• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    This answers the question. Forgot about stamp fee and was only thinking about resale value - just like selling a firearm. The value only comes from the original purchasers pleasure while using it.

As far as having baffles replaced /repaired, I'd bet that this costs about 1/2 of the original purchase price. So, if purchase price was $600, then repair would be $300 or so. Just conjecture.

But it saves you the $200 stamp. That makes it a deal.

OnTarget

Ultimate Member
    Mar 29, 2009
    WV
    Any reason I couldn't suppress a Ruger Mini-14 Ranch 5.56 rifle (581 series) with a YHM Phantom 5.56 suppressor. The YHM comes with a (QD) 1/2"X28 flash hider.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Any reason I couldn't suppress a Ruger Mini-14 Ranch 5.56 rifle (581 series) with a YHM Phantom 5.56 suppressor. The YHM comes with a (QD) 1/2"X28 flash hider.

Save yourself some money and buy the YHM Phantom 762 LTA. Whisper quiet and will work on any .30 cal. including 300 blk. and .308 :thumbsup:

OnTarget

Ultimate Member
    Mar 29, 2009
    WV
    Save yourself some money and buy the YHM Phantom 762 LTA. Whisper quiet and will work on any .30 cal. including 300 blk. and .308 :thumbsup:

What about the Yankee Hill Machine .30 Cal Phantom LT? Wouldn't that be comparable?

In the question above, I was really asking more about the Mini-14 Ranch than the YHM .556 suppressor itself. I wanted to know if it is adaptable/compatible with these YHM suppressors we are discussing.

Boss94

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    Great Video Wayne !! I have 2 of the Tirant 45Ms on the way . Question for you. Who makes that bullet trap you have? I have been looking for 1 about that size and for the life of me can't seem to find 1 ?

Wayne1one

gun aficionado
    Feb 13, 2011
    Bowie, MD
    Great Video Wayne !! I have 2 of the Tirant 45Ms on the way . Question for you. Who makes that bullet trap you have? I have been looking for 1 about that size and for the life of me can't seem to find 1 ?
    Thanks, will the trap belongs to Engage they enabled me to complete that video since I really didn't have anywhere to film at the time. But I found a similar one here

http://mgmtargets.com/bullet-traps/rifle-clearing-trap

Not sure if this is the same one, but it has a similar footprint.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    What about the Yankee Hill Machine .30 Cal Phantom LT? Wouldn't that be comparable?

In the question above, I was really asking more about the Mini-14 Ranch than the YHM .556 suppressor itself. I wanted to know if it is adaptable/compatible with these YHM suppressors we are discussing.

Yep, I realize that. Just a personal experience. I first bought a 5.56 can, then a 762 can. Now I'm shopping for a 9mm can and I'm thinking a should just go for a .45 can. See what I'm saying. If I could give anyone advice on buying a can, it would be to start large and work your way down in calibers if needed. If you're not a rich man (and I certainly ain't), you could save yourself some money and time. I've really learned a lot from this thread thanks to all the contributors here.

OnTarget

Ultimate Member
    Mar 29, 2009
    WV
    Yep, I realize that. Just a personal experience. I first bought a 5.56 can, then a 762 can. Now I'm shopping for a 9mm can and I'm thinking a should just go for a .45 can. See what I'm saying. If I could give anyone advice on buying a can, it would be to start large and work your way down in calibers if needed. If you're not a rich man (and I certainly ain't), you could save yourself some money and time. I've really learned a lot from this thread thanks to all the contributors here.

I started with 5.56 can and a .22, and realize what you saying is correct. Why wouldn't you start with a .30 cal one to cover all bases, rather than a .45? Or, is .45 considered to be the one covering all bases; I thought it was a .30 to be able to get .300 BLK and .308.
    Thanks for your responses. Enjoying this.

parttimer

Ultimate Member
    Oct 10, 2013
    Calvert
    I started with 5.56 can and a .22, and realize what you saying is correct. Why wouldn't you start with a .30 cal one to cover all bases, rather than a .45? Or, is .45 considered to be the one covering all bases; I thought it was a .30 to be able to get .300 BLK and .308.

I don't think there is a single size silencer that will cover all sizes. With the exception of some of the new hybrid style silencers. These look kinds cool but as with anything else it will be a jack of all trades and master of none.

Typically a .30 can is considered a good cover all for most of your rifle suppression.
    A .45 can is generally a good can to cover most of your pistol caliber rounds.

A .308 rifle round will fit through a .45 pistol can but the rifle round will generate too much pressure for the pistol can and could lead to a catastrophic failure.

The general consensus says that a .30 cal rifle can, a .45 cal pistol can, and a rimfire (multi cal) can should have you covered for most of your suppression needs. Obviously there are exceptions to these generalities. If you own some of the maginum cal rifles or a .50 rifle/pistol you will need to get a specialty can for it.
    I hope this helps.
    P.S. I am no expert on this subject I have just been reading up a lot on it before I start dropping tons of money on cans.

LargemouthAss

Dec 27, 2012
    Buying a 30 caliber can to cover multiple guns works but if you are like me and take multiple guns every trip to the range that suppressor is going to get hot and be real tough to swap from gun to gun. Getting a 30 caliber can for your rifles and a .45 can for your pistols seems like the better way to go.

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    Why wouldn't you start with a .30 cal one to cover all bases, rather than a .45? Or, is .45 considered to be the one covering all bases; I thought it was a .30 to be able to get .300 BLK and .308.

It's a matter of what can be fired through what, and the differences in construction and toughness between rifle and pistol cans. There are also differences in mounting systems that need to be considered.

As far as pressures go: supersonic rifle rounds generally produce enough blast pressure at the muzzle that they would destroy pistol cans, which are generally designed for the lower pressures produced by pistols. Thus, even though a .30 cal bullet will fit through the bore of a .45 cal suppressor, if that is a pistol suppressor it will likely destroy it. (There are exceptions to this rule, notably the SilencerCo Hybrid and the Griffin Optimus, though the optimus only has a 9mm bore, so you can't shoot .45 through it.) Rifle cans designed to handle supersonic rifle rounds and the pressures they create will be able to handle pistol rounds and the pressures that they create, but they have to have a large enough bore and a mounting system that will allow the pistol to operate properly.

As far as caliber goes: A .30 rifle can will allow you to fire any rifle that's smaller than .30 cal, and any pistol that is smaller than .30 cal IF you can find a mount for that can which will allow it to be mounted on a pistol and still function. Note that 9mm is larger than .30 cal, so most popular pistol rounds are out with a .30 cal can. You could shoot rimfire and 5.7 or something through it though. Likewise, a .45 cal pistol can will handle any pistol caliber round that's smaller than .45 cal. They will also handle .300BLK subsonic rounds, because a) the caliber is small enough to fit through the bore, and b) the blast pressures created are in the range normally created by pistols, so it won't blow the can apart.

As far as mounts go: on anything with a fixed barrel (rifles, and some pistols, like revolvers and some others...) you want a mount that holds the can in a fixed position. If the can moves relative to the bore while the bullet is traveling through it, you'll end up destroying the can. Rifle cans will come with some variety of fixed mount - Quick Detach, Direct Thread, etc. For a pistol that uses a Browning or like action where the barrel rotates or tilts during the firing cycle, you want a Nielsen device or booster in the mount. This provides some extra spring tension that in effect decouples the suppressor from the barrel during recoil and will help the action cycle properly - otherwise the weight of the can hanging off of the front of the barrel will prevent the pistol from cycling properly.

So, as far as "covering all the bases" goes: In theory, you could get one can that had a large enough bore, tough enough construction, and all the right mounts available to be able to shoot it on just about any rifle or pistol. Right now, the only can on the market that does this is the SilencerCo Hybrid. However, it suffers from the "jack of all trades and master of none" syndrome: It's big and heavy for a rifle can, it doesn't suppress smaller calibers as well as a dedicated can sized for those calibers, etc.

If you want to be able to cover all the bases and shoot rifles .30 and smaller, pistols, and rimfire, what most people do is this:

.30 cal rifle can - this will allow you to shoot rifles .30 and smaller in diameter. This includes .308, .300BLK, .223, 5.56, etc, etc.

.45 cal pistol can - this will allow you to shoot pistol calibers smaller than .45. You can get these that are "user serviceable" which is a bonus - i.e. you can disassemble them for cleaning.

Dedicated rimfire can - rimfire is dirty, and while you could shoot it through either of the above, most people want a rimfire can because they don't want to gunk up the other cans with lead, and also because a dedicated rimfire can can be VERY efficient.

Last edited:

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    Yes. Not to oversimplify, but what these guys are saying is what I meant. .45 for pistols and subguns and .30cal. Cans for rifles. You'd still want a .22 can for those which are not too expensive. Also, some .45 cans have 9mm end caps available.

Quote error there?

Also, sorry for continuing to take your thread off the rails.

My reccomendation for a 9mm can is the Rugged Obsidian. Because I'm turning into a Rugged fanboy.

:P

94hokie

Mar 29, 2015
    Severna Park, MD
    Yes. Not to oversimplify, but what these guys are saying is what I meant. .45 for pistols and subguns and .30cal. Cans for rifles. You'd still want a .22 can for those which are not too expensive. Also, some .45 cans have 9mm end caps available.

Just be warned, suppressors are addictive. I bought 9mm and .30 cal cans last year figuring that would be it. I now have three more on form 4's waiting.:D

OnTarget

Ultimate Member
    Mar 29, 2009
    WV
    All the contributors this morning have been very informative. I think I get it now, although different brands will get different opinions.
    One thing I'm glad that Hawkeye mentioned was that "9mm is larger than .30 cal, so most popular pistol rounds are out with a .30 cal can." I just hadn't got that far in the thought process, and what he said certainly is important.

It looks like most everyone is in agreement: .30 cal for rifles; .45 for pistols, and dedicated .22 for rimfire. There are some exceptions though (there always are), so everyone needs to be aware of these.

Hawkeye, Outrider, & others input appreciated.

OnTarget

Ultimate Member
    Mar 29, 2009
    WV
    Is the 300 BLK regarded as having more kickback than the 5.56/223. I feel quite sure that the .308 has more kickback. I'm getting older, so I don't need to be taking on more powerful weapons. Some people I know actually trade down the line, say, from .45's to 9mm.
    I ask because I already have the 5.56 suppressor, so I may not want to go to .30 cal if kickback is noticeable. Still thinking out what is best for me.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Quote error there?

Also, sorry for continuing to take your thread off the rails.

My reccomendation for a 9mm can is the Rugged Obsidian. Because I'm turning into a Rugged fanboy.

:P

Holy thread-crossing crap Batman! How the hell did that happen? My phone is realm taking a dump!

Looks to me you are still on the rails. I don't mind thread drift anyway. I've done it enough to others.:o

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Just be warned, suppressors are addictive. I bought 9mm and .30 cal cans last year figuring that would be it. I now have three more on form 4's waiting.:D

You said that right. I'm going shopping for #3 here and I still don't have one for .22.:o

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Is the 300 BLK regarded as having more kickback than the 5.56/223. I feel quite sure that the .308 has more kickback. I'm getting older, so I don't need to be taking on more powerful weapons. Some people I know actually trade down the line, say, from .45's to 9mm.
    I ask because I already have the 5.56 suppressor, so I may not want to go to .30 cal if kickback is noticeable. Still thinking out what is best for me.

Recoil on 300 BLM is more like 5.56. Very manageable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom