotsville on a pleasant weekend.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    What are your intended use(s) for the rifle?????

With that said, I've used Leupold scopes, and they are fantastic scopes.

I've still got one or two, and like them a lot.

However!!!!!!! For the money, you can't go wrong with a Nikon ProStaff series scope, or the Monarch.

One of the best (and repeatable) scopes I've used, is the Nikon BuckMasters (early model).

Vortex scopes get real good reviews, and just about everybody likes their Lifetime, No questions asked warranty.

Find a scope that you like. Save up the $$$, and buy it.

Last edited:

DE21740

Dec 2, 2016

F2S

Oct 24, 2013
    I have been very happy with my nikon p300 for my 300 blackout. The glass is clear and has worked well for me. I believe they are around $200

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    Depending on what your plan for the rifle is, I have found Primary Arms products to stand up well to .308 recoil. If you're planning on using the rifle to defend your life, you may want to consider something a bit more robust, but for medium heavy range use and hunting through thick woods, they do fine. The glass is good FOR THE PRICE. I have a 4-14FFP on a .308 rifle that has lasted well for a bit over two and a half years so far. No complaints, gets me out to 500 yards well enough. Just finally joined a range that lets you shoot out to 1000 yards, so I guess I'll see how it works for that. I plan to replace this optic with better glass eventually, but I like it enough that I'll for sure keep it around to slap on another rifle.

Additionally I have a 1-6 that I've had on a 5.56 DMR type build since that optic came out, and I have beat on that one pretty hard with no issues. It's holding up well enough that I'm thinking about putting a PA 1-8 on a .308 large frame AR I'm building.

http://www.primaryarms.com/Brand+Primary-Arms/MCategories+Optics?show=96

As much as I like Burris optics, i think my next optic is the PA 1-8. Great reviews and a great price :thumbsup:

Kiwiknoll

Jan 16, 2015
    Clarksville md
    I have Vortex Viper HS 5-15x44 + SWFA mount on my ar10. It is pretty huge, but sits wekk and with harris bipod it has reach and works well for my aging eyes.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    Sun Optics (who has supported the forum with a number of giveaways for members) has a very nice 3-9x40AO called the "Shorty Forty" that is shortened up for AR mounting. They do it in a BDC and a mildot reticle and it's now glass-etched, not wire crosshairs. Though even the old wire version held up to .308 nicely. Not bad for around a hundred bucks.

61iTvhCQ59L._SL1500_.jpg

EKing

NRA Benefactor
    Aug 12, 2016
    Sykesville
    I've got a compact Leupold scope on my DPMS GII 308. This particular scope was designed for 5.56 AR's, but works quite nicely for me and is around $500 but without the illuminated dot is much less. I only punch holes in paper and occasionally ring steel at 100 yards with this setup, so can't speak to its effectiveness beyond 100.....yet.
    IMG_20170127_210415_217.jpg
    IMG_20170127_210823_439.jpg

retafshooter

Apr 28, 2014
    West Elkridge
    I just outfitted my new DPMS Panther Oracle 308 with a Nikon ProStaff 4-12 x 40 Black Matte Riflescope (BDC). I don't think it is considered a "compact" scope however. Only had one range visit so far, but I like the way it fits my AR10 and the way it shoots so far. Only shot it at 50 & 100 yards so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Shive62

Latest threads

Top Bottom