• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Someone I know bought a Kreighoff after switching from a BT 99. Their averages are lower than what they used to be but after being so deep into it for cash they’re too blind to see it and understandably so it seems.
    To each his own I guess especially if confidence is a factor and you have the coins for a hobby that you enjoy.
    For grins, I shot my last round yesterday on my Wife's BT-99. She has the micro with the adjustable LOP, although she's never had it dialed out - LOP is currently at 13.25" and that's about right for her.

In any case, I shot a 22 with it having never shot it once before, and I'm thinking about getting my own full-sized BT-99 - there are worse guns I could get for shooting trap singles, that's for sure!

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    Some one I know bought a Kreighoff after switching from a BT 99. Their averages are lower than what they used to be but after being so deep into it for cash they’re too blind to see it and understandably so it seems.
    To each his own I guess especially if confidence is a factor and you have the coins for a hobby that you enjoy.

Last time I shot trap was like 11 years ago at Harvey’s in Darlington, just 16 yard singles. I didn’t really feel it but a few peeps I shoot with were going so I took a wall hanger, 20 gauge J Stevens bolt action 1960s, probably 25 inch barrel, whatever it had for a front bead it had long fell off, real piece of shit.

Once I broke 24 I was like aite I must be feeling it , then the last target broke. It was one of the those funny things were everyone is gawking at the least likely looking person to ever do that with the worst gun out of the 30 or so people there. That’s what was great about trap, the consistency of when you’re turn was

I’m only good for sporting clays these days and momentum is my biggest issue, if we roll up behind slow squads I get iced. Sometimes you’re at places you can skip stations easily and sometimes not.

I’m not competitive or very good so I just go for the laughs/good company

rtse4me

Apr 12, 2013
    Howard County
    Hopefully this doesn't come across negative against these high dollar shotguns. I really don't mean it like that, I'm just trying to understand what makes an expensive shotgun expensive.

I've shot several different shotguns. From $200 break action single shot shotguns, to a $400 Mossberg pump, to a $1500 Weatherby semi-auto hunting shotguns. There was a noticeable difference between each of these. Is there as big of a difference between a $1500 shotgun and a $5000 shotgun?

Is there a huge difference between that $1500 Weatherby and that $5000 Beretta sporting shotgun.
    When people post about expensive shotguns it reminds me of couple guys.
    One guy ( A doctor) just took the "learn to shoot class" and then comes in a couple weeks later with a $100k Holland&Holland.
    Another guy who was a regular and Master class shooter decides to upgrade from his $900 Ruger Red Label to a $5000 Beretta. Sold the Beretta a week later.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    If we roll up behind slow squads I get iced.
    I've been on the trap line with folks who take a long time to get set, get their gun mounted, make sure everthing is just so, etc before the call the bird, and that kills momentum on the whole line. I tend to do better when their is steady momentum between shooters on the line.

When people post about expensive shotguns it reminds me of couple guys.
    One guy ( A doctor) just took the "learn to shoot class" and then comes in a couple weeks later with a $100k Holland&Holland.
    Another guy who was a regular and Master class shooter decides to upgrade from his $900 Ruger Red Label to a $5000 Beretta. Sold the Beretta a week later.
    When I bought my Browning Cynergy CX ($1700) I was really questioning whether or not the expense was justified - I wanted to get into shooting clays, but hadn't really dived in too much other than going a few times with the ol' 870 Wingmaster. That gun is chump change compared to what others spend on guns. At this point I'm looking to get a dedicated trap gun and I'm looking pretty hard at a plain Jane Browning BT-99. I can get one of those for about $1300 after the 8% Browning rebate going on and the Cabela's/Bass Pro military discount.

For where I am as a shooter, I feel like a BT-99 would be a justified expense. Mr. Holland & Holland up there? Yeah - no.

Aamdskeetshooter

Ultimate Member
    Dec 19, 2013
    Moco
    It's been my casual observation hanging out at the trap fields at AGC and seeing some of the guns there, that there is a definite difference in quality when the price bumps up, although some of that quality doesn't equate to a better shooting gun.

The most noticeable thing - and it's VERY noticeable - is quality of wood, fit, finish, and general aesthetics are all better on the more expensive guns - the expensive guns are virtually all nicely engraved and checkered. Less expensive guns are sometimes laser engraved, and checking is typically laser cut.

Functionally the thing I notice the most is how smooth the actions are and how tight the lockup is on the break guns, and the triggers. It seems like the lesser expense double guns all have heavier triggers - 7+ lbs - whereas the more expensive guns have lighter and/or adjustable triggers.

The higher expense guns are almost always adjustable in some capacity as well - most have adjustable combs and butt plates, some have adjustable length of pull, and some even have adjustments that can be made to the rib. Essentially, it gives the owner/shooter options to be able to custom fit the gun for the best possible performance. Theoretically.

There's also the idea that a more expensive, well-made gun will last longer than a cheaper gun. I'll say this - my wife's Browning BT-99 locks up so tight, after I clean and grease it, it squeezes most of that grease out when I close it up for the first time. The more she shoots it and more broken in it gets, the slicker and smoother it gets.

As others have said, it's absolutely possible to shoot well with a gun that doesn't cost a lot of money, but I do think that there is a benefit to spending a bit more. although I think there's probably a sweet spot to be found where functional quality meets price, and that's likely south of $5K.
    The Brownings and Berettas are the cheapest I recommend. The BT being a single barrel is a lot less labor intensive to manufacture than an O/U. It's just that it's a one trick pony. Both brands have been proven over decades. Many a hundred straight in Trap singles and Handicap have been shot with a BT99.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    The Brownings and Berettas are the cheapest I recommend. The BT being a single barrel is a lot less labor intensive to manufacture than an O/U. It's just that it's a one trick pony. Both brands have been proven over decades. Many a hundred straight in Trap singles and Handicap have been shot with a BT99.
    I really like the idea of the BT-99. There are more expensive versions of it made, but the basic BT-99 is everything it needs to be and nothing it doesn't. It doesn't even have a safety, and most models don't have ejectors - it's just clean, simple setup designed to break clays for trap singles - it's almost elegant in its simplicity. The trigger on my wife's breaks right at 5 lbs on the nose - just a nice, clean break.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom