• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    A local guy got these from his late father and having no real interest in them accepted my offer for them as "parts guns" (which they basically are). I'm not sure that I'll be able to locate or be willing to pay the price for the parts necessary to make these complete, but they are interesting for what they are at the present time.

I'm still researching these, but any additional info would be appreciated. These are the first of either type that I've owned.

One is an 1871 model Swiss Vetterli. It unfortunately has had the forestock chopped, but that appears to have been fairly common for this model rifle. Anyone have some extra furniture? It looks like I could buy a complete rifle in VG condition for what it would cost to put this one back together.

The second one is an Egyptian Police shotgun with a Snider action on it (top, in the first photo). The firing pin, spring, and converted nipple that serves as a guide are missing from this one. So are the cleaning rod tray and cleaning rod, but that also appears to have been pretty common for the Egyptian police conversions. The tray and rod just got in the way when carrying this gun and made it uncomfortable to shoulder.

Anyone able to translate Arabic?

Attachments

• Snider_and_Vetterli.jpg
      Snider_and_Vetterli.jpg
      27.9 KB · Views: 355
    • Vetterli_1.jpg
      Vetterli_1.jpg
      51.3 KB · Views: 328
    • Snider_1.jpg
      Snider_1.jpg
      53.5 KB · Views: 324
    • Snider_EP.jpg
      Snider_EP.jpg
      67.3 KB · Views: 331
    • Snider_Arabic.jpg
      Snider_Arabic.jpg
      65 KB · Views: 325
    Last edited:

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    OK, I'm calling you out on this one. They DID NOT follow you home. I bet you BROUGHT them home yourself! Liar, liar, pants on fire.

Man up, accept responsibility for your actions, and admit that you need help.

Then carry on......:lol2:

The Arabic translation (roughly) is 'Allah sucks the big one'.

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    OK, I'm calling you out on this one. They DID NOT follow you home. I bet you BROUGHT them home yourself! Liar, liar, pants on fire.

Man up, accept responsibility for your actions, and admit that you need help.

Well ... I put them into the trunk for the ride home, so in that respect, they followed me. It's a sickness, and I can't get past Step One in the program yet. I guess I haven't hit rock bottom. :sad20:

Fallschirmjaager

Consumer Whore
    Aug 16, 2009
    Airstrip One/MoCo
    It's been far too long since I spoke any Arabic and when I did it was Iraqi (which is kind of like the ebonics of Arabic) so I can't tell you what it means but if you ask a native Arabic speaker what "Ahzbey kghedagh" means that'll get you the first part (two words on the right side). My Pashto and Dari are coming along nicely and they use mostly the same alphabet. The word on the left I can't see well enough to transliterate.

The numbers are read left to right just like in English and are "2197" on the left and "979" on the right. It's currently the year 1392 by the Islamic calendar so I doubt either is a date stamp but they could very well mean something to someone more familiar with the rifle.

Neat acquisitions! Congrats!

Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    Machodoc, you find all the coolest toys. I might have to sneak around and follow behind you just to get the crumbs that you miss, if there are any.

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Machodoc, you find all the coolest toys. I might have to sneak around and follow behind you just to get the crumbs that you miss, if there are any.

Thanks, Mooseman.

I've said almost exactly the same thing to Mawkie, Sled, and others in the past. It's nice to hear someone saying that about me for a change.

Just keep looking. You find stuff sometimes, and sometimes you don't.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom