• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    -While on the hunt for a Luftwaffe issue Femaru 37M pistol a Femaru of a different stripe showed up in a Google search in a PA auction. As well versed as I am on .22 training rifles this was a critter that I had never heard of. So I started an online search for info. Lucky me there was one solid source that I had used many times before: Manowar's hungariae.com site. He had recently assembled the only info on the Frommer designed, Femaru built Kispuska series of .22 training rifles built from 1929 to 1965.
    -The few accounts I could find describe the heavy barreled Kispuska as very accurate. There was little interest leading up to the live auction and absolutely no comps so with nothing to guide me on value I threw a very conservative (aka el cheap-o) bid and got it for even less than that. When that happens I generally get nervous, wondering why the live bidders weren't interested. Figure they might see something that doesn't show up in photos or the description.
    -In this case it was a coal mine of a bore. The previous owner was just plain lazy and hadn't cleaned it in who-knows how long. Took quite a while to scrub clean but it did turn out just fine. Between the very heavy barrel, a good trigger and decent sights it should perform well. A receiver mounted rear sight is my only wish. But considering that the Hungarians were looking to train troops to transition to their Mannlicher centerfire rifles that tangent sight is appropriate.
    -This example is the 38M version, built from 1938 -1941, one of about 25,000. The serial number dates it to 1938, one of the early 38Ms. These were never exported, the only venue being GI bring-backs, taken from surrendering Hungarian forces who fled West to escape capture by the Russians.

Attachments

• IMGP0166.JPG
      IMGP0166.JPG
      103.1 KB · Views: 42
    • IMGP0167.JPG
      IMGP0167.JPG
      110 KB · Views: 46
    • IMGP0164.JPG
      IMGP0164.JPG
      279.8 KB · Views: 46
    • IMGP0161.JPG
      IMGP0161.JPG
      304.3 KB · Views: 49
    • IMGP0163.JPG
      IMGP0163.JPG
      152.5 KB · Views: 49
    • IMGP0165.JPG
      IMGP0165.JPG
      201.1 KB · Views: 48

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Mawkie... you constantly challenge me to up my game. Hat tip, sir.
    Thank you! Purely a bit of luck on my part. What amazes me is that nearly 100,000 of this series were produced but very few have found their way to our shores. You would think that some would have been exported after the Iron Curtain fell but no such luck.
    I wish mine still had the bolt-on front sight hood. Something I'll never be able to find out in the wild.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom