• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

boothdoc

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 23, 2008
    Frederick county
    Its either you like glocks or you dont. How about a nice HK USP 9mm
    HK reliability, double action trigger( get a match trigger), Thumb safety / decocker( cocked and locked), high capacity , extremely accurate
    and designed specifically for the American shooter ( Koolaid).
    I have to warn you... A USP looks naked without a matching suppressor.

I recently started shooting a HKtactical 45 and love it. the only issue I have is finding a holster for it with the tall supressor sights.
    Now the usp9 looks like sagariland makes a nice left hand tactical holster which would work

Stealth Pants

Nov 19, 2009
    I also vote for the Sig 226...awesome firearm. As many have stated....go to the range and try out as many guns as you can. Get the one that fits you the best then shoot away.

spartan2250

Big Boss Mann
    Out of those choices - the M&P or the XD are best. The M&P handles slightly better and has the adjustable grip and a lower bore axis but the XD has a slightly better trigger. Both point great and are reliable. Sig 226 is great if you can deal with the DA/SA trigger and the price tag (I just got the Sig USPSA 9mm and it is fantastic). The Glock is a decent weapon but has a much harsher recoil impulse than the M&P or XD, especially in .40, and is less pointable for most. It also has crap plastic sights and is not reliable with a light/laser mounted due to frame torque. The M&P is engineered to beat the Glock at everything - I have been through their Armorer's school and I can tell you the M&P is a better weapon. On second thought, throw down $1800 and try a nice H&K P7M8 or M13 - it puts them all to shame.

hakr100

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    100%I have bought and sold more handguns than I care to remember. I'll try it out in the store and it will feel "OK", and I'll buy it and shoot it awhile, and realize it just doesn't fit, or that I have to put too much concentration into shooting it well.

I was vaguely aware of the CZ handguns, but knew very little about them. I more associated them with "C&R" than with modern and refined firearms. The modern CZs, like the 75B series, certainly don't get the exposure they deserve.

A friend offered me some basic handgun combat instruction and I used his CZ 75B and 75B Compact. These are not C&R handguns, but very good examples of modern semi-auto technology. Steel frame & slide, controls are similar to a 1911, but they are also DA capable. Most important, they felt very comfortable and well-balanced. They were a pleasure to shoot, and easy to shoot well. I shot both handguns better than almost anything I've ever tried.

After shooting my friend's 75Bs, I bought a P-01, a relatively compact 14+1 9mm that fits my hand perfectly. The P-01 is an alloy frame DA/SA model, with a frame mounted decocker. After shooting that for awhile, I decided to get another, heavier gun for some of the range work, and bought an SP-01 Tactical, a full size 18+1 9mm. This is also a DA/SA frame-mounted decocker model, but with a steel frame and full size grip, making it heavier and much smoother to shoot targets with all day.

I am VERY pleased with both guns, and have since bought a third one, another SP-01 Tactical in .40 S&W. Operation has been trouble free and accuracy surpasses my ability to shoot them.

The only gripe that I would have is that the put-of-the-box triggers are usually very rough and it takes a few hundred rounds to smooth them out. This is a normal condition and not a defect, but when one typically handles one in the store, it is quite noticeable.

While I prefer the decocker models myself, there are quite a few models available that can be carried cocked & locked and it would be hard to imagine anyone who could not find a model to get happy with.

IMO, anyone in the market for a semi-auto would be doing themselves a disservice if they did not look at the modern CZ's.

The CZ Custom Shop will fix that trigger up for you fast and cheap.

Here's my SP-01 Shadow with a Custom Shop SA trigger:

Shadow-1.jpg

ozwyn

Ultimate Member
    Apr 21, 2008
    Richardson, Texas
    I will buck the trend and go for the beretta 92fs

why?

Because it does everything in terms of trigger and ergonomics "ok" and serves as a decent baseline.

I think for someone learning to shoot 9mm, you do NOT want a great trigger, or a excessively propietary action.

That rules out the glock action trigger, or match grade triggers.

You also don't want perfect reliability for a training gun. You want to learn what its like for a rare stovepipe, or a light primer hit. Of course, with any of the guns listed, that won;t be too common unless you select less than best quality ammo.

But its for training. You probably should aim for a training weapon that reflects a common use weapon that behaves as a "good generic average 9mm".

I think the beretta fits that role well.

The other guns are great carry guns, or defense guns, but not necessarily training guns.

... but I might be off my rocker here.

trbon8r

Ultimate Member
    For me there is the 1911, and then all "others". :innocent0

In the "other" category I've owned and still own quite a few that are good guns. In the double action category, I'd look real close at a S&W 5906. I love mine. It is built like a tank, and being that it is an all steel gun it is a tad heavy, but that makes it a super soft shooter. Double taps on steel targets are easy. Not to mention the action on the 5906 is smoother than any other DA auto I've tried including Beretta and Sig. Like I said, the only gripe at all with the big Smiths is they are a tad heavy. My Beretta 92 is a good gun too, and if you like them I wouldn't try and talk you out of it.

In the end, I don't get too wrapped up in which gun to buy. There are so many choices, and they almost all run well. If you aren't lured in by the obvious superiority of the 1911 ;) , then buy what you like best. They pretty much all run well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Pureblood

Latest threads

Top Bottom