• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kronusthebonus

Jackwagon
    Jul 26, 2010
    Hampstead
    So after getting a couple hundred rounds of ammo through my new 9mm XDm (4.5), I'm now shopping for some good home defense ammunition.

I've been scouring both this forum and XDtalk for information and comparisons, but I'm having a hard time deciding on which ones to go with. Ultimately, I will probably end up buying a few boxes of each and firing them off at the range, but I wanted to see if anyone had any opinions or shot either of these.

I'm leaning towards to the BB 147+P+ just because, well, I've heard great things about Buffalo Bore and 147+P+ just sounds like it would penetrate pretty damn good...

What say you ?

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Get some of both and see if your XD chokes on any of them. If it works well with both, I'd get the Speers since their Gold Dot bullets are supposed to be great. And +P+ will beat the snot out of XD if you shoot a lot of it. Just sayin'.

Jim

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    Get some of both and see if your XD chokes on any of them. If it works well with both, I'd get the Speers since their Gold Dot bullets are supposed to be great. And +P+ will beat the snot out of XD if you shoot a lot of it. Just sayin'.

Jim

Also it'll beat the sheeit out of it as well and definately not a steady diet for it to digest; may wind up with diarhea:sad20:

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    grabbed some 124 +p+ buffalo bore jhp at cabelas today. looks like they're loading it with xtp's. I've gotta give these a try through the p99 in milk jugs filled with water n shredded newsprint to see how they do. they're supposed to be rated at 1300 fps.
    Browning Hi Power MK111, 4.6 inch barrel------------1330 fps
    Beretta 92F, 4.9 inch barrel-------------------------------1304 fps
    Glock 19, 4 inch barrel------------------------------------1296 fps
    ...that from their website. should be fun stuff. cabelas had them for $21/box...cheaper than just about anywhere.

JoeBobOutfitters.com

Industry Partner
    Oct 20, 2010
    Hays, KS
    The Buffalo Bore used to load them with Speed Gold Dot's, but now they use another holllowpoint that might not hold up as well, at least in some of their rounds I've heard. All of my stuff is "old stock" with gold dots for my .380.

I like the 50rd "LEO" packs of 9mm/45ACP Speer Gold Dots +P. They used to be pretty cheap, but have creeped up in price.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    I have some Black Hills 124gr standard pressure JHPs here. The M&P has liked them so far. Actually, the M&P has eaten everything I have fed it.

The bullet used in the Black Hills load looks like the Hornaday XTP bullet.

I don't see a need for +P+.

Aug 2, 2007
    Harford County
    I only use what is listed here:

http://ammo.ar15.com/project/Self_Defense_Ammo_FAQ/index.htm#9mm

All of those have passed the FBI tests of penetration, expansion, and weight retention and will work just fine.

Buffalo Bore is loaded HOT and will definitely punish your gun a bit plus they use bullets available from the regular manufacturers. It also sounds like their current load uses the XTP bullet which is inferior to a lot of others (namely HST, Ranger T, Gold Dot, and Barnes XPB).

Personally I have 147grain Federal HST's in my bedside gun, but I also have a good bit of 147 grain Winchester Ranger T and 147 grain Speer Gold Dot.

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    I chose Rem. Golden Sabre 124 +P's for it's low flash. Most defensive situations are said to be in low light...(or that's just PR bull).

The Rem. Golden Sabre 125gr .357's are low recoil and low flash, so they are in my little 5-shot revolver.

rayg5102

Apr 12, 2009
    Frederick
    I'm still learning all about this stuff. So pardon if I ask a dumb question.
    I have an XDM 9mm and I shoot WWB 114grain at the range. Have about 1000 rounds stored up. I kind of figure with 18 rounds in the magazine, if someone comes into my house, that should do enough damage...assuming I hit him?

am I mis-informed?

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    am I mis-informed?

It would not be the preferred way of taking care of that kind of issue. The FMJ projectiles don't expand and penetrate with a very narrow wound canal. As a result, the effect on the target is less than in a self-defense round and the risk of penetrating the target and hitting something behind him is going to be higher.

For political reasons, NYPD used to carry FMJ ammo. The experience gained was that occasionally the effect on the person being shot was delayed and that innocent bystanders got hit.

engineer2009

Oct 10, 2010
    Howard County
    andreleger2001 on youtube has some interesting bullet videos. There are penetration tests using jugs of water and expansion tests where he fires into a barrel of water.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    I'm still learning all about this stuff. So pardon if I ask a dumb question.
    I have an XDM 9mm and I shoot WWB 114grain at the range. Have about 1000 rounds stored up. I kind of figure with 18 rounds in the magazine, if someone comes into my house, that should do enough damage...assuming I hit him?

am I mis-informed?

visit brassfetcher.com

Baccusboy

Teecha, teecha
    Oct 10, 2010
    Seoul
    I've traded e-mails with andreleger2001 on a few occasions. He's an honest guy who doesn't play favorites. Look at the size of the Federal HST rounds expanded in this video!

A guy named tnoutdoors9 also does great tests shooting into jugs of water mixed with newspaper, jeans, etc.

My personal favorite rounds are about anything in Winchester Ranger SXT (new version), or Federal HST. Speer Gold Dot +P isn't a bad choice, either.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    The Buffalo Bore used to load them with Speed Gold Dot's, but now they use another holllowpoint that might not hold up as well, at least in some of their rounds I've heard. All of my stuff is "old stock" with gold dots for my .380.

I like the 50rd "LEO" packs of 9mm/45ACP Speer Gold Dots +P. They used to be pretty cheap, but have creeped up in price.

BB is using Montana Golds as they say GD's are just not available. DT is using Nosler same reason. I just got some 180g 10mm from BB and DT to see what I'm gonna carry in my G29. Both chron at over 1300 FPS. I'm sure one of these will be my carry ammo.

Also hear good things about
    Swampfox and Georgia Arms

www.swampfoxgunworks.com
    www.georgia-ams.com

Last edited:

EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010
    I didn't see Hornady Critical Defense 115gr (1140 fps muzzle) mentioned. Along with Golden Sabres, I've fired both (but not in a defensive situation) and have been happy with their performance.

Has anyone else tested Hornady ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    BuffaloBrent

Latest threads

Top Bottom