• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Nice demo. I realize your are shooting fast in order to keep things interesting, but you'll do better when trying for distance with a long gun if you practice some fundamentals on breathing. 3 seconds in-3 seconds out. Doing that three times between each shot will definitely help with accuracy. You need ya a shooting bench. :)

I've shot my AR9 pistols with 5" barrels out to 100 yds(our longest range). I get about a 4-5" group off a rest and about a 10" group off hand, standing. Drop on a 147g hand load is 10-12". If I aim at the head on a 50% silhouette, my shots drop in at center mass.

slyitry

Jul 28, 2009
    Nice demo. I realize your are shooting fast in order to keep things interesting, but you'll do better when trying for distance with a long gun if you practice some fundamentals on breathing. 3 seconds in-3 seconds out. Doing that three times between each shot will definitely help with accuracy. You need ya a shooting bench. :)

I've shot my AR9 pistols with 5" barrels out to 100 yds(our longest range). I get about a 4-5" group off a rest and about a 10" group off hand, standing. Drop on a 147g hand load is 10-12". If I aim at the head on a 50% silhouette, my shots drop in at center mass.
    you are correct as I did not want to make the video too long. I also wanted to give myself an advantage by using a lighter weight bullet knowing that a real life scenario it would probably be a 115 or 124 grain bullet used.
    I generally use a folding table as a bench but I like shooting prone.

slyitry

Jul 28, 2009
    I heard and read the 5.7x28 is superior to the 9mm in every way except cost.
    I've only shot that ammo twice in my life. The first time was a Calvert Deputy that had an FN 5.7 which had some serious muzzle flash and the second was an AR conversion that kept jamming. Those along with the availability and cost kept me away.

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    My AR-9 pistol with a 10.5" barrel was built for a specific purpose, and works as intended. It is zeroed @ 100 yards and using 124 grain, 1150 FPS loads results in an arc of about 3-1/2" from barrel to target. I have been very pleased with it's accuracy within that distance, especially when shooting from a rest.

The brace rule BS is keeping it at home for now, but it is a ton of fun to shoot. Chose 9mm specifically because it is likely the most abundant and widely used ammo on the planet. Understand it's limitations and do not expect more than it is capable of giving.

I look at 9mm as a 100 yard ammunition. Beyond that, velocity loss limits it effectiveness, IMO.

Hibs

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2015
    Maryland
    Nice video... 5.56 is pretty dang good out to 300 without a doubt.

9mm on the other hand, it takes some work to push it past 100. Definitely need a reticle with holdovers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom