• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DHCraig

Aug 21, 2012
    South County
    Anyone have any book (reliable) load data for 9mm Luger using Red Dot? I'm adding a few more data manuals to my library but until I lay eyes on each it is a hit or miss proposition for specific data. Bottom line, I've been reloading since the mid-80's and have worked up and been using Red Dot for years now in all my .45 ACP loads with great success (bowling pins off-hand at 50 yards with a 1917 production 1911 Colt) but given my supply of powder and the current price insanity I'd like to work up a Red Dot load for my M9.

Though looking for 115 grain FMJ loads because that is what I have a supply of, I normally use 124g plated bullets in my 92F with Accurate #2 as well as VV N340 for training. Loads I worked up for both do very well, but both of those powders also serve my weapons in 9mm Makarov and 7.62 x 25 as the only two suited to the limited applicable hard data I have. No doubt there are other formulas for the latter two chamberings but aside from a CZ82 I don't shoot those nearly as much, so...

I've been full circle through studied internet searches for Red Dot -as well as Green Dot which I need to use and would welcome data for- but without published data it is the usual unsubstantiated web crapshoot to trust what I've found. Older hard data is fine for what I need, for my Red Dot supply is getting long in the tooth and it will take me well over a decade to use it all for .45 ACP at my current use level.

Thanks!

Aamdskeetshooter

Ultimate Member
    Dec 19, 2013
    Moco
    I don’t reload metallic but the fact that Alliant doesn’t list any 9mm loads using red dot should tell you something. My guess is that red dot isn’t hot enough for 9mm. Meaning you can’t fit enough of it in the case to produce the right velocity and pressure. With 9mm you use so little powder per pound I’d try to find a pound of powder. There’s a thread on here about trading supplies. Good luck. Be safe.

https://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/Powder.aspx?powderid=4

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    If you need 7.62x25 data let me know. I’ve got several manuals and I think 3 or 4 of my 5 have lost data. One, I think Hornady, lists magnum powder load data pushing it as fast as 1700 or 1750fps from a Cz52 (H110 I think?). Other magnum load data. The other manuals are all standard pistol powders pushing 1300-1500 max. Not a ton of Makarov data, but I’ve got a bit.

I am going to work up a Tok CFE Pistol load here soon. No published data anywhere, but someone has a detailed video of working up a load with CFE Pistol out of an M57 (which I also have) working it up to about 1650fps.

I can check for other red dot loads for 9mm. Pretty sure I’ve seen red dot and green dot load data in a couple of my manuals.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I have used red dot for 9mm during one of the previous panics years ago
    4.4gr CCI SPP 115gr copper washed bullet from xtreme 1.130" 1105fps from a Walther P1

A Lee bo0k showed it a very narrow usable range of 4.3-4.5gr (1114fps-1150fps) Min OAL 1.120"

Alliant data from 2004 listed the following:
    115gr FMJ 4.5gr Min OAL 1.120" 1150fps 36,000psi 4" barrel Winchester SPP

I did not really like the Lee' published narrow load range and never used it again as I had other powders become available. Back then, I weighed EVERY round. I did not have my Lyman 55 powder thrower back then and lots of time in the morning waiting between 3 different bus stop for Kids in Elementary, Middle and High School. Yea, weighing each one was painful but it kept me shooting. Yea I reloaded 1500 rounds that way. When my buddy gifted me the Lyman powder thrower and the turret press, it was like I was in heaven as powder became available and I had other choices. Being a noob at the time I was worried that pressures would take off if I had a heavy load.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    According to my spread sheet the following manuals list at least one, may be more, recipes for using Red Dot in 9mm handgun.
    D = Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook 3rd Edition; Lyman Products Co.; copy write 1980, printed 2010
    E = Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook 4th Edition; Lyman Products Co.; copy write 2010
    F = Lyman Reloading Handbook 49th Edition; copy write 2008, printed 2008

All three also list Green Dot for 9mm and E&F list Blue Dot.

My spread sheet was made for a different purpose but it shows some powders and what reference has at least one load listed. It does not give any details as to bullet type or weight and I am too busy at the moment to dig them out and look for specifics but at least you have places to look.

The following references do not have any recipes for any -Dot powder for 9mm. So you can skip these.
    A = Handloader’s Guide for Smokeless powders; IMR Powder Company; 1990
    B = Hodgdon’s 2011 Annual Reloading Manual; Hodgdon Powder Co.; 2011
    C = Lyman Ideal Handbook No. 40; The Lyman Gun Sight Corp.; 1955 (lot of cast loads)

Last edited:

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    My take is the OP already has a can of Red Dot, a 9mm pistol , and 115fmj bullets , and specifically wants them to play together , more so than seeking the Ultimate Powder for 9x19 .

Another source I didn't reference has much lower starting range , but also commentary that below 3.8- 3.9 very mild , probably not cycle .

4.5- 4.6gr come up as common user recommendations ..

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Any list/ book/ etc dosen't list every possible ( safe) combinations due to space/ efforts limitations . The emphasis is on most popular, and/ or newer products .

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom